[Hpn] Independent Inspection of Shelters

HOBOMATT@aol.com HOBOMATT@aol.com
Sat, 01 Feb 2003 11:12:12 -0500 (EST)

--Boundary_(ID_nRHZRbOAOc0lBFRwgGQlTQ)

<<<<Saturday, February 1, 2003
City nixes survey of shelters

By JASON TCHIR, TORONTO SUN

The city refuses to let a group of volunteers tour homeless shelters to see
whether they meet United Nations refugee camp standards, The Toronto Sun has
been told.>>>>

This seems to be a universal touchy subject.  A group of student nurses "went
homeless" for 36 hours as part of a community health class in our town.  They
wrote up a report for the class, including a review of the rather abusive
conditions at our main shelter here in Colorado Springs.  I shared their
review of the shelter stay on a locally-based "homeless discussion list" I
run out of my website: "Avenues of Escape" , calling it a "mystery shopper"
report.  Generated more discussion than we've had in a LONG time.  "Mystery
Shoppers" who can visit facilities and publically report on the conditions
and quality of service can be a real check on service providers wanting to
keep things secret.  These providers serve the community (while receiving
funding from that community) and the community deserves to know how they are
doing.  Perhaps some newspaper or other public media could send a few
'mystery shoppers" to "inspect" the Toronto shelters and report to the
public.

Matt Parkhouse,RN;
Colorado Springs, CO
Avenues of Escape website
www.homelesscs.org

--Boundary_(ID_nRHZRbOAOc0lBFRwgGQlTQ)

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;Saturday, February 1, 2003<BR>
City nixes survey of shelters<BR>
<BR>
By JASON TCHIR, TORONTO SUN<BR>
<BR>
The city refuses to let a group of volunteers tour homeless shelters to see<BR>
whether they meet United Nations refugee camp standards, The Toronto Sun has<BR>
been told.&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>
<BR>
This seems to be a universal touchy subject.&nbsp; A group of student nurses "went homeless" for 36 hours as part of a community health class in our town.&nbsp; They wrote up a report for the class, including a review of the rather abusive conditions at our main shelter here in Colorado Springs.&nbsp; I shared their review of the shelter stay on a locally-based "homeless discussion list" I run out of my website: "Avenues of Escape" , calling it a "mystery shopper" report.&nbsp; Generated more discussion than we've had in a LONG time.&nbsp; "Mystery Shoppers" who can visit facilities and publically report on the conditions and quality of service can be a real check on service providers wanting to keep things secret.&nbsp; These providers serve the community (while receiving funding from that community) and the community deserves to know how they are doing.&nbsp; Perhaps some newspaper or other public media could send a few 'mystery shoppers" to "inspect" the Toronto shelters an!
d report to the public.<BR>
<BR>
Matt Parkhouse,RN;<BR>
Colorado Springs, CO<BR>
Avenues of Escape website<BR>
www.homelesscs.org</FONT></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_nRHZRbOAOc0lBFRwgGQlTQ)--