[Hpn] Editorial: 'Money for housing'; &, "It's My Turn" op-ed: 'Homelessness is ... "

Morgan W. Brown norsehorse@hotmail.com
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 09:40:19 -0400

-------Forwarded Editorial & "It's My Turn"-------

Sunday, July 14, 2002
Burlington Free Press <http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com>
[Burlington, Vermont]
Editorial/Opinion section
Burlington Free Press Editorial
Money for housing
<http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/bfpnews/editorial/sunday/1000h.htm>

Vermont and Burlington could soon double the amount of money they spend on
affordable housing if legislation proposed by Rep. Bernie Sanders is passed.

The bill would authorize the federal government to give matching funds to
state and local governments that have affordable housing trust funds.

Housing advocates, municipalities and states across the country have been
waiting years for this kind of federal help.

Vermont and Burlington are among 280 municipalities and states that have
trust funds. They stand to gain millions of dollars for housing if the
measure introduced by Sanders, I-Vt., becomes law.

"There has been so little for so many years of major housing initiatives on
the federal level," said Michael Monte, director of Burlington's Community
and Economic Development Office. "Everybody kept saying: It won't happen."

Sanders' National Affordable Housing Trust legislation won approval last
week from the House Financial Services Committee, and is part of a larger
housing bill expected to pass the House before the August congressional
recess.

If the federal government matches Vermont's trust fund, it could grow to
nearly $12 million a year to build, rehabilitate and preserve affordable
housing. About 38 percent of Vermonters spend more than 30 percent of their
income on rent, according to the Vermont Affordable Housing Coalition.

In Burlington, where the City Council has made affordable housing a
priority, the housing trust fund of about $175,000 would double to $350,000.
The city could use the federal money for its new home ownership program,
without resorting to increasing property taxes, Monte said.

Burlington is the only community in Chittenden County with a housing trust.
The prospect of federal rewards might encourage other communities to start
trusts and ease the county's housing crunch.

Sanders, who calls the housing shortage "one of the major crises facing
America," said his legislation was a community effort, backed by 2,800
grassroots groups from all walks of life, including businesses worried about
their workers' inability to find housing.

The bill deserves strong support. In the richest country on earth, almost 28
million Americans pay more than 30 percent of their incomes on housing and
800,000 people are homeless.

There are times when government has to step in. Helping people achieve the
basic right of shelter is one of those times.

---End of forwarded editorial---

Sunday, July 14, 2002
Burlington Free Press <http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com>
[Burlington, Vermont]
Editorial/Opinion section
"It's My Turn"/Op-Ed segment
Homelessness is having no place to hang your hat
<http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/bfpnews/editorial/sunday/3000h.htm>

By Morgan W. Brown

If "home is where one hangs one's hat," where does a person who is living
homeless hang their hat?

When a person hangs their hat someplace temporarily, are they no longer
considered truly homeless even if, in fact, it is not really their home?

Being homeless myself, I know well how the smallest items of hope are always
held onto very tightly.

Just like one's own sense of dignity, self-respect, pride -- which are
equally cherished and held close, such hope can often prove extremely useful
and even vital in the long journey being undertaken just in managing to
survive as well as living independently.

These core parts of one's self can also be key to what is needed to help
find, obtain and then move into some form of safe, decent and affordable
housing of one's own; which is an essential part of what is needed to end
homelessness.

As near as it may be to my becoming housed once again, after being homeless
in its various forms for nearly five years this time around, one would think
nothing could easily stand in my way.

Yet, there are many moments when it seems too daunting and so very far away
to ever be accomplished on one's own.

There are those days, and even weeks, which do not seem to pass by without a
severe and persistent need to find and renew hope, inner strength as well as
faith in everything.

Almost constantly, in many different ways, I remind myself that whatever the
circumstances or, how they are experienced and felt, there are always other
ways of thinking about them and other methods of accomplishing something
when it is waited for a little while longer and, what is sought is looked
for even deeper than we may believe is possible and, the support needed to
do so is received.

Just as crucial though, the value of the smallest or seemingly least
important thing to provide inspiration should never be underestimated; often
found in what we may perceive to be the most unlikely of places or persons,
especially when it is needed the most.

These are among the things which often help me to never, ever, give up on
anything or anybody -- and, most importantly, never on myself.

When I do find and move into a place of my own, my hat will be hung where it
can be grabbed at ease when needed. Then whenever it is off of my head and
in its usual resting place, I will know I am home.

Morgan W. Brown is living homeless in Montpelier.

---End of forwarded "It's My Turn" op-ed---

~~~fyi:

Submitting Letters to the Editor, Burlington Free Press:

letters@bfp.burlingtonfreepress.com

-- Note: Strict 200 Word Max. for letters to the editor; "My Turn" rebuttal
pieces 550 words Max.

Letter to the Editor FAQ
<http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/faq.htm#lettertoed>:

Q: How long can a letter to the editor be? Who can write It's My Turn pieces
and how long can they be?

A: A letter to the editor must be no more than 200 words. The primary role
of the Forum is for the discussion of issues of broad public interest. We
are not able to print letters of a personal nature, letters about private
disputes or letters thanking or praising individuals or institutions. We do
not accept more than one letter from a writer every 30 days. We do not print
poetry. We do not generally print letters from people living outside of
Vermont. We do not publish form letters. A letter can have only one byline.
A My Turn piece should be a rebuttal of an editorial or to illuminate major
news stories. A My Turn must not exceed 550 words, and a picture of the
writer must be included.

educational purposes only.**

-------End of forward-------

Morgan <norsehorse@hotmail.com>