[Hpn] Evelyn Schoenfeld memorial set for Sunday, Sept. 8th 6PM

Becky Johnson Becky_Johnson@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 14:31:15 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0052_01C254E8.E3D18460

Evelyn Schoenfeld died August 24th, 2002

She was 87 years old.

A longtime activist, Evelyn wrote her last two political letters on =
Sunday,=20
August 18th,2002. The first letter was to Sen. Bruce McPherson urging =
him to vote=20
against AB 1421, which will allow the forced medication of persons =
suffering from mental=20
health problems. The last letter she wrote, was to Mayor Christopher =
Krohn, commending him for voting against the draconian downtown =
ordinances. In part, she wrote "It goes against the
character of Santa Cruz to ban bubble-blowers, street musicians, =
political tables,=20

jugglers, Frisbees, hacky-sackers, clowns, magicians, and homeless =
people holding signs."

She was an Army veteran achieving the rank of Corporal in the WAC and =
was awarded an honorable discharge.

Evelyn died at her home in the Live Oak area of Santa Cruz surrounded by =
friends and cared for by hospice. A former school teacher in Oakland, =
Ca., and a one-time actress, Evelyn was active in many causes. She was =
persecuted for her communist views during the McCarthy Era and she =
helped organize demonstrations and support groups for the Rosenbergs. =
Much later, she was also a member of the Santa Cruz Coalition to Free =
Mumia Abu Jamal and All Political Prisoners (425-4467).=20

Her causes included, the Black Panthers, Leonard Peltier, Medical Aid =
for El Salvador, the ACLU, the Nicaraguan Interfaith Committee for =
Action, the Christic Institute, opposition to the death penalty, MOVE, =
prison labor, women in prison, Servicio Internacional para La Paz,=20
Refuse and Resist, and her tireless fight for the rights of poor and =
homeless people.=20
She was a longtime opponent of the Santa Cruz Sleeping Ban.

Evelyn was a tireless fighter against police brutality, and used her =
house as=20
collateral to bail Steve Argue out of jail when he was charged for =
punching a SCPD officer=20
who was abusing a mother holding a small child. She opposed and =
publicized the death=20
squads in El Salvador and fought for civil rights.

A memorial to celebrate her life will be held on Sunday, September 8th, =
2002=20
from 6PM to 9PM at the Pacific Cultural Center 1307 Seabright Ave, Santa =
Cruz.=20

Since Evelyn always wore red at funerals, it is recommended that people =
wear red

to honor Evelyn at her memorial.=20

For more information, Call the HUFFline at (831) 423-HUFF

and leave a message with a contact number.

------=_NextPart_000_0052_01C254E8.E3D18460

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><B><FONT size=3D4>
<P align=3Dcenter>Evelyn Schoenfeld died August 24th, 2002</P>
<P align=3Dcenter></P></B></FONT>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>She was 87 years old.</P>
<P><BR>A longtime activist, Evelyn wrote her last two political letters =
on=20
Sunday, <BR>August 18th,2002. The first letter was to <B>Sen. Bruce=20
McPherson</B> urging him to vote <BR>against AB 1421, which will allow =
the=20
forced medication of persons suffering from mental <BR>health problems. =
The last=20
letter she wrote, was to <B>Mayor Christopher Krohn</B>, commending him =
for=20
voting against the draconian downtown ordinances. In part, she wrote "It =
goes=20
against the<BR>character of Santa Cruz to ban bubble-blowers, street =
musicians,=20
political tables, </P>
<P>jugglers, Frisbees, hacky-sackers, clowns, magicians, and homeless =
people=20
holding signs."<BR><BR>She was an Army veteran achieving the rank of =
Corporal in=20
the WAC and was awarded an honorable discharge.<BR><BR>Evelyn died at =
her home=20
in the Live Oak area of Santa Cruz surrounded by friends and cared for =
by=20
hospice. A former school teacher in Oakland, Ca., and a one-time =
actress, Evelyn=20
was active in many causes. She was persecuted for her communist views =
during the=20
McCarthy Era and she helped organize demonstrations and support groups =
for the=20
<B>Rosenbergs</B>. Much later, she was also a member of the <B><I>Santa =
Cruz=20
Coalition to Free Mumia Abu Jamal and All Political Prisoners</B></I>=20
(425-4467). </P>
<P>Her causes included, the <B><I>Black Panthers</B></I>, <B><I>Leonard=20
Peltier</B></I>, Medical Aid for El Salvador, the <B>ACLU</B>, the=20
<B><I>Nicaraguan Interfaith Committee for Action</B></I>, the =
<B><I>Christic=20
Institute</B></I>, opposition to the death penalty, <B>MOVE</B>, prison =
labor,=20
women in prison, <B><I>Servicio Internacional para La Paz</B></I>,=20
<BR><B><I>Refuse and Resist</B></I>, and her tireless fight for the =
rights of=20
poor and homeless people. <BR>She was a longtime opponent of the Santa =
Cruz=20
Sleeping Ban.<BR><BR>Evelyn was a tireless fighter against police =
brutality, and=20
used her house as <BR>collateral to bail <B>Steve Argue</B> out of jail =
when he=20
was charged for punching a SCPD officer <BR>who was abusing a mother =
holding a=20
small child. She opposed and publicized the death <BR>squads in El =
Salvador and=20
fought for civil rights.<BR><BR><B><U>A memorial to celebrate her life =
will be=20
held on Sunday, September 8th, 2002 <BR>from 6PM to 9PM at the Pacific =
Cultural=20
Center 1307 Seabright Ave, Santa Cruz</B></U>. </P>
<P>Since Evelyn always wore red at funerals, it is recommended that =
people wear=20
red</P>
<P>to honor Evelyn at her memorial. </P>
<P align=3Dcenter><BR><I>For more information, Call the HUFFline at =
(831)=20
423-HUFF</P>
<P align=3Dcenter>and leave a message with a contact=20
number.<BR><BR></P></I></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0052_01C254E8.E3D18460--