[Hpn] [Fwd: OCAP Working to Find Shelter for Homeless Blind Man]

Graeme Bacque gbacque@colosseum.com
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 11:51:28 -0800

--------------010400040002090807080303

  -------- Original Message --------
Subject: OCAP Working to Find Shelter for Homeless Blind Man
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 11:43:12 -0500 (EST)
From: OCAP <ocap@tao.ca>
To: ocap@lists.tao.ca

OCAP WORKING TO FIND SHELTER FOR HOMELESS BLIND MAN - PLEASE HELP

    Ivor Henriques is a blind man who also suffers from post traumatic
stress disorder and Tourettes Syndrome.  This means that he finds it very
stressful to be touched unexpectedly.  This triggers his seizures and
causes him to shout and swear uncontrollably.  He simply can't survive in
the overcrowded and tense hostels that the homeless have to turn to.

    The week before last, OCAP brought a delegation to Hostel Services.
Ivor was placed in Seaton House as a 'solution' to his situation.  A
further delegation to the Mayor's office produced no better result.  Ivor
is living in intolerable misery in the overcrowded shelter and has to find
a more private space if he is not to be forced out onto the streets.

    We are going to put him up in a hotel ourselves this coming week and
demand of the City that it face up to its responsibilities and meet this
man's shelter needs in a decent fashion.  We intend to pay for the first
week's accomodation and then campaign to pressure the City to take over.
We expect to spend about $400 for a room and various supports and would
greatly appreciate any donations to assist us.

    Please send cheques to OCAP, 517 College, Unit 234, M6G 4A2.  Please
note that it is a donation for Ivor Henriques.

Thanks

--
Graeme Bacque <gbacque@colosseum.com>
<http://bacque.graeme.tripod.com>