[Hpn] Reverse the Medias Censorship of the UN And the Voice of the Poor, as in exhibit

W.C.Tinker wtinker@metrocast.net
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 11:32:23 -0500

--Boundary_(ID_1UOpTNni/mHFXodcMfKuHQ)

From: Jan Lightfoot janhouse@yahoo.com

  Here is a copy of a request sent to a group, In hopes you will support =
our struggling group. If you are kind enough to repond please include =
the words "Poverty Exhibit" in the subject line. Thanks you in advance.  =
It dawned upon us the media not only fore-goes telling the real plight =
and cause of poverty, or of how the safety net gives the illusion of =
assistance to all, while failing 2/3s or so. =20

 The American Media also omits Many ending poverty reports released by =
the UN.  Or if some UN Reports are included, in routine media coverage, =
usually they are not with the emphasize required to start a successful =
action.  Our exhibit is not alone in being slighted or under covered by =
the Mainstream Media.   But lets combine forces, ideas, volunteers, =
resources, and start there.=20

                             THE LETTER
Dear Group:  Our 20 year old group is hosting an exhibit on poverty.  We =
seek  National MEDIA COVERAGE, on this before Jan 8th, when the best =
display we can afford, comes down.

We believe this is the first time EVER there has been a free standing =
exhibit on poverty and homlessness, and as a forum to allow the poor to =
speak out.  Many who views the exhibit comments it IS Worthy of mention. =
   And the media should expose this type of happening, as bravely as =
they would cover a fire.

  Students  will visit over the holidays.   But our local newspaper =
refuses to carry word one, about this=20
event.  Seems they  just do not get it, or are afraid of the poor =
telling their own story.   Or whatever, their silence means.  =20

The store space for the display was rented.    We also could not afford =
to purchase photos from historial societies which shows Stuff as Child =
Labor, Blacks in Maine, ect. =20

Jan 7th  is the day we Will announce the Closing of the Exhibit, Bits =
and Pieces of Yesterdays Poverty as proudly, and with as much fanfare as =
when we announced the opening.  This closing, can mark the commencement =
of a traveling  cultural exhibit on poverty and its solutions.

One of the 54 year old solution is the United Nations Universial =
Ecomonic declaration on human Rights.   In its Article # 25, it called =
for  what amounts to a livable wage.

The USA president Jimmy Carter Signed this conventant for the United =
States of America, on Oct 30, 1977.  There was perhaps an eight inch =
mention of it in some mainstream newspapers the next day, but nothing =
more.=20

We will then announce if the public wants to assist this charitable  =
non-profit, we will set up the display in a traveling format so students =
across the state, and in different states,  can have this cultural =
exhibit at their classroom door.

While  as I explained for reasons they will not explain, the Local  =
Waterville ME newspaper the Sentinel, seems unwilling to carry news of =
this endeavor.   Perhaps  with your imput the National media might cover =
this.

If this Traveling exhibit can give spirit to the move to change  our =
nations attidudes against those in poverty, in my educated opinion, that =
 is newsworthy.  But the Traveling exhibit will need the finacial =
assistance of the larger community it serves.

So I ask  "will you, or the netaction",  help us get out the word not =
only of our need, but of the message we carry to those willing to =
listen?"   If Hospitality House Inc. could reach and interest one =
National News Source, am certain we could reach enough visionaries =
willing to help  us.  The goal is awareness to end poverty.

Ending Poverty, does not take more money nor even more programs.  If all =
working  people earned enough  than 65% of the working poor, would not =
be poor.  They would not require food stamps.  Its the attitude which =
must change, to annhilate poverty, rather than kill  the hope of the =
poor, themselves.

Programs Coordinator

Jan Lightfoot-Lane

207/861-7069

Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now =

--Boundary_(ID_1UOpTNni/mHFXodcMfKuHQ)

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><B>From:</B> <A title=3Djanshouse@yahoo.com=20
href=3D"mailto:janshouse@yahoo.com">Jan Lightfoot</A> <STRONG><A=20
href=3D"mailto:janhouse@yahoo.com">janhouse@yahoo.com</A></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<P><FONT size=3D4>&nbsp; Here is a copy of a request sent to a group, In =
hopes you=20
will support our struggling group. If you are kind enough to repond =
please=20
include the words "Poverty Exhibit" in the subject line. Thanks you in=20
advance.&nbsp; It dawned upon us the media not only fore-goes telling =
the real=20
plight and cause of poverty, or of how the safety net gives the illusion =
of=20
assistance to all, while failing 2/3s or so.&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></P>
<P><FONT size=3D4>&nbsp;The American Media also omits Many ending =
poverty reports=20
released by the UN.&nbsp; Or if some UN Reports are&nbsp;included, in =
routine=20
media coverage,&nbsp;usually they are&nbsp;not with the emphasize =
required to=20
start&nbsp;a successful&nbsp;action.&nbsp; Our exhibit is not alone=20
in&nbsp;being slighted or under covered by the Mainstream Media.&nbsp; =
&nbsp;But=20
lets combine forces, ideas, volunteers, resources, and start=20
there.&nbsp;<BR></FONT></P>
<P align=3Dleft><FONT size=3D4><FONT=20
color=3D#00007f>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
&nbsp;<STRONG><FONT size=3D5>THE LETTER<BR></FONT></STRONG></FONT>Dear=20
Group:&nbsp; Our 20 year old group is hosting an exhibit on =
poverty.&nbsp; We=20
seek&nbsp;&nbsp;National MEDIA COVERAGE, on this before Jan 8th, when =
the best=20
display we can afford, comes down.<BR><BR>We believe this is the first =
time EVER=20
there has been a free standing exhibit on poverty and homlessness, and =
as a=20
forum to allow the poor to&nbsp;speak out.&nbsp; Many who views the =
exhibit=20
comments&nbsp;it IS Worthy of mention.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; And the media =
should=20
expose this type of happening, as bravely as they would cover a =
fire.</FONT></P>
<P align=3Dleft><FONT size=3D4>&nbsp; Students&nbsp; will visit over the =

