[Hpn] Reno, NV - Thousands of Nevadans with mental problems not being served - RENO GAZETTE-JOURNAL -- June 18, 2002 -

Graeme Bacque gbacque@colosseum.com
Tue, 09 Jul 2002 04:26:12 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_qJ+a1iSTxl4S5ZEn1dSr9w)

I see we're back to blaming homelessness on 'mental illness' as opposed to=
=20
a lack of housing that lower-income people can actually afford to live=20
in.  It's always been far simpler (as well as advantageous for=20
policy-makers) to pin responsibility for such issues on 'personal defects'=
=20
as opposed to societal flaws.

At 08:26 AM 7/3/02 -0500, Editor wrote:

>Thousands of Nevadans with mental problems not being served
>20,750 people may be homeless at any given time

>Associated Press -- RENO GAZETTE-JOURNAL -- June 18, 2002
>
>Thousands of Nevadans with mental problems aren=92t being served because of=
 gaps
>in the state=92s treatment system, a new report says.
>
>The study by the state Division of Mental Health and Developmental=20
>Services says
>high priorities should be placed on more hospital beds for the mentally=
 ill,
>psychiatric emergency services, counseling, medication and services to the
>homeless.
>
>The state hasn=92t estimated how much it would cost to make the=
 improvements.
>Division administrator Carlos Brandenburg said the study provides the=
 agency
>information it will use to build its upcoming biennial budget.
>
>The report, called the =932002 Needs Assessment,=94 was written by Laura=20
>Valentine,
>a researcher for the division. It estimates that 5.4 percent of the state=
=92s
>population =97 about 83,000 people =97 suffer from serious mental illness.=
 Of that