[Hpn] No stranger 2 plight of homeless: New Housing Council head recalls her struggles

Morgan W. Brown norsehorse@hotmail.com
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 15:48:31 -0400

-------Forwarded article-------

Wednesday, July 24, 2002
York Dispatch < http://www.yorkdispatch.com/dispatch>
[York, Pennsylvania]
Local News section
No stranger to plight of the homeless
<http://63.147.65.16/S-ASP-Bin/ReformatSQLIndex.ASP?puid=2752&spuid=2752&Indx=1488541&Article=ON&id=24292726&ro=7>

New Housing Council head recalls her struggles

By WENDI HIMMELRIGHT
Dispatch/Sunday News

Sherrie Davis said she will never forget what it felt like to be homeless --
sleeping in her car or at friends' homes, temporarily placing her two
children with relatives, having to shower and eat at work.

Though it was scary at the time, Davis said yesterday her six months of
homelessness, when she was 19 and 20, helps her when working with people in
need. It's one reason she applied to become executive director of the
Housing Council of York.

The board approved the 43-year-old Davis' hiring in May and she began work
June 25.

"I was as poor as I possibly could get. I really have an understanding of
what it is like to not have a place that you can call home and to live in
conditions that no one should live in," Davis said.

The housing council's former director, Cynthia Bair, resigned several months
ago and agency employee Lisa Streibig served as interim director until
Davis' appointment.

Bair resigned after York County commissioners temporarily froze $40,000 of a
$477,000 rent-assistance contract for three months earlier this year. York
County Human Services assistant director Bruce Funk said the county took the
action because of missing documentation.

The county gives the council about $585,000 it receives from state and
federal grants. The issue was resolved and the county is funding the program
again.

Programs: The Housing Council of York, a non-profit independent agency,
oversees home-buyer incentive programs, assists in filing unfair-housing
complaints, intervenes in landlord-tenant disputes and provides emergency
rental assistance.

Davis said the agency has a $1.5 million budget, which comes from state,
county and city agencies. About 4,500 people seek help from the council each
year.

"There isn't anyone out there that couldn't be in the same situation," Davis
said. "It only takes losing one or two paychecks to end up where some people
end up,"

Davis became homeless when she left her former husband.

"The only way I could escape was to live out of my car at that time," Davis
said.

She said she placed her 3-year-old daughter with her mother and her
1-year-old son with her ex-husband, and spent six months sleeping in her car
at a Harrisburg area truck stop or at friends' houses.

Davis said she saved money from her part-time job in a food concession stand
at Hersheypark. The job was perfect, Davis said, because she could eat and
shower at the park.

Her own place: About six months later, she moved into a single-room
apartment then received counseling and legal assistance through nonprofit
agencies.

"That's one of the reasons why I wanted to give back when I started working.
I couldn't have made it without the help of different agencies," Davis said.

Davis has more than 20 years of nonprofit experience as executive director
of Clare House, a homeless shelter in Lancaster; campaign director of United
Way of Lebanon County; manager of Special Olympics in Dauphin, Cumberland
and Perry counties and part of northern York County; and development manager
of Central Pennsylvania Legal Services, a nonprofit organization helping
low-income people and victims of domestic abuse. She's also completed
several courses of management training at Harrisburg Area Community College.

Davis remarried 14 years ago and has had two more children. She lives in
Annville, Lebanon County, with her husband and 19-year old daughter.

educational purposes only.**

-------End of forward-------

Morgan <norsehorse@hotmail.com>
Morgan W. Brown