[Hpn] Rep. Barbara Lee About My wife

Bill Mandel wmmmandel@earthlink.net
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 20:50:41 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_00CA_01C3C5A9.DCAD84D0

who died two years ago today. The Congresswoman's letter to her memorial
is so lovely and personal that I keep it framed on my wall. Here it is:
     To the Family and Friends of Tanya Mandel:
     I join with you this evening in celebration of the life and rich
legacy of Tanya Mandel.
     Tanya spent her lifetime working for peace and equality. She was a
champion of working men and women, and she worked tirelessly for civil
rights causes and for a world without war.
     The beautiful thing about Tanya was the way she lived her
convictions and blended her activism and everyday life. She was first
and foremost a wife and a mother, and much of her activism centered on
women's and children's issues. Tanya was an original feminist who
promoted gender equality on a local and global level.
     Bill and Tanya were a true love story - a relationship built on
respect for each other and for all of humanity. They spent sixty-six
years of caring for each other and working towards a shared vision of a
better world.
     As a nation, we owe a debt of gratitude to those rare and special
individuals, such as Tanya, who have dedicates their lives to their
communities. Tanya's legacy of service and commitment will live in the
hearts of those she has left behind, and it shall remain in the memories
of the many people she touched.
     Tanya was a community treasure and she will be deeply missed.

Warmest Regards,

Barbara Lee

Member of Congress

Maudelle Shirek, then 90-year-old vice-mayor of Berkeley (today still in
office), also African-American, addressed the memorial as well, as did
State Assemblymember Aron, Jewish like Tanya. They appear in a video of
it edited without charge by the head of the only university department
of TV in Denmark, Nancy Graham Holm, an award-winning American producer
before she married her Danish husband. She comes from the only
non-Jewish family on her block in Boyle Heights, Los Angeles.
      I sent an obituary to the Berkeley Daily Planet, assuming they
would use it as raw material for whatever they chose to print. Instead,
they ran it as the top of page three as an article over my signature. It
spells out a life that is worthy of emulation:
                                                      A TRIBUTE TO TANYA
MANDEL
      Tanya Mandel, editor, KPFA broadcaster and activist, died Tuesday.
She was 84.
      Of herself, she wrote: "I was born in 1917 in New York City....My
first political memory was the execution of Sacco and Vanzetti" in 1927,
"which shocked and angered my family and their friends. My second
recollection was collecting money on the street to support coal miners
on strike."
      This actually took place in her early teens.
       In 1935, with Hitler in power for two years, the German liner,
S.S. Bremen, entered New York flying the Nazi flag. She and the man she
would marry that year and who would be her husband for the remaining 66
years of her life, Bill Mandel, were in a massive police-assaulted
demonstration at the dock as Irish-American seaman Bill Bailey, later a
much-written-about figure in San Francisco, managed to pull down the
flag.
      Mrs. Mandel and her husband-to-be had met picketing in support of
chiefly African-American and female laundry workers seeking union
recognition.
       During a period in Akron, Ohio, Mrs. Mandel, then 20, organized
the movement that won the construction of that city's first public
housing project, at a time when such buildings were a major step forward
in replacing slum tenements as dwellings for the working poor.
       Mrs. Mandel returned to New York during World War II, and now a
mother, she was instrumental in obtaining a government-funded
institution of a type until then essentially unknown in this country: a
child-care center.
       Later, active in the Parent-Teachers Association, she and her
husband furthered their children's familiarization with other