holidays.&nbsp;&nbsp; But our local newspaper refuses to carry word one, =
about=20
this <BR>event.&nbsp; Seems they&nbsp; just do not get it, or are afraid =
of the=20
poor telling their own story.&nbsp;&nbsp; Or whatever, their silence=20
means.&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT></P>
<P align=3Dleft><FONT size=3D4>The store space for the display was=20
rented.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; We also could not afford to purchase photos =
from=20
historial societies which shows Stuff as Child Labor, Blacks in Maine,=20
ect.&nbsp; <BR><BR>Jan 7th&nbsp; is the day we Will announce the Closing =
of the=20
Exhibit, Bits and Pieces of Yesterdays Poverty as proudly, and with as =
much=20
fanfare&nbsp;as&nbsp;when&nbsp;we announced the opening.&nbsp; This =
closing, can=20
mark the commencement of a traveling&nbsp; cultural exhibit on poverty =
and its=20
solutions.</FONT></P>
<P align=3Dleft><FONT size=3D4>One of the 54 year old solution is the =
United Nations=20
Universial Ecomonic declaration on human Rights.&nbsp;&nbsp; In its =
Article=20
#&nbsp;25, it&nbsp;called for&nbsp; what amounts to a livable =
wage.</FONT></P>
<P align=3Dleft><FONT size=3D4>The USA president Jimmy Carter Signed =
this conventant=20
for the United States of America,&nbsp;on Oct 30, 1977.&nbsp; There was =
perhaps=20
an eight inch mention of it in some mainstream newspapers the next day, =
but=20
nothing more.&nbsp;</FONT></P><FONT size=3D4>
<P align=3Dleft><BR>We will then announce if the public wants to assist =
this=20
charitable&nbsp; non-profit, we will set up the display in a traveling =
format so=20
students across the state, and in different states,&nbsp; can have this =
cultural=20
exhibit at their classroom door.<BR><BR>While&nbsp; as I explained for =
reasons=20
they will not explain, the Local&nbsp; Waterville ME newspaper the =
Sentinel,=20
seems unwilling to carry news of this endeavor.&nbsp; =
&nbsp;Perhaps&nbsp; with=20
your imput the National media might cover this.<BR><BR>If this Traveling =
exhibit=20
can give spirit to the move to change&nbsp; our nations attidudes =
against those=20
in poverty, in my educated opinion, that&nbsp; is newsworthy.&nbsp; But =
the=20
Traveling exhibit will need the finacial assistance of the larger =
community it=20
serves.<BR><BR>So I ask&nbsp; "will you, or the netaction",&nbsp; help =
us get=20
out the word not only of our need, but of the message we carry to those =
willing=20
to listen?"&nbsp;&nbsp; If Hospitality House Inc. could reach and =
interest one=20
National News Source, am certain we could reach enough visionaries =
willing to=20
help&nbsp; us.&nbsp; The goal is awareness to end poverty.</P>
<P align=3Dleft>Ending Poverty, does not take more money nor even more=20
programs.&nbsp; If all working &nbsp;people earned enough&nbsp; than 65% =
of the=20
working poor, would not be poor.&nbsp; They would not require food =
stamps.&nbsp;=20
Its the attitude which must change, to annhilate poverty, rather than =
kill&nbsp;=20
the hope of the poor, themselves.<BR><BR>Programs Coordinator<BR><BR>Jan =

Lightfoot-Lane<BR><BR>207/861-7069<BR><BR></P></FONT>
<P><BR>
<HR SIZE=3D1>
Do you Yahoo!?<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://rd.yahoo.com/mail/mailsig/*http://mailplus.yahoo.com">Yaho=
o! Mail=20
Plus</A> - Powerful. Affordable. <A=20
href=3D"http://rd.yahoo.com/mail/mailsig/*http://mailplus.yahoo.com">Sign=
 up=20
now</A> </BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_1UOpTNni/mHFXodcMfKuHQ)--