[Hpn] [HKU] Re: housing reality

UTB crew <nhutbp2001@yahoo.com> HKU@yahoogroups.com
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 05:32:53 +0000

Thank you for your replies. I'm feeling a little burn out and cynical
(Harmony Minnesota, hum I think tink told me you were in Norway or
something.) Minnesota of how I remember those years. My daughter was
born at the Mayo Clinic. I can totally relate to the tornado story
having been out there in the worst wind weather and the deepest and
coldest of winters.
Ginger, I agree about comfort levels in living conditions. I guess I
have learned to make due with too little for about too long. I once
lived on the reservation for a time and we had nothing but a shack.
But in those days of keroscene lanterns and cold pumped water, I
learned many things about myself and what I could do to survive. I've
probably done it ALL more than you gals as I hit the streets young,
and since I have been clean and sober now for about 16 years, I have
a lot of gratitude just to be alive. But you cant go around shoving
this down peoples throats and I suppose that is why I feel bad.
Afterall shes a young 24 year old mom and I have about another 25
years on her of life experiences.

Its funny these days I feel more comfortable aound my homeless
brothers and sisters than I do in "normal society" Its funny sitting
in college classews and explining to students and professors what the
school of hard knocks even looks like, at least from my perspective.

And its funny that I hook myself up to poverty groups  and just now
start to get a grip on the real picture of life.  I need to make a
conference call on the 20th for the National coalition's grassroots
and civil rights organizing project and I'm thinking I dont do enough
to be part of the group, but then I feel like someone has to stay on
top of things because if there are no watchers then what?

Kim, just joined our group, everybody say Hi.
Kim has been the coordinator of UTB since it started in 1998.
Shes been hanging out with me, putting up with me through shitty
conventions and boring conferences and still likes to hang out.
She's been around the block a time or two herself and got her degree
from school of hard knocks.

speaking of that school. I found an internet site that sells a
clothing line for school of hard knocks and even a place that will
send you a degree for $9.99

adding to the pile of crap today, I fell on my tail bone in the
parking lot tonight, and gave myself whiplash. The pipes froze in the
laundry room and the guy downstairs shoveled all the water that was
in the hall into the parkinglot which in turn froze. Then I hear from
my daughter, after getting home from a trip to the store that the
fire department was here because of the smell of gas in the hall.
Turns out the same dumb guy, friend of our landlord, pain in the ass
neighbor had a snowblower inside his apartment and was running it or
cleaning it or something.
The fire department had to secure the building and determine our
safety from fumes and still no one can get in touch with the
landlord, including the fire department.

Cool huh?!
hey but my check came in and I am going to pay my rent because it is
the only place I have to live and its its too damn cold to move into
the van and certainly my daughter doesnt want to go to a shleter with
the baby coming in 3 weeks.

have a good night.

cindy

--- In HKU@yahoogroups.com, sher-amie lewis <gingertea61@y...> wrote:

> I loved reading this post. It is so well said how we need more
gratitude for what we have.  We can save ourselves a lot of
exasperation when we find the good side. And it is far more important
to learn how to survive comfortably as possible in what we do have
around us.
> ginger
>  "UTB crew <nhutbp2001@y...>" <nhutbp2001@y...> wrote:Today I woke
up to about 20 inches of snow. Spent three hours
> shoveling just to get the van out and wondering why I still live in
> NH
> Anyhow, today's events.
> We have a new familiy that just moved into our building. Since they
> moved in we have heard nothing but complaints, statements
like, "I'm
> on TANF and Section 8 and I'm gonna get this building shut down."
The
> woman has complaints about her stove, a leak, the fact that the
> landlord doesnt shove, neighbors are too noisy for her, she wanted
> everyone to get togther and file a restraining order against a
> particular man in the buildig because he is loud and on and on.
> So I'm outside shoveling and in a bad mood having to haul snow from
> one lace to another and I am thinking why did the universe place
the
> family into my building if I am supposed to be some kind of low
> income advocate, organizer? What lesson am I suppose to learn? What
> am supposed to teach?
> Now I am $1100 behind on my rent waiting for a sudent loan check so
> can catch up, the snow is too deep for the mail to run, my daughter
> is too pregnant to be climbing over snow banks and I just keep
> shoveling.
>
> The new neighbor comes outside and walks up to me smoking a butt.
No
> [...]
> the problems with slum landlords and the landlord blacklist in NH
and
> how to make friends rather than isolate herself by making
complaints
> and how all of us are just trying to hold onto our housing no
matter
> how shitty it is or what we have to put up with because it is
better
> than sleeping in a car or under a bridge. I tild her that her being
> on housing doesnt really give her any special privelge other than
her
> rent is reduced because even if she complains to housing so much
and
> they begin to sanction the landlord, or stop payment she can be
> evicted for non-payment eventually when she cant afford it on her
> own. I told her that because she has a car that the City welfare
> department will put her family in a campground rather than a hotel
> and imagine what she will have to put up with then.And that no one
> was going to get together with her to do anything because we all
> realize the reality of our situation.
> I basically spewed none stop for a hour as I continued to shovel. I
> told her what homelessness looks like and feels like. From
> campgrounds to squats to the car, to doubling up to hanging on or
> clinging to wahtever shelter one can find. So the faucet leaks, at
> least she has water. I lacked compassion for her misery and I told
> her that she is creating it herself because of her lack of
graditude
> for housing.
> She didnt even have a chance to say a word. Then she quietly left.
> About an hour later she came up to borrow my shovel and pleasantly
> asked for it.
>
> I cant help but wonder where Hope has gove to.
> I cant help but wonder what I taught in that hour of lecture to her.
> I was thinking I was trying to give her survival skills so that she
> doesnt end up homeless, but somehow in that moment, I think I
spewed
> all of my frustrations about the world of the haves and have nots
> I think now as I read my messages from Michael Stoops (NCH) and
> others that we arent going to end homelessness because the status
quo
> of greed wont allow it. No matter ow much hosing gets built where
> ever, we will never catch up nor will be be able to afford housing.
> So in that survival skills are essential.
> How to live outside or in autos or abandon buildings.
> Where to get free food and other basic essentials. How to build
> communites amongst ourselves, because we will need each other as
> society continues through this great divide.
> My been there, done that attitude will only carry me so far, in
> reality it will be more like going there again, know what it looks
> like, hate it but will survive.
> How long can any of us hold on?
>
> My apoligies not for a life full of frustration, but for expressing

Service.