[Hpn] Fwd: (en) Canada, Ottawa, Legal Update - Squatters face harsh charges and conditions

Graeme Bacque gbacque@colosseum.com
Thu, 04 Jul 2002 00:20:34 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_A3cAaHct+ETsO/CCydCAug)

------------forwarded message------------
From: heidi rimke <hrimke@ccs.carleton.ca>
To: a-infos-en@ainfos.ca
Subject: (en) Canada, Ottawa, Legal Update - Squatters face harsh charges
and conditions
Date: Thu,  4 Jul 2002 00:05:28 -0400 (EDT)

       A - I N F O S  N E W S  S E R V I C E
             http://www.ainfos.ca/

 > From: Darren <darrenp@riseup.net>
Legal Update - Squatters face harsh charges and conditions
A news update just came in from our overworked legal team.
They are doing an excellent job on little sleep and low staffing!

As far as we know 22 people have been arrested.  The legal team has been given
the royal run around by the police at the station on Elgin Street where
detainees are being held.  They have not been able to obtain a straight answer
on the number of prisoners, nor have detainees been able to meet with their
counsel beyond an initial brief encounter.

One detainee has been released.  She has been released into conditions of
house
arrest.  She has been given a very strict curfew until her hearing
begins.  She
is also not allowed to go within 500 metres of the squat property.  The
charges
faced by our brave squatter are: 3 counts of mischief over $5000.00, break and
enter and obstruct police.  This is interesting as it is my understanding that
this woman was not even arrested on the squat property, but on the road in
front.  This released squatter was one of the initial detained.

Further news from the inside is that the other detainees are refusing the
conditions and trying to go for bail instead.  On the inside it seems the
living conditions are very bad.  The detainees do not have access to potable
water.  Instead they have access to a fountain covered in vomit and faecal
matter.  They are being held in very cold conditions with no blankets.  Also,
there is no toilet paper and substandard food.

This update is based on second person reporting.

You can call the cell block at Elgin Street at 613-236-1222.

More later.

SOLIDARITY WITH THE DETAINEES, WHETHER UNDER HOUSE ARREST OR ON THE ELGIN
STREET SITE.

NO HOUSING, NO PEACE, THE SQUATTING WON?T CEASE.

(see www.ottawa.indymedia.org for further and background info on the squat)

*******
                        ********
        ****** The A-Infos News Service ******
       News about and of interest to anarchists
                        ******
   COMMANDS: lists@ainfos.ca
   REPLIES: a-infos-d@ainfos.ca
   HELP: a-infos-org@ainfos.ca
   WWW: http://www.ainfos.ca/
   INFO: http://www.ainfos.ca/org

-To receive a-infos in one language only mail lists@ainfos.ca the message:
                 unsubscribe a-infos
                 subscribe a-infos-X
  where X = en, ca, de, fr, etc. (i.e. the language code)

--Boundary_(ID_A3cAaHct+ETsO/CCydCAug)

---