[Hpn] Johannesburg, SA - Homeless People to Contribute to WSSD - SABCnews.com - September 2, 2002

H. C. Covington H. C. Covington" <hccjr@bellsouth.net
Tue, 03 Sep 2002 02:45:05 -0500

Homeless People to Contribute to WSSD
World Summit on Sustainable Development

Councillor Judith Briggs comments: "It is highly ironic that to
make Johannesburg a suitable place to host the World Summit on
Sustainable Development, those who should be beneficiaries could
be displaced."
By SABCnews.com (Johannesburg) - September 2, 2002

A team of 20 homeless people will be cleaning the streets in the
Rosebank area for the Summit of the World leaders from today to
Wednesday.

The team will be wearing T-shirts which read "Sustainable People".

This is an unusual, eye-catching way of allowing the poorest of
the poor to contribute in some way to the deliberations on the
future of poverty in this country.

Police have actively discouraged any beggars, street people or
hawkers from coming near the World Summit.

Chris Lund, chairperson of the Rosebank Homeless Association,
which works to uplift the unemployed and disadvantaged in the
community, says: "We object to making homeless people 'invisible'
during the World Summit."

Councillor Judith Briggs comments: "It is highly ironic that to
make Johannesburg a suitable place to host the World Summit on
Sustainable Development, those who should be beneficiaries could
be displaced." She continues: "By removing some of the people who
make Johannesburg an African City, so too is removed the heart of
the city, for fear of offending those who should be working to
eradicate poverty. The poverty that gives people no alternative
but to live and work on the streets of our city. As a councillor
in Johannesburg I believe that we should be working to uplift
such people, not removing them for fear of their impact on world
leaders."

As a constructive form of protest, Rosebank is making its
homeless people highly visible with its team of street cleaners.

The Association hopes to counter negative perceptions of homeless
people and to show how homeless people are also often helpful and
constructive members of our community.