[Hpn] churning

Morgan W. Brown norsehorse@hotmail.com
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 16:05:46 -0400

Below is a forward of an edited note from one which I had sent to a friend
earlier today written after a disappointing time involving housing stuff on
the personal level.

Am also including a little heated poem I just wrote, which I am sharing with
you as well.

Morgan <norsehorse@hotmail.com>
Morgan W. Brown
Montpelier Vermont

-------Forwarded FYI-------

Guess the Vermont State Housing Authority (VSHA) <http://www.vsha.org> meant
it when they stated that it was just an update session in their letter to me
concerning my recent stay on their Section eight (8) waiting list(s).

All they wanted me to do was fill out the same old forms yet again; even
though I did it 2 or 3 months ago.

I am aware that the forms get out-of-date quickly enough; but they know from
prior experience with me in times past that I have a hard time filling out
those forms and it takes me time and focus to do it, it comes extremely hard
for me to do; especially either on my own or in certain settings or, with
people I do not know at all. :-(

In the past, the previous time around  -- when I got my last voucher from
the VSHA, in the same sort of circumstances, the person (--snip--) just
filled out the forms for me in my presense, asked me questions and I signed.
Easy enough. Plus it was done in a one on one setting.

Not in a big room with other people in it doing the same thing, with the
distraction that brings plus people in ear shot of what is only my business.

Of course now I am dealing with some newer people there.

They just want their forms filled out and expect me and others to just do it
or else. Well, I simply or elsed.

I am not just going to keep waiting and waiting and filling out a new
application over and over and over again.

This process is what is called "churning."

Churn baby, churn:

A lot of people, especially those most in need - including many with
disabilities, just give up and go away (also there can be a huge problem
with mail getting to people who have either changing or no mailing
addresses).

This way it artificially looks, on paper anyway, like the waiting lists have
a quicker turn over than they actually do, etc, and as if the need really is
not as bad as it truly is.

I am not saying this is intentional or a conspiracy in any way, but it ends
up functioning as if it were, the results are the same.

People give up, go away. They get the implied message. Problem solved: "See,
there was no problem. If they really needed it, they would have died waiting
or done whatever was needed even though we don't tell them what that is and
just keep them in the dark waiting forever". :-<

While VSHA is better than most HA's, they still function in much the same
way as the rest, plus they have new people who do not get it and do not care
for people, just their paperwork, jobs and salaries for the most part or so
it seems.

Nuff said. :-) [smile]

Morgan

~~~Poem:

churning

the times, they have been churning,
ignited into intense blue white flames,
black and blue is what they end up turning
everything, with their constant burning,
deep inside and then the surfaces, until
nothing but darkness and its extremely hellish
pain are trapped inside, with no way out

by Morgan W. Brown
Monday, July 15, 2002
Montpelier Vermont

-------End of forward-------