ethnicities by sending themm to the overwhelmingly black schools in
their neighborhood when other white parents would not.
       During the McCarthy era Mrs. Mandel took part in a spontaneous
march through the Lower East Side when Ethel and Julius Rosenberg were
executed, a parade without a permit led by three generations of the
Mandel family including their then 13-year-old daughter.
       The family moved to Berkeley in 1957, where Mrs. Mandel lived for
the next 40 years. In the '50s, she participated in the activities that
won racial integration of the Berkeley schools. She was a member of the
Boatrockers Democratic Club and, in the early 1960s, joined Women for
Peace, organized to stop atmospheric testing of nuclear weapons when
radioactive Strontium 90 began to be found in mothers' milk. Just a week
before her death, when that outcome was not expected, members wrote her
a get-well card with individual comments such as these:
        "We miss you and your wisdom."
        Another: "I miss you and your important suggestions at our
meetings."
        A third: "We miss your forceful, uncompromising comments."
        Mrs. Mandel was an opponent of the Vietnam War from the outset.
She was in daily attendance during the 11-week trial of one of her sons,
a member of the so-called Oakland Seven who had organized disruptive
demonstrations in an attempt to prevent the Oakland Army Induction
Center from functioning. They were acquitted. Another son, a total
pacifist, went to Canada to, in her words, "avoid fighting the
Vietnamese people."
        That same period saw the birth of second-wave feminism, and Mrs.
Mandel, daughter Phyllis, and husband Bill were invited to join one of
the very earliest women's liberation groups.
        In 1966, Mrs. Mandel visited the Soviet Union and did so several
times thereafter with a particular eye to the status of women. She was
impressed by the advanced level of education for women and the social
services provided for mothers and children, but struck by what she
called the "male domination of every facet of life."
        Mandel reported on her observations during a five-year stint
during which she shared her husband's 37-year-long program on KPFA. Bill
Mandel, whose radio program focused on the former Soviet Union, is the
author of a number of books on the subject.
        In 1984, now in her late 60s, Mrs. Mandel participated in yet
another demonstration with her entire family, this time at dawn on the
San Francisco docks. It was part of a successful effort to prevent the
unloading of a shipload of South African goods as part of the struggle
to end apartheid.
       Jewish, and educated at home to speak Yiddish before learning
English, Mandel supported the founding of Israel, "hoping at first for a
joint Jewish-Arab state," she wrote. "In 1967 and 1974 I was very
disturbed at the attitude of the majority of U.S. Jews toward
Palestinians and the idea of a Palestinian state....I become involved in
campaigns on behalf of the Palestinians and a Palestinian state."
       Just before entering the operating room for the unavoidable
procedure that would terminate tragically, the risks of which she knew,
Mandel smiled broadly when told that the death sentence of Mumia
Abu-Jamal had been set aside. (Mrs. Mandel made the choice to have the
risky hip replacement surgery, rather than live in a zombie-like state,
as a result of the medications she would have had to use to stave off
severe pain.)
        Her strength of character and devotion to principle to the
contrary notwithstanding, the term universally applied to describe
Mandel by mere acquaintances as well as by those who knew her was
"sweet."
        Tanya Mandel was a charter subscriber to the Berkeley Repertory
Theater, earlier to A.C.T., an avid concert-goer and frequent visitor to
museums. He last dinner-table conversation in the senior facility where
she and her husband resided was on Girardeau's play, "The Madwoman of
Chaillot."
        In addition to her husband, Mrs. Mandel leaves behind her three
children, Phyllis, Bob and David, two grandchildren and one great
grandchild.
        A memorial service will be held at...

