[Hpn] Hate-Crime.Net-Fighting Hate Crimes, Helping Hate Crime Victims

Harmony Kieding worldhome@thesociety.net
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 02:33:16 -0800

Hi all-

Am passing this information along about the Hate-Crime Network. I had sent them
an email asking what kinds of hate were covered by Hate Crimes Network (thinking
specifically about attacks/murders of homeless people) and here is their reply,
followed by an example of an incident report (and I don't know why they thought
my name was "Rusty" LOL but whatever works)
- Harmony
Stop Hate Crimes Against Homeless!
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Agora/7076/stophatecrime.html
-------------------------------------
Normal
From:  "LAMBDA staff" <admin@lambda.org>
To:  "worldhome@thesociety.net" <worldhome@thesociety.net>
Date:  Wed, 26 Feb 2003 19:31:02 -0700
Subject:  RE: Question:How many kinds of hate does hate crimes cover?

Rusty,

Thank you for your email. We take all hate incidents and hate crimes
very seriously. The operational definition we use includes all
expressions of hate/intolerance directed at a person or property that
is based, in whole or part, on bias. That certainly includes hate
crimes that target a specific group of people such as the homeless.
That's not to say that everyone has the same definition; individual
states or other organizations, for example, often define hate crimes
less broadly. We also document incidents, such as name-calling, which
may or may not be crimes but are clearly expressions of prejudice.

Please help keep us informed of such incidents by reporting them at
http://www.HateCrimeNet.org

And thanks for being a volunteer! We know that our victim support
efforts really work and we thank you for your participation.

Sincerely,

Jack Spinner
Volunteer

Anti-Violence Project (AVP)
email: AVP@lambda.org
http://www.LAMBDA.org
office/fax: 208.246.2292

Use your computer to help victims of hate crimes.
Join the HATE-CRIME NETWORK
http://www.HATE-CRIME.NET

AVP and HATE-CRIME.NET are divisions of LAMBDA GLBT Community Services, a non-profit

501(c)3 organization.
-------------------------------
An incident was just reported to the HATE-CRIME NETWORK. According to the report:

An African-American family discovered the "N word" spray-painted on the pavement

across the street from their home. Police later arrested two teens, one on
vandalism/hate-crime charges and another for suspected felony vandalism. Police

said that the youths expressed remorse for their actions and told police they
were
acting "drunk and stupid." Both youths, who were cited and released to their

parents' custody, reportedly wrote letters of apology to the family that was

victimized.

Go to http://hate-crime.website-works.com/OCC.htm to write to the victims involved
in
this incident. The HATE-CRIME NETWORK Case Tracking Number is S9935381

California has hate-crime laws that include bias-motivated violence and intimidation

based on race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, disability, gender,
and
sexual orientation. Details in this notice have not been verified and may have
been
changed to protect the identity of those affected.

This message was sent by the HATE-CRIME Network
http://www.HateCrimeNet.org

HATE-CRIME NETWORK promotes respect of human diversity through programs which
deal
with the problems of intolerance, prejudice, and hate. The HATE-CRIME NETWORK's

mission is to assist hate crime survivors, encourage hate incident reporting,
create
awareness about prejudice and intolerance, and promote community involvement
in an
effort prevent bias violence, reduce its impact, and eliminate its causes.

DONATE NOW
https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=admin%40lambda.org&item_name=HATE+CRIME+NET

WORK&image_url=http%3A//www.lambda.org/lambdaglbt.gif&return=http%3A//www.lam

bda.org/thanks.htm&cancel_return=http%3A//www.lambda.org&tax=0&currency_c
ode=USD

VOLUNTEER RESOURCES --
Just go to http://HateCrimeNet.org and press the 1 (the number 1 key) to access

the page. Remember: Volunteers are Number One!
___________________________________

LET THEM KNOW THAT YOU CARE

Send supportive messages to those affected by hate. Copy down the Incident Number

located at the bottom of each Incident Notice and go to:
http://www.hate-crime.net/OCC.htm

OTHER IMPORTANT STUFF:
Contact the HCN staff: AVP@lambda.org
HATE-CRIME NETWORK website: http://hate-crime.net
Volunteer resources page: http://hate-crime.net then press the number '1' (one)

on your keyboard
HCDN list: http://www.egroups.com/group/HCDN
Post message: HCDN@egroups.com
Subscribe: HCDN-subscribe@egroups.com
Digest: HCDN-digest@egroups.com
Hate Crime Alerts (only): HateCrimeAlert-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

HATE-CRIME NETWORK is a division of LAMBDA GLBT Community Services, a non-profit,

501(c)3 agency.