[Hpn] [HKU] re: housing reality

UTB crew <nhutbp2001@yahoo.com> HKU@yahoogroups.com
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 16:58:36 +0000

Today I woke up to about 20 inches of snow. Spent three hours
shoveling just to get the van out and wondering why I still live in
NH
Anyhow, today's events.
We have a new familiy that just moved into our building. Since they
moved in we have heard nothing but complaints, statements like, "I'm
on TANF and Section 8 and I'm gonna get this building shut down." The
woman has complaints about her stove, a leak, the fact that the
landlord doesnt shove, neighbors are too noisy for her, she wanted
everyone to get togther and file a restraining order against a
particular man in the buildig because he is loud and on and on.
So I'm outside shoveling and in a bad mood having to haul snow from
one lace to another and I am thinking why did the universe place the
family into my building if I am supposed to be some kind of low
income advocate, organizer? What lesson am I suppose to learn? What I
am supposed to teach?
Now I am $1100 behind on my rent waiting for a sudent loan check so I
can catch up, the snow is too deep for the mail to run, my daughter
is too pregnant to be climbing over snow banks and I just keep
shoveling.

The new neighbor comes outside and walks up to me smoking a butt. No
good morning, no hello she starts in on her complaints. How come the
landlord does have a plow over here? I fell on the steps and I'm
going to call him and tell him to get his ass over here. This snow
isnt even as deep as Nebraska where I used to live but he should be
moving the snow, it will take me forever to get my car out, I have
diabetes and I am pregnant I cant be out here doing this shit.

And so it starts. " Are you from Nebraska? How long have you been in
NH? You shouldn't complain so much You are lucky to have housing? I
know thousands of people who dont! Then I fed her the statistics and
the problems with slum landlords and the landlord blacklist in NH and
how to make friends rather than isolate herself by making complaints
and how all of us are just trying to hold onto our housing no matter
how shitty it is or what we have to put up with because it is better
than sleeping in a car or under a bridge. I tild her that her being
on housing doesnt really give her any special privelge other than her
rent is reduced because even if she complains to housing so much and
they begin to sanction the landlord, or stop payment she can be
evicted for non-payment eventually when she cant afford it on her
own. I told her that because she has a car that the City welfare
department will put her family in a campground rather than a hotel
and imagine what she will have to put up with then.And that no one
was going to get together with her to do anything because we all
realize the reality of our situation.
I basically spewed none stop for a hour as I continued to shovel. I
told her what homelessness looks like and feels like. From
campgrounds to squats to the car, to doubling up to hanging on or
clinging to wahtever shelter one can find. So the faucet leaks, at
least she has water. I lacked compassion for her misery and I told
her that she is creating it herself because of her lack of graditude
for housing.
She didnt even have a chance to say a word. Then she quietly left.
About an hour later she came up to borrow my shovel and pleasantly
asked for it.

I cant help but wonder where Hope has gove to.
I cant help but wonder what I taught in that hour of lecture to her.
I was thinking I was trying to give her survival skills so that she
doesnt end up homeless, but somehow in that moment, I think I spewed
all of my frustrations about the world of the haves and have nots
I think now as I read my messages from Michael Stoops (NCH) and
others that we arent going to end homelessness because the status quo
of greed wont allow it. No matter ow much hosing gets built where
ever, we will never catch up nor will be be able to afford housing.
So in that survival skills are essential.
How to live outside or in autos or abandon buildings.
Where to get free food and other basic essentials. How to build
communites amongst ourselves, because we will need each other as
society continues through this great divide.
My been there, done that attitude will only carry me so far, in
reality it will be more like going there again, know what it looks
like, hate it but will survive.
How long can any of us hold on?

My apoligies not for a life full of frustration, but for expressing
it in such a disruptive manner.