[Hpn] licenses

Rod Graham quixote@mts.net
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 01:04:30 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0034_01C2F97C.FB31C8C0

We have been told by the city of Winnipeg to license all our paper =
vendors with a hawkers license..  It costs $95.00 ea.  I know most =
street papers in  cities in America and here in Canada as well get =
around that somehow.  I am now looking into it.  Both from the freedom =
of expression angle/free speech angle -  and because these people are =
merely trying to subsidize the meager fixed income the same government =
that gives them it wants to force them to pay a license they can't =
bloody well afford and that's why they need to sell the damned =
papers...Get this!  Our city (Winnipeg) also is planning to force =
panhandlers to be licensed!  We have just successfully fought a =
draconian anti-panhandling by-law and won , having it repealed and =
replaced with a supposedly more "humane" one.  If anyone out there has =
any idea at all how we can argue against having to license our vendors =
let us know please.  I am awaiting response from a couple of law groups =
who advocate for causes but maybe some people who have a paper and had =
the same problem in the past could give me some info I could jot down in =
the meantime.  Thanks.
------=_NextPart_000_0034_01C2F97C.FB31C8C0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>We have been told by the city of =
Winnipeg to=20
license all our paper vendors with a hawkers license..&nbsp; It costs =
$95.00=20
ea.&nbsp; I know most street papers in &nbsp;cities in America and here =
in=20
Canada&nbsp;as well get around that somehow.&nbsp; I am now looking into =

it.&nbsp; Both from the freedom of expression angle/free speech angle -=20
&nbsp;and because these people are merely trying to subsidize the meager =
fixed=20
income the same government that gives them it wants to force them to pay =
a=20
license they can't bloody well afford and that's why they need to sell =
the=20
damned papers...Get this!&nbsp; Our city (Winnipeg) also is planning to =
force=20
panhandlers to be licensed!&nbsp; We have just successfully fought a =
draconian=20
anti-panhandling by-law and won , having it repealed and replaced with a =

supposedly more "humane" one.&nbsp; If anyone out there has any idea at =
all how=20
we can argue against having to license our vendors let us know =
please.&nbsp; I=20
am awaiting response from a couple of law groups who advocate for causes =
but=20
maybe some people who have a paper and had the same problem in the past =
could=20
give me some info I could jot down in the meantime.&nbsp;=20
Thanks.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0034_01C2F97C.FB31C8C0--