[Hpn] Re: [HKU] re: housing reality

Harmony Kieding HKU@yahoogroups.com
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 10:39:49 -0800 (PST)

Hi, and no apologies needed!

It's "how it is" and quite honestly, I got a lot from
reading it. You have a talent for writing, IMO.

And strange how the "being grateful" or
"whining/complaining" focus can change so much of our
outlook. I think your new neighbor needed a big
Reality Dose and it seems you gave that, and probably
more, to her.

What's more, by confronting her attitude, you've
(hopefully) saved yourself HOURS of hearing further
complaints from her (if she's learned her lesson).

Greed seems to be the bottomless black hole that
drives so many around us today. I still save a copy of
the email from a real estate developer, bragging about
how she took a fixer-upper that was in foreclosure
(which a first time family could maybe have afforded)
and fixed it up, getting an exorbitant profit from it
and taking it out of the reach of that first time
family. The details of the profits she's made, both on
selling housing and rentals, are sickening. (to me at
least).

I sure can identify with being $1100 behind on rent-
for the three years that my husband BT and I have been
in our apartment after being homeless, we've been from
three to four month's behind on rent. We sure don't
spend the money on partying, doping, drinking, fancy
groceries, movies, clothes- nope, we work hard but our
rent is too high. But it goes with the territory, and
is at the lower end of the scale as far as rentals go.
Only recently have we managed to catch up, but part of
me is still waiting for the other shoe to drop.

How long can any of us hold on? A good question. So
many times when I was homeless I felt we humans were
just clinging to the skin of a whirling earth-
vulnerable and apt to be flung out into space by the
slightest change.

I remember the time I was in Minneapolis, Minnesota in
my van during a tornado watch. Green-black sky,
howling wind and hail...and nowhere to go to get away
from it or take shelter. Hail pelting down on the roof
of the vw van...the wind pushing it...I kept thinking
"If I am sucked up into the sky, who will ever know
what happened to me?" At that point, I really didn't
feel like going into the "And who will care?", lol.

But I AM glad we have one another to talk with.

Hope? I dunno. Things are so relative. Reminds me of
the Vermont answer to the out of state tourist:

Tourist- "How are you?"
Vermonter- "Better than some, worse than others".

and

Tourist-"How many seasons do you have in Vermont?"
Vermonter- "Two. Winter, and three months of poor
sledding."

Harmony

--- "UTB crew <nhutbp2001@yahoo.com>"