[Hpn] NY TIMES: Mugging the Needy

Harmony Kieding worldhome@thesociety.net
Fri, 4 Apr 2003 05:11:59 -0800

Hi Chance-

Outrageous budget cuts. Another crazy aspect of the current "Madministration",
which begs for money to go kill folks overseas.

Yesterday I had just read Bob Herbert's article myself. I then went to register
at the Forum so that I could express my opinions, and met a "surprise"- only
folks with enough money for paid email services can register and express their
views on an article concerning budget cuts for the poor and homeless.

Just now I sent off an email to the digital divide mailing list- it follows
below:

From:  "Harmony Kieding" <worldhome@thesociety.net>
To:  DIGITALDIVIDE@OWA.BENTON.ORG
Date:  Fri, 4 Apr 2003 04:52:58 -0800
Subject:  Free Email and the Digital Divide

More and more lately I seem to be running across places on the Internet that

will not accept subscriptions or registrations from people using free email

services.

For example, yesterday I read an article entitled "Mugging the Needy" by Bob

Herbert on the New York Times Website.
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/03/opinion/03HERB.html?th

His writing concerned deep budget cuts affecting entitlement programs. I noticed,

after reading it, that there was a Forum for airing one's views. However, when

I went to register at the Forum (which I had to do before writing my opinion)

there was a notice that no free email addresses would be accepted for registering

with.

Let me get this straight- only people with enough money to pay for email get

to have their voices heard on matters affecting the poor? Something seems skewed

with this picture.

While I understand there may be a concern with spam and/or phony registrations,

there is another aspect here which concerns me and that is this: POOR PEOPLE

USE FREE EMAIL SERVICES.
Homeless people use free email services. People with no computers of their own

use free email services. Lots of folks use, and need, free email for entirely

legitimate purposes.

The act of excluding free email users cuts off voices that need to be heard,

in my opinion. This highlights, once again, the financial divide which is one

very real aspect of the digital divide.

Harmony Kieding
Ovre Lang gate 51
Tonsberg, 3110