[Hpn] Gracious Extra Miles & Beyond

Morgan W. Brown norsehorse@hotmail.com
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 04:56:14 -0400

Below is a freshly written column which I wanted to share with you.

Morgan <norsehorse@hotmail.com>
Morgan W. Brown
Montpelier Vermont

-------Forwarded column-------

Gracious Extra Miles & Beyond

By Morgan W. Brown
<norsehorse@hotmail.com>

Twenty-nine years ago, at the age of seventeen, I found myself literally on
the street for the first time.

Being homeless, with nothing to lose, no place to sleep or rest and with no
clue about where to seek assistance, my thumb was held out to get farther up
the road.

After hitchhiking much of the United States eastern coast down and back on
my own without money or food and only the clothes that I wore upon my thin
bony frame, I was beyond being exhausted and hungry.

Nearing the end of the return leg, I had serious doubts about ever being
able to reach my chosen destination. Hope eventually faded. Negative and
scary thoughts concerning my fate took over, pounding my already achy head.

The next thing I knew, a commercial short-haul truck pulled over to give me
a ride. Opening the door, I cautiously sized up the situation as best I
could.

Easily sensing how guarded I was, with firm assurance and compassion in his
voice that did not fail recognition, the driver offered a ride as far as he
was going to his next stop a little ways down the Interstate highway.

As we traveled down the busy roadway, he casually engaged me in conversation
along with also asking questions about my journey and circumstances.

Once he had my trust enough for it, assistance was offered.

Without being asked, he graciously went extra miles and beyond; making sure
that I ate a good hearty breakfast – my first in days – as well as, among
other things, ensuring that I made a call to those family members I was
heading up to stay with.

Just as if I was a member of his own family, he made sure that I had
somewhere to go and would safely get there.

We parted company shortly after, with my promising to take good care of
myself. It is to this person’s credit that I was actually able to.

There are never enough ways to thank such people for doing something like
that, except to make sure that we graciously go extra miles and beyond for
those in need who cross our path as well.

Morgan W. Brown <norsehorse@hotmail.com> is a writer, poet & activist who
lives homeless in Montpelier Vermont USA

This column is dedicated to the person mentioned anonymously above as well
as all others who graciously go the extra mile and beyond on behalf of those
in need who have crossed their path.

-------End of forwarded column-------

Morgan <norsehorse@hotmail.com>
Morgan W. Brown