[Hpn] Greetings.

Tent City tentcitypdx@yahoo.com
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 10:46:19 -0700 (PDT)

Good morning.

My name is Jack Tafari and I am the chairman of
Dignity Village, an incorporated tentcity in Portland,
Oregon. We hear from our comrades from some very good
groups who work with our brothers and sisters in Osaka
and elsewhere of the proposed evictions of 150 people
who live in Ohizumi Park. We understand that what is
at issue, apart from people being allowed to live in
Ohizumi Park, is access to recyclables which is an
integral part of poor people's ability to earn a
livlihood there in Japan as it is here in Amerika.

We strongly urge the Bureau of Public Works bargain
and negotiate in good faith with our brothers and
sisters in Ohizumi Park and their representatives and
supporters. We further urge that the people who live
in Ohizumi Park not be displaced and swept away like
so much dirt or debris for they, like we of Dignity
Village, are human beings whose only difference is our
poverty.

We hope that, through understanding and bargaining in
good faith, that any problems real or perceived
between the authorities and the people of Ohizumi Park
are amicably resolved.

Yours truly,
Jack Tafari.