[Hpn] Thousands of Nevadans with mental problems not being ser...

Graeme Bacque gbacque@colosseum.com
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 05:53:58 -0400

--=======38115454=======

--=====================_3545153==.ALT

At 12:11 AM 7/17/02 -0700, Jason Albertson wrote:

>There have been a number of brain imaging studies, fairly recent work,
>which show specific neurochemical differences int he brains of people with
>chronic schizophrenia. Same for bipolar disorder. These difference pretty
>clearly affect information processing in the brain. There are pathological
>abnormalities.....and it runs in the family, to an extent. Have you read
>the twin studies?

Two points on this paragraph specifically:

1. These studies do not indicate whether or not the subjects have been
'medicated' (or for how long) prior to examination.  The pool of subjects
these 'studies' likely draw from would suggest that many such individuals
had not only been drugged, but for a considerable period of time in many
instances.

Even with these 'studies' there's still no clear proof that variations in
brain structure either cause, or are caused by, the set of human phenomena
which get labeled (variously) 'schizophrenia', bipolar disorder' etc. There
is, however, considerable evidence that the 'treatments' for these supposed
'disorders' (which are primarily pharmaceutical in nature) can and do
significantly alter brain structure and function, resulting in physically
disabling and sometimes lethal consequences.  This is aside from the fact
that psychiatric 'medications' are not only addictive in most cases, but
can also damage many other parts of the body.

2. These studies appear to be predicated upon the notion that  'normal'
(whatever the hell that's supposed to mean) brain functions are essentially
identical across the human spectrum. This notion is bullshit simply because
the enormous diversity of humankind itself makes it physically impossible.
No two people (even 'identical' twins)  are exactly the same - so what
makes one think that any two peoples' brains are necessarily going to
function or look exactly alike?  The very idea is ludicrous. There's no way
of determining whether any  variations in brain structure or information
processing in 'medication'-free subjects (aside from obvious,
known  anomalies like tumors or physical trauma) are anything other than
perfectly natural.

So-called 'mental illnesses' run in families only in the sense that
children emulate and respond to behaviors displayed by the adults they have
ongoing contact with.  If these adult behaviors are in any way
dysfunctional  or deviant it is only natural to assume that any children
exposed to them will likely develop similar patterns of behaving and coping.

This whole area of  'science' is riddled with assumptions. It appears to
function as an attempt to publicly validate a set of predetermined
conclusions after the fact as opposed to actually seeking to discover
anything new. It also appears to be paving the way to a set of invasive
tinkerings with peoples' physical and genetic makeup which are both
terrifying in their implications and utterly reprehensible morally. The
same pharmaceutical corporations who manufacture the 'medications' used in
psychiatry are involved in genetic engineering development. While the
application (at this stage) of this emerging technology appears to be
primarily agricultural, there's no guarantee it will remain limited to this
area.

Sometimes it's better to leave certain things alone, at least in the
physical sense. What is really frightening is the complete lack of humility
most 'scientists' appear to be bringing into these endeavors nowadays. They
feel they can do anything they wish, and to hell with the people whose
lives may be affected negatively in consequence.

I stick with my perspective that psychiatric 'diagnoses' have nothing to do
with medicine but instead are social value judgments which are made in
ignorance (or denial) of the context of peoples' actual life
experiences,  and which  serve a specific social and political agenda while
masquerading as compassion.

True compassion would require accepting and respecting people for who they
are without attempting to forcibly change them, while ensuring their
fundamental needs are being met. Instead, we live within a social construct
which reacts in horror to any personal behaviors, feelings, perceptions,
systems of belief or  lifestyle choices which appear to violate existing
social parameters of 'normalcy'.

In biblical through medieval times, such individuals were commonly thought
to be possessed by demons. Later, persons of this type were thought to be
somehow 'morally compromised' or  'deficient,.' The second half of the
twentieth century has seen an aggressive attempt to 'medicalize' all things
human.

To be honest, all these evolving beliefs and responses to human behavior
reflect nothing other than plain old-fashioned social control wearing an
ever-changing variety of disguises through history.  This is why psychiatry
remains the only medical specially which is legally empowered to routinely
act against peoples' wishes. By doing so it is merely following in the
footsteps of the exorcists, witchburners, puritans and assorted other
social arbiters and tinkerers who preceded it. There's nothing really new here.

