[Hpn] Miami Agency Speaks Up for the Homeless Voice

Wed, 17 Jul 2002 13:52:16 -0700

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=628&u=/adweek/20020716/ad_b
piaw/miami_agency_speaks_up_for_the_homeless_voice&printer=1

Miami Agency Speaks Up for the Homeless Voice
Tue Jul 16, 5:50 PM ET

ATLANTA--Crispin Porter + Bo-gusky's advertising campaign for the Homeless
Voice newspaper substitutes irony and edginess for familiar stereotypes.

Ads in the Miami shop's upcoming print and outdoor subscription effort range
from quirky ("Find out what all the cool homeless people are doing this
weekend") and humorous ("Don't go looking for the real estate section") to
in-your-face ("It comes right to your home. Lucky bastard").

"We didn't want homeless people to come across as victims," said CP+B
associate creative director Ari Merkin. "We wanted to convey real
personalities and sensibilities."

To that end, the agency casts the print ads with individuals from Hollywood,
Fla.'s Helping People in America homeless shelter.

Merkin wrote the copy which, under Silvana Widuczynski's art direction,
appears in the actual handwriting of shelter residents. Text is written on
simulated cardboard, similar to the handmade appeals of street people. One
outdoor message ("Thought for food") plays off the familiar "Will work for
food" plea of the indigent.

The ads will appear in area newspapers and periodicals including the Boca
Raton Times, Coral Gables Gazette, South Florida Business Journal and Boca
magazine, in the hope that the pro-bono work will be picked up by mainstream
media like the The Miami Herald.

The campaign supports an effort to build a standard subscription base for
the newspaper, which has been hawked by homeless people on metro Miami
street corners. Revenue generated through the $50 annual subscription fees
will support the shelter, which publishes the bi-monthly Homeless Voice.

Campaign strategy is to forge a connection between those without homes and
the rest of us.

"There's a perception that most homeless people are mentally ill," said
Merkin. "When we visited the shelter, we found functional members of society
who had a bad turn of luck."

-- Vincent Coppola

Copyright  2002 Yahoo! Inc.

--
END FORWARD
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is