[Hpn] Daily Index to Homeless and Housing News for July 26, 2002 - Number 198
H. C. Covington
H. C. Covington" <email@example.com
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 13:34:05 -0500
The Homeless and Housing News for July 26, 2002
Index #198 - 17 news articles added as of 9:00 AM EST
To view or download these articles, click on the "Live Link"
under each article OR go to the ListGrp home page at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/homelessnews and click on "Messages."
[Note: The newest articles are always at the BOTTOM of the page.]
17 Topics added with live links to the full articles below :
Location / City Article Title
1. Atlanta, GA - Arthur M. Blank Family Foundation appoints new President - The
Atlanta Journal-Constitution - July 24, 2002
2. Boston, MA - You can't negotiate with a man who won't come to the table -
Boston Globe - July 24, 2002
3. Boston, MA - Legislature's budget places more than 800 homeless shelter beds
at risk - AP / FOX News - July 24, 2002
4. Homeless and Housing News Index for July 25, 2002 - Number 197
5. Rockport, MA - A push to keep Rockport Lodge open for women - Boston
Globe - July 25, 2002 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HomelessNews/message/1562
6. Salem, MA - City fights to keep affordable housing - The Boston Globe July
25, 2002 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HomelessNews/message/1563
7. Baltimore, MD - "Shelter Plus Care" most successful long-term solution to
homelessness - The Baltimore Sun - July 25, 2002
8. Baltimore, MD - Advocates for homeless fear crackdown will create record for
homeless offenders - Baltimore Sun - July 25, 2002
9. Indianapolis, IN - To help the truly needy, don't fall for panhandler's
pitch - The Indianapolis Star - July 25, 2002
10. York County, PA - New Housing Council head recalls her struggles; No
stranger of homelessness York Dispatch - July 24, 2002
11. Dakota County, MN - Not having affordable housing in a community is like not
having water - MN Sun Newspapers - May 1, 2002
12. Dakota County, MN - Group links homelessness to housing shortage - MN Sun
Newspapers - March 20, 2002
13. Monterey County, CA - County's homeless has increased 45 percent in 3
years - Monterey County Herald - July 23, 2002
14. San Francisco, CA - No home, no Castro for San Francisco's homeless - San
Francisco Examiner - July 24, 2002
15. San Francisco, CA - Plan C: San Francisco's "middle way" - San Francisco
Examiner - July 22, 2002 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HomelessNews/message/1572
16. New Orleans, LA - Cleanup of French Quarter - Since June 2 more than 3,200
arrests - Times-Picayune - July 19, 2002
17. Washington, DC - For a Homeless Boy, Camp Is an Oasis - Washington Post -
July 23, 2002 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HomelessNews/message/1574
If there are articles you wish to read or download, click on the "Live Link"
under each article and go directly to that article - OR go to
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/homelessnews/messages and browse down
to the article that is of interest to you. Click it and it will open.
[Note: The newest articles will always be found at the BOTTOM of the page.]
Thank you for your interest in helping "those called homeless."
If you would like to have a colleague receive their own copy of this digest,
tell them to:
1. Go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/homelessnews and click "Join this list"
on the website
2. Send a blank email to: HomelessNewsfirstname.lastname@example.org or
3. Write a personal note to HomelessNews@yahoogroups.com with the subject or
message "Subscribe - Special Index Messages"
we will be happy to personally add them to the membership.
H. C. [Sonny] Covington, Editor
Nonprofit Information Specialist
"Remember, to be truly helpful
to those called Homeless, we
must make HOPE possible,
rather than despair convincing"
BTW, if you see an article in your local newspaper or magazine, drop us a note
with the name of the article, newspaper or magazine name, and approximate date
and we will search it out and post it to the forum too. If you have an online
copy, just send us the article. If you wish to send a "hard copy," you may also
fax it to 1-775-213-6070.
Please let us know if you have ideas or suggestions of how this service can be
improved. We are attempting to help your local efforts to End Homelessness for
"Just One More".......... individual or family - this week, this month, and this
We encourage you to share this Daily Index with all those in your local Homeless
Coalition or Continuum of Care Network so they can also see the way America is
dealing with the homeless in small towns and large cities. As we all seek to
speak clearly about the lack of safe, secure and adequate housing "in our own
backyards," it is helpful to know what others are doing and saying too.
# # #