                                                          ***
                                   Graeme Bacque gbacque@colosseum.com
                                         http://bacque.graeme.tripod.com
                               Images of Struggle:
http://graemesgallery.tripod.com
                                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                    'Madness is the channel by which we receive
                                             the greatest blessings' - Socrates
                                                         ***

--=====================_3545153==.ALT

imaging studies, fairly recent work, which show specific neurochemical
differences int he brains of people with chronic schizophrenia. Same for
bipolar disorder. These difference pretty clearly affect information
processing in the brain. There are pathological abnormalities.....and it
runs in the family, to an extent. Have you read the twin
studies?</blockquote>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
Two points on this paragraph specifically:<br><br>
<b>1.</b> These studies do not indicate whether or not the subjects have
been 'medicated' (or for how long) prior to examination.&nbsp; The pool
of subjects these 'studies' likely draw from would suggest that many such
individuals had not only been drugged, but for a considerable period of
time in many instances. <br><br>
Even with these 'studies' there's still no clear proof that variations in
brain structure either cause, or are caused by, the set of human
phenomena which get labeled (variously) 'schizophrenia', bipolar
disorder' etc. There is, however, considerable evidence that the
'treatments' for these supposed 'disorders' (which are primarily
pharmaceutical in nature) can and do significantly alter brain structure
and function, resulting in physically disabling and sometimes lethal
consequences.&nbsp; This is aside from the fact that psychiatric
'medications' are not only addictive in most cases, but can also damage
many other parts of the body.<br><br>
<b>2. </b>These studies appear to be predicated upon the notion
that&nbsp; 'normal' (whatever the hell that's supposed to mean) brain
functions are essentially identical across the human spectrum. This
notion is bullshit simply because the enormous diversity of humankind
itself makes it physically impossible. No two people (even 'identical'
twins)&nbsp; are exactly the same - so what makes one think that any two
exactly alike?&nbsp; The very idea is ludicrous. There's no way of
determining whether any&nbsp; variations in brain structure or
information processing in 'medication'-free subjects (aside from obvious,
known&nbsp; anomalies like tumors or physical trauma) are anything other
than perfectly natural.&nbsp; <br><br>
So-called 'mental illnesses' run in families only in the sense that
children emulate and respond to behaviors displayed by the adults they
have ongoing contact with.&nbsp; If these adult behaviors are in any way
dysfunctional&nbsp; or deviant it is only natural to assume that any
children exposed to them will likely develop similar patterns of behaving
and coping. <br><br>
This whole area of&nbsp; 'science' is riddled with assumptions. It
appears to function as an attempt to publicly validate a set of
predetermined conclusions after the fact as opposed to actually seeking
to discover anything new. It also appears to be paving the way to a set
of invasive tinkerings with peoples' physical and genetic makeup which
are both terrifying in their implications and utterly reprehensible
morally. The same pharmaceutical corporations who manufacture the
'medications' used in psychiatry are involved in genetic engineering
development. While the application (at this stage) of this emerging
technology appears to be primarily agricultural, there's no guarantee it
will remain limited to this area.<br><br>
Sometimes it's better to leave certain things alone, at least in the
physical sense. What is really frightening is the complete lack of
humility most 'scientists' appear to be bringing into these endeavors
nowadays. They feel they can do anything they wish, and to hell with the
people whose lives may be affected negatively in consequence.<br><br>
I stick with my perspective that psychiatric 'diagnoses' have nothing to
do with medicine but instead are social value judgments which are made in
ignorance (or denial) of the context of peoples' actual life
experiences,&nbsp; and which&nbsp; serve a specific social and political
agenda while masquerading as compassion. <br><br>
people for who they are without attempting to forcibly change them, while
ensuring their fundamental needs are being met. Instead, we live within a
social construct which reacts in horror to any personal behaviors,
feelings, perceptions, systems of belief or&nbsp; lifestyle choices which
appear to violate existing social parameters of 'normalcy'. <br><br>
In biblical through medieval times, such individuals were commonly
thought to be possessed by demons. Later, persons of this type were
thought to be somehow 'morally compromised' or&nbsp; 'deficient,.' The
second half of the twentieth century has seen an aggressive attempt to
'medicalize' all things human.&nbsp; <br><br>
To be honest, all these evolving beliefs and responses to human behavior
reflect nothing other than plain old-fashioned social control wearing an
ever-changing variety of disguises through history.&nbsp; This is why
psychiatry remains the only medical specially which is legally empowered
to routinely act against peoples' wishes. By doing so it is merely
following in the footsteps of the exorcists, witchburners, puritans and
assorted other social arbiters and tinkerers who preceded it. There's
nothing really new here.<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
***<br>
Graeme Bacque gbacque@colosseum.com<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Images of Struggle:
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
'Madness is the channel by which we receive<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
the greatest blessings' - Socrates<br>