[Hpn] Homeless man charged in dog beatings

W.C.Tinker wtinker@metrocast.net
Thu, 2 Jan 2003 10:42:06 -0500

By Associated Press, 1/2/2003
BARRINGTON, R.I. (AP) A homeless man is charged with beating two dogs owned
by a woman who had taken him in. One of the animals later died.
Michael Kaner, 56, of no permanent address, was arraigned in District Court
Tuesday on two counts of domestic malicious injury to or killing of animals,
and ordered held on $20,000 bail with surety. The case was continued to Jan.
13.
He was paroled in December 1997 for the 1981 ''stomp beating'' and
strangling of his 81-year-old uncle, with whom he lived in Pawtucket.
Kaner had been staying with the Barrington woman for about a week, police
said. When the woman found her Jack Russell terrier, Feather, lying beaten
and unresponsive late Sunday night, the police said Kaner told her that
Knight, her Labrador retriever, had attacked the smaller dog.
On Monday, a veterinarian said he called the woman to tell her Feather had
died. The woman put Kaner on a RIPTA bus bound for downtown Providence that
afternoon, before she discovered that her other dog was also injured, the
police and the veterinarian said.
Barrington police found Kaner in Providence.
''We believe there's enough supporting evidence that the individual
committed both acts, but we want to make sure that the first dog wasn't
injured by the larger dog,'' Police Chief John LaCross told The Providence
Journal.

 Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company