My autobiography, SAYING NO TO POWER (Introduction by Howard Zinn), is
a history of how the American people fought to defend and expand its
rights since the 1920s (I'm 85) employing the form of the life of a 30s
AND 60s activist, one who was involved in most serious movements:
student, labor, 45 years of efforts to prevent war with the USSR, civil
rights South and North, women's liberation [my late wife appears on 50
pages], 37 years on Pacifica Radio [where I invented talk radio], civil
liberties. You may hear/see my testimony before the three different
McCarthy-Cold-War-Era witch-hunting committees [used in six films and a
play]) on my website, http://www.billmandel.net
<http://www.billmandel.net/>   I am the author of five books in my
academic field, and have taught at UC Berkeley and elsewhere.
 The book is available through all normal sources. For an autographed
copy, send me $24 at 4466 View Pl.,#106, Oakland, CA. 94611

------=_NextPart_000_00CA_01C3C5A9.DCAD84D0

xmlns:st1=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" =

<head>
charset=3Dus-ascii">

<link rel=3DFile-List href=3D"cid:filelist.xml@01C3C5A8.5E1E5690">
<o:SmartTagType =
namespaceuri=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
 name=3D"State"/>
<o:SmartTagType =
namespaceuri=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
 name=3D"country-region"/>
<o:SmartTagType =
namespaceuri=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
 name=3D"place"/>
<o:SmartTagType =
namespaceuri=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
 name=3D"PlaceType"/>
<o:SmartTagType =
namespaceuri=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
 name=3D"PlaceName"/>
<o:SmartTagType =
namespaceuri=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
 name=3D"address"/>
<o:SmartTagType =
namespaceuri=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
 name=3D"City"/>
<o:SmartTagType =
namespaceuri=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
 name=3D"Street"/>
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
 <o:OfficeDocumentSettings>
  <o:DoNotRelyOnCSS/>
 </o:OfficeDocumentSettings>
 <w:WordDocument>
  <w:SpellingState>Clean</w:SpellingState>
  <w:GrammarState>Clean</w:GrammarState>
  <w:DocumentKind>DocumentEmail</w:DocumentKind>
  <w:EnvelopeVis/>
  <w:Compatibility>
   <w:BreakWrappedTables/>
   <w:SnapToGridInCell/>
   <w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
   <w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
  </w:Compatibility>
  <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
 </w:WordDocument>
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]>
st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }
<![endif]-->
<!--
 /* Style Definitions */
	{mso-style-parent:"";
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";
	mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;
	text-underline:single;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;
	text-underline:single;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	mso-style-noshow:yes;
	mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt;
	mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:Arial;
	mso-ascii-font-family:Arial;
	mso-hansi-font-family:Arial;
	mso-bidi-font-family:Arial;
	color:windowtext;}
span.SpellE
	{mso-style-name:"";
	mso-spl-e:yes;}
span.GramE
	{mso-style-name:"";
	mso-gram-e:yes;}
@page Section1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;
	mso-header-margin:.5in;
	mso-footer-margin:.5in;
	mso-paper-source:0;}
div.Section1
	{page:Section1;}
-->
<!--[if gte mso 10]>
 /* Style Definitions */=20
 table.MsoNormalTable
	{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
	mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
	mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
	mso-style-noshow:yes;
	mso-style-parent:"";
	mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
	mso-para-margin:0in;
	mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";}
<![endif]-->
</head>

style=3D'tab-interval:.5in'>

face=3DArial><span
size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'> died two
years ago today. The Congresswoman&#8217;s letter to her memorial is so =
lovely
and personal that I keep it framed on my wall. Here it =

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </span>To the Family and =
Friends of

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><span =
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
legacy

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><span =
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
champion of working men and women, and she worked tirelessly for civil =
rights

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><span =
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
convictions
and blended her activism and everyday life. She was first and foremost a =
wife
and a mother, and much of her activism centered on women&#8217;s and =
children&#8217;s
issues. Tanya was an original feminist who promoted gender equality on a =
local

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><span =
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
built on
respect for each other and for all of humanity. They spent sixty-six =
years of
caring for each other and working towards a shared vision of a better =

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><span =
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
individuals, such as Tanya, who have dedicates their lives to their
communities. Tanya&#8217;s legacy of service and commitment will live in =
the
hearts of those she has left behind, and it shall remain in the memories =
of the

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><span =
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&=
nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&n=
bsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;&nbsp;</span>Warmest

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><span =
style=3D'mso-tab-count:7'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&=
nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&n=
bsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;&nbsp;&nbsp; </span><span
style=3D'mso-tab-count:2'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </span>Barbara

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><span =
style=3D'mso-tab-count:9'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&=
nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&n=
bsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&=
nbsp;&nbsp; </span>Member

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;

face=3DArial><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Maudelle</span></font></span=
size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'> <span
class=3DSpellE>Shirek</span>, then 90-year-old vice-mayor of =
  size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Berkeley</span></font></st1:=
place></st1:City><font
size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'> (today
still in office), also African-American, addressed the memorial as well, =
as did
State <span class=3DSpellE>Assemblymember</span> <span =
class=3DSpellE>Aron</span>,
Jewish like Tanya. They appear in a video of it edited without charge by =
the
head of the only university department of TV in =
  size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Denmark</span></font></st1:p=
lace></st1:country-region><font
size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>, Nancy
Graham Holm, an award-winning American producer before she married her =
Danish
husband. She comes from the only non-Jewish family on her block in =
  size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Boyle</span></font></st1:Pla=
ceName><font
 size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'> =
  size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Heights</span></font></st1:P=
laceType></st1:place><font
size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>, =
  size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Los
  Angeles</span></font></st1:place></st1:City><font size=3D2 =
face=3DArial><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>.<o:p></o:p></span></font></=
p>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </span>I sent =
an
obituary to the Berkeley Daily Planet, assuming they would use it as raw
material for whatever they chose to print. Instead, they ran it as the =
top of
page three as an article over my signature. It spells out a life that is =
worthy

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><span =
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
style=3D'mso-tab-count:4'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&=
nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</span>A =
TRIBUTE

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </span>Tanya =
Mandel,
editor, KPFA broadcaster and activist, died Tuesday. She was =

