[Hpn] Re: i want to help

Ozma sandra@asu.edu
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 21:21:54 -0700 (MST)

Andrea

I can tell from the name of your school that you are in the Phoenix area.

There are lots of established projects, and your imagination is the only thing
stopping you from coming up with something new. It might be a good idea to
volunteer with an established project for awhile so that you understand the
needs and how you could fit in. One of the best things you will learn is that
while you automatically step in where you are needed, it is not necessary to
think in terms of helping. After all you can never be equals if one person is
the helper and the other is being helped. So it is important right from the
start to look at people as equals. Then you will find that you are learning as
well. Giving is better than helping any day.

Paz de Cristo is a good place to volunteer to serve meals. La Mesita is a
family shelter; you can call them to ask what kinds of donations they
need. They will also give you a list of all the other homeless
shelters. Homebase might be a good one as they serve homeless teens. The
Pappas schools are a great place to volunteer. Call and volunteer to come to
the school with art supplies and do a project with the children. Or do the
same at La Mesita or Homebase.

I work with Floaters.org, a project that distributes old computers and teaches
people to think about how to use the computer to fill their own goals. We also
have a website where anyone can display their art.

Phoenix used to have a newspaper for street people to sell, and I miss it. If
you would be interested in starting it up again, I could get you some help.

Let me know if you have any other questions,

Sandy