[Hpn] Re: Fwd:

Tent City tentcitypdx@yahoo.com
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 11:28:39 -0700 (PDT)

Nice report, Lee, great work and I forward it along
Ital ("pure") to our brothers and sisters in the
tentcities up and down the West Coast and to
Tabirounen in Osaka and to Tent City in Toronto,
Ontario, as well.

I note that you say, perhaps elsewhere, that "street
sleepers" was the preferred Japanese term to our term
"houseless" here in Portland and point out that in New
Delhi when I lived there the term was "street
dwellers."

I'd also like to comment on the state of manners here
inna 'merika and say that I've noticed that in older
cultures like Europe and Asia where the demography is
denser than here and where "rugged individualism"
isn't the dominant ideology, the art of living
together seems to be more highly developed.

Look forward to Monday when I can post a lot of the
Japanese photos and material on our Web site!

Jah guide and protect.
Jack.

--- LKLarson1@aol.com wrote:

> ATTACHMENT part 2 message/rfc822
> Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 11:09:58 GMT
> To: LKlarson1@aol.com
> CC:
> From: rayna07r@juno.com
>
> Hey Lee,
>   i was thrilled to get your “report,” it’s the
> first comparative evaluation ive seen yet on
> homeless populations in the us and japan(besides the
> one in my head) and i believe youre right on with a
> lot of (dare i say all) your interpretive free
> thinking. the inexplicable degree to which homeless
> persons are marginalized and criminalized through
> “vagrancy” laws in particular and legal, political,
> and social policies as a whole in amerika never
> ceases to astound me- case in point, im still trying
> to get my head around the no “leaning against walls”
> and “hugging each other” thing going on in
> Portland(if you have the time, id really appreciate
> a bit summary)
>  so i will pass this letter on to folks here in
> Tokyo, nojiren and others…if youre planning to post
> this i do have a couple corrections(i know we rushed
> through the whole affair, so there no real need to
> sweat the details-i can just tend to be a stickler
> at times)
> 1-  Ryosampaku is LOCATED at the center of Miyashita
> park and as far as its meaning, uh, i dunno. Its
> based on some sorta robin hood story that took place
> in a mountain called ryousan (and paku means, uh,
> “villa” loosely translated) but maybe im wrong,
> never was all that good at cultural history.
> Miyashita houses the 80 or so tents but in
> ryousampaku proper there are about only 15.
> 2-  Yamamotosan was the informative guide and,
> furthermore, HES the one fluent in Japanese(not moi)
> whereas im simply his right hand man
>
> You guys really got your work cut out for you(i was,
> yes, once again reminded just how much so through
> your letter)…im looking forward to my first amerikan
> community study on my next return to portland…say
> hey to linda and all the folks fer me!!…rayna
>
> August17, 2002
>
> Dear Villagers,
>
>     I had a most enjoyable and enlightening trip to
> Japan which included visiting five homeless camps
> (four organized) in Tokyo and Osaka, and observing
> several others from a distance in Kyoto and
> Hiroshima (small in number).   I’m including most of
> the photos—not entirely great photos—but some good
> memories.   If I can find my notes, I do have names
> for some of them, Jack—but here they are in the
> meantime—everyone in Japan will be looking to find
> themselves!  The photos are:
>
>     a)  My visit to Ougimachi Park Tent Village in
> Osaka (August 6th)—having about 30-50 tents.
>
>     b)  My visit, the same day, to Nagai Park Tent
> Village in Osaka, now down to about 15-20 tents.
>
>     c)  My visit to two tent villages in Tokyo, the
> first of which is located at Shibuya Miyashita Park
> and the village there was called Ryosampaku which
> means “center of the park.”  It had about 100 people
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

=====
"No one should question the faith of others, for no human being can judge the ways of God."

                             H.I.M. Emperor Haile Selassie I