[Hpn] Thousands of Nevadans with mental problems not being ser...

HOBOMATT@aol.com HOBOMATT@aol.com
Tue, 09 Jul 2002 11:42:46 -0400 (EDT)

--Boundary_(ID_WZ5nqSDGwoyCh4uGBtFo7Q)

In a message dated 7/9/2002 2:26:28 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
gbacque@colosseum.com writes:

> I see we're back to blaming homelessness on 'mental illness' as opposed to
> a lack of housing that lower-income people can actually afford to live
> in.  It's always been far simpler (as well as advantageous for
> policy-makers) to pin responsibility for such issues on 'personal defects'
> as opposed to societal flaws

And what is wrong with looking at BOTH these problems as contributing to our
homeless population growth.  Even if there IS affordable housing, it won't
work for those with serious mental illnesses, without a decent community
mental heath system as support.
Matt Parkhouse, RN
Colorado Springs, CO
(where the Community Mental Health Center only takes people with insurance!)

--Boundary_(ID_WZ5nqSDGwoyCh4uGBtFo7Q)

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">In a message dated 7/9/2002 2:26:28 AM Mountain Daylight Time, gbacque@colosseum.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">I see we're back to blaming homelessness on 'mental illness' as opposed to <BR>
a lack of housing that lower-income people can actually afford to live <BR>
in.&nbsp; It's always been far simpler (as well as advantageous for <BR>
policy-makers) to pin responsibility for such issues on 'personal defects' <BR>
as opposed to societal flaws</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
And what is wrong with looking at BOTH these problems as contributing to our homeless population growth.&nbsp; Even if there IS affordable housing, it won't work for those with serious mental illnesses, without a decent community mental heath system as support.<BR>
Matt Parkhouse, RN<BR>
Colorado Springs, CO<BR>
(where the Community Mental Health Center only takes people with insurance!)</FONT></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_WZ5nqSDGwoyCh4uGBtFo7Q)--