[Hpn] Fwd: New list for prison & psych rights activists

Graeme Bacque gbacque@colosseum.com
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 19:20:47 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_lSeLcILJm3lQgRi8lVeUpw)

------------forwarded message------------
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 15:28:40 -0700
To: sci@efn.org
From: Eli Rosenblatt <elihu@prisonactivist.org>
Subject: New list for prison & psych rights activists

NEWS -- FEEL FREE TO FORWARD

We invite you to join a dynamic new mailing list. [prison+psychrights] is a
list devoted to networking, sharing information and building bridges
between activists focused on psychiatric rights and activists focused on
prisoners' rights.

For more than three decades, the roots of the psychiatric survivors' and
the prison justice movements have been intertwined. It's now time to
reaffirm and nurture those roots. There are many different opinions and
perspectives within each of these social change movements. This list is a
chance to have mutually-respectful discussions, find common ground, and
take action together.

Participants in this list are active with groups such as Support Coalition
International [http://mindfreedom.org] and the Prison Activist Resource
Center [http://prisonactivist.org] (A long-time SCI sponsor). We are
concerned about the merger of the psychopharmaceutical industry and the
prison industry, especially through the use of involuntary psychiatric
drugging.

In the last few years, the psychiatric survivors movement has increasingly
networked with other movements, especially the disability rights movement.
We see these movements -- like the prison justice movement -- as part of
the greater organized poor people's movement. It's important that we
network, stay in touch, and build solidarity. This list is one tool we can
use to reach realize those goals.