[Hpn] Re: ALERT!! "10 NO uji" park is burning!

Harmony Kieding worldhome@thesociety.net
Sat, 13 Dec 2003 11:20:22 -0800

Dear Friends in Osaka,

Two minutes ago I sent an email to the Chicago Office for Osaka. I enclose a
copy of what I wrote them below- Never give up!

With love and respect,

Harmony Kieding

An Open Letter to the Mayor of Osaka

Regarding the forced eviction of homeless, and forced removal of 10

karaoke huts occupied by the homeless

Dear Sir,

It has come to my attention that the Osaka City Authorities intend to

forcibly remove 10 karaoke huts and furthermore, to forcibly evict

their occupants, on December 15, 2003.

I would like to refer you to what the Office of the High Commissioner

for Human Rights has to say on forced evictions:

Fact Sheet No.25, Forced Evictions and Human Rights
http://www.unhchr.ch/html/menu6/2/fs25.htm

from which I quote the following paragraphs:

"[The] practice of forced eviction constitutes a gross violation of

human rights, in particular the right to adequate housing.
International human rights law establishes norms and principles

touching on virtually all facets of life. This is reflected in the

consistent reaffirmation by the international community of the

indivisibility and interdependence of all human rights, whether

civil, cultural, economic, political or social."

"The indispensable equality of all human rights, now firmly

entrenched in the provisions of international human rights

instruments, is particularly evident when examining human rights

violations relating not just to one right, but to a broad range of

human rights. One such infringement of human rights is the practice

of forced evictions: the removal of individuals, families or

communities from their homes, land or neighbourhoods, against their

will, directly or indirectly attributable to the State."

"Forced evictions might not initially be viewed necessarily as an

issue of human rights, but rather as a simple side-effect of

development, of urban renewal, a consequence of armed conflict, or an

aspect of environmental protection or energy generation by, for

example, hydroelectric dams. However, to be persistently threatened

or actually victimized by the act of forced eviction from one's home

or land is surely one of the most supreme injustices any individual,

family, household or community can face."

"The perpetual insecurity of people intimidated by this practice,

coupled with the frequent use of physical violence during its

carrying out, begin to reveal the personal and collective trauma

invariably inflicted on those faced with the prospect of forced

eviction. No one volunteers to be an evicte."

"Tolerated in most societies and officially encouraged in many,

forced evictions dismantle what people have built over months, years

and sometimes decades, destroying the livelihood, culture, community,

families and homes of millions of people throughout the world every

year."

"Far from offering solutions to housing or urban crises, forced

evictions destroy the dwellings and human settlements people call

home and could perhaps be more appropriately labelled as a method of

"de-housing", rather than as a practice representing a constructive,

human-oriented response to the ongoing global housing crisis."

"In this regard, the Committee has indicated that a number of

articles in the Covenant are capable of immediate implementation,

including article 3, article 7, subparagraph (a) (i), article 8,

article 10, paragraph 3, article 13, paragraphs 2 (a), 3 and 4, and

article 15, paragraph 3. It has also stressed, with respect to the

right to adequate housing, for example, that "instances of forced

eviction are prima facie incompatible with the requirements of the

Covenant and can only be justified in the most exceptional

circumstances, and in accordance with the relevant principles of

international law".(15) In order to put such obligations into effect

domestically, national courts would obviously have an important role

to play in ensuring respect for the rights in question."

In closing, rather than a brutal confrontation with force which only

can result in a loss of face for all, particularly for those who

employ that brute force, is it not far more desirable to work with

the homeless inhabitants of Osaka, respecting their rights, their

dignity, and their property? They are human beings, first and

foremost, with talents and a wealth of inner resources. Listen to

them, really listen to them, and you will be favorably surprised. Let

this situation be an opportunity for everyone in Osaka to win.

Respectfully,

Harmony Kieding
Founder, WorldHome