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </span>Of =
herself, she
wrote: &#8220;I was born in 1917 in =
  size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>New York
  City</span></font></st1:place></st1:City><font size=3D2 =
face=3DArial><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>....My first political =
memory was
the execution of <span class=3DSpellE>Sacco</span> and <span =
class=3DSpellE>Vanzetti</span>&#8221;
in 1927, &#8220;which shocked and angered my family and their friends. =
My
second recollection was collecting money on the street to support coal =
miners

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </span>This =
actually

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
with Hitler in power for two years, the German liner, S.S. Bremen, =
entered </span></font><st1:State><st1:place><font
  size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>New =
York</span></font></st1:place></st1:State><font
size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'> flying the
Nazi flag. She and the man she would marry that year and who would be =
her
husband for the remaining 66 years of her life, Bill Mandel, were in a =
massive
police-assaulted demonstration at the dock as Irish-American seaman Bill =
Bailey,
later a much-written-about figure in San Francisco, managed to pull down =
the

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </span>Mrs. =
Mandel and
her husband-to-be had met picketing in support of chiefly =
African-American and
female laundry workers seeking union =

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
in </span></font><st1:place><st1:City><font size=3D2 face=3DArial><span
  =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Akron</span></font></st1:Cit=
y><font
 size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>, =
  size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Ohio</span></font></st1:Stat=
e></st1:place><font
size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>, Mrs. Mandel,
then 20, organized the movement that won the construction of that =
city&#8217;s first
public housing project, at a time when such buildings were a major step =
forward
in replacing slum tenements as dwellings for the working =

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span>Mrs. Mandel returned to =
  size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>New =
York</span></font></st1:place></st1:State><font
size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'> during World
War II, and now a mother, she was instrumental in obtaining a =
government-funded
institution of a type until then essentially unknown in this country: a =
child-care

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span>Later, active in the =
Parent-Teachers Association,
she and her husband furthered their children&#8217;s familiarization =
with other
ethnicities by sending <span class=3DSpellE>themm</span> to the =
overwhelmingly black
schools in their neighborhood when other white parents would =

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span>During the McCarthy era Mrs. =
Mandel took part
in a spontaneous march through the </span></font><st1:place><font =
size=3D2
 face=3DArial><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Lower =
East Side</span></font></st1:place><font
size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'> when Ethel and
Julius Rosenberg were executed, a parade without a permit led by three =
generations
of the Mandel family including their then 13-year-old =

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span>The family moved to =
  size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Berkeley</span></font></st1:=
place></st1:City><font
size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'> in 1957, where
Mrs. Mandel lived for the next 40 years. In the &#8216;50s, she =
participated in
the activities that won racial integration of the =
  size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Berkeley</span></font></st1:=
place></st1:City><font
size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'> schools. She
was a member of the <span class=3DSpellE>Boatrockers</span> Democratic =
Club and, in
the early 1960s, joined Women for Peace, organized to stop atmospheric =
testing of
nuclear weapons when radioactive Strontium 90 began to be found in =
mothers&#8217;
milk. Just a week before her death, when that outcome was not expected, =
members
wrote her a get-well card with individual comments such as =

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span>&#8220;We miss you and your =

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span>Another: &#8220;I miss you and =
your important

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span>A third: &#8220;We miss your =
forceful, uncompromising

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span>Mrs. Mandel was an opponent of =
the Vietnam
War from the outset. She was in daily attendance during the 11-week =
trial of one
of her sons, a member of the so-called Oakland Seven who had organized =
disruptive
demonstrations in an attempt to prevent the =
  size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Oakland</span></font></st1:P=
laceName><font
 size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'> =
  size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Army</span></font></st1:Plac=
eName><font
 size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'> =
  size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Induction</span></font></st1=
:PlaceName><font
 size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'> =
  size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Center</span></font></st1:Pl=
aceType></st1:place><font
size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'> from functioning.
They were acquitted. Another son, a total pacifist, went to =
  size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Canada</span></font></st1:pl=
ace></st1:country-region><font
size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'> to, in her words,
&#8220;avoid fighting the Vietnamese =

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span>That same period saw the birth =
of second-wave
feminism, and Mrs. Mandel, daughter Phyllis, and husband Bill were =
invited to join
one of the very earliest women&#8217;s liberation =

