[Hpn] to license or not to license

Rod Graham quixote@mts.net
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 02:34:44 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_004D_01C2F7F7.411B82E0

Hello all:

I am writing to ask you all who have street papers if your vendors are =
required to be licensed or not.  The reason is this:  recently the city =
has approached our vendors telling them that they will be fined if they =
do not obtain a "hawkers license".  In the past we did not require =
anything like it and it is exorbitant for our vendors who are all on =
meager fixed incomes ($95.00) pr year.  That is not the total story, =
however, most of the businesses in my neighborhood have been harassing =
my paper vendors for years and intimidating them and we have not been =
able to do anything.  I believe this request for them to be licensed is =
just  another intimidation tactic.  The "license Inspector " even =
followed one vendor home to make sure she didn't sell any more papers!=20

Our paper, named Street Sheet Canada, in honor of  a great American =
publication in SF, Ca. says "donation" on the front cover.  Also:  I =
would appreciate it if anyone involved  with a street paper could share =
a little bit about harassment of their paper vendors - We have had a =
hell of a lot of harassment from merchants.   Thank you very much for =
your help in this important matter.=20

Rod Graham.
------=_NextPart_000_004D_01C2F7F7.411B82E0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello all:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>I&nbsp;am writing to ask&nbsp;you all who have street =
papers&nbsp;if your=20
vendors are required to be licensed or not.&nbsp; The reason is =
this:&nbsp;=20
recently the city has approached our vendors telling them that they will =
be=20
fined if they do&nbsp;not obtain a "hawkers license".&nbsp; In the past =
we did=20
not require anything like it and it is exorbitant for our vendors who =
are all on=20
meager fixed incomes ($95.00) pr year.&nbsp; That is not the total =
story,=20
however,&nbsp;most of the businesses in my neighborhood have been =
harassing my=20
paper vendors for years and intimidating them and we have not been able =
to do=20
anything.&nbsp; I believe this request for them to be licensed is =
just&nbsp;=20
another intimidation tactic.&nbsp; The "license Inspector " even =
followed one=20
vendor home to make sure she didn't sell any more papers!&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Our paper, named Street Sheet Canada, in honor of&nbsp; a great =
A<FONT=20
face=3DArial size=3D2>merican publication in SF, Ca. says "donation" on =
the front=20
cover.&nbsp; Also:&nbsp; I would appreciate it if anyone involved =
&nbsp;with a=20
street&nbsp;paper could share a little bit about harassment of their =
paper=20
vendors - We have had a hell of a lot of harassment from =
merchants.&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
Thank you very much for your help in this important =
matter.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Rod Graham. </FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_004D_01C2F7F7.411B82E0--