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span>In 1966, Mrs. Mandel visited the =
 size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Soviet =
Union</span></font></st1:place><font
size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'> and did so several
times thereafter with a particular eye to the status of women. She was =
impressed
by the advanced level of education for women and the social services =
provided for
mothers and children, but struck by what she called the &#8220;male =
domination of

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span>Mandel reported on her =
observations during
a five-year stint during which she shared her husband&#8217;s =
37-year-long program
on KPFA. Bill Mandel, whose radio program focused on the former =
 size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Soviet =
Union</span></font></st1:place><font
size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>, is the author

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span>In 1984, now in her late 60s, =
Mrs. Mandel
participated in yet another demonstration with her entire family, this =
time at dawn
on the </span></font><st1:City><st1:place><font size=3D2 =
face=3DArial><span
  style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>San =
Francisco</span></font></st1:place></st1:City><font
size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'> docks. It was
part of a successful effort to prevent the unloading of a shipload of =
South African
goods as part of the struggle to end =

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span>Jewish, and educated at home to =
speak Yiddish
before learning English, Mandel supported the founding of =
  size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Israel</span></font></st1:pl=
ace></st1:country-region><font
size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>, &#8220;hoping
at first for a joint Jewish-Arab state,&#8221; she wrote. &#8220;In 1967 =
and 1974
I was very disturbed at the attitude of the majority of U.S. Jews toward =
Palestinians
and the idea of a Palestinian state....I become involved in campaigns on =
behalf
of the Palestinians and a Palestinian =

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span>Just before entering the =
[...]

style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span>Her strength of character and =
devotion to
principle to the contrary notwithstanding, the term universally applied =
to describe
Mandel by mere acquaintances as well as by those who knew her was =

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span>Tanya Mandel was a charter =
subscriber to the
Berkeley Repertory Theater, earlier to A.C.T., an avid concert-<span
class=3DSpellE>goer</span> and frequent visitor to museums. <span =
class=3DGramE>He</span>
last dinner-table conversation in the senior facility where she and her =
husband
resided was on Girardeau&#8217;s play, &#8220;The Madwoman of <span

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span>In addition to her husband, Mrs. =
Mandel leaves
behind her three children, Phyllis, Bob and David, two grandchildren and =
one great

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span>A memorial service will be held =

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;

style=3D'mso-layout-grid-align:none;text-autospace:none'><font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Courier New";
mso-no-proof:yes'>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=

style=3D'mso-layout-grid-align:none;text-autospace:none'><font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Courier New";
mso-no-proof:yes'><span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp; =

style=3D'mso-layout-grid-align:none;text-autospace:none'><font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Courier New";
mso-no-proof:yes'>My autobiography, <b =
style=3D'mso-bidi-font-weight:normal'><span
style=3D'font-weight:bold;mso-bidi-font-weight:normal'>SAYING NO TO =
POWER </span></b>(Introduction

style=3D'mso-layout-grid-align:none;text-autospace:none'><font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Courier New";
mso-no-proof:yes'>a history of how the American people fought to defend =
and
expand its rights since the 1920s (I'm 85) employing the form of the =
life of a
30s AND 60s activist, one who was involved in most serious movements: =
student,
labor, 45 years of efforts to prevent war with the USSR, civil rights =
South and
North, women's liberation [my late wife appears on 50 pages], 37 years =
on
Pacifica Radio [where I invented talk radio], civil liberties. You may =
hear/see
my testimony before the three different McCarthy-Cold-War-Era =
witch-hunting

style=3D'mso-layout-grid-align:none;text-autospace:none'><font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Courier New";
mso-no-proof:yes'>play]) on my website, <a =
href=3D"http://www.billmandel.net/">http://www.billmandel.net</a><span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp; </span>I am the author of five books =
in my
academic field, and have taught at UC Berkeley and elsewhere.<span

style=3D'mso-layout-grid-align:none;text-autospace:none'><font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Courier New";
mso-no-proof:yes'><span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span>The book =
is
available through all normal sources. <b =
style=3D'mso-bidi-font-weight:normal'><span
style=3D'font-weight:bold;mso-bidi-font-weight:normal'>For an =
autographed copy,
  style=3D'mso-bidi-font-weight:normal'><font size=3D2 face=3D"Courier =
New"><span
  style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Courier New";font-weight:bold;
  mso-bidi-font-weight:normal;mso-no-proof:yes'>4466 View =
[...]

style=3D'font-size:

------=_NextPart_000_00CA_01C3C5A9.DCAD84D0--