[Hpn] Mentors teach basic computer skills

Morgan W. Brown norsehorse@hotmail.com
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 10:49:47 -0400

Below is a forward of an article which reports on a unique way one local
Vermont community chose to respond to help address a need some members of
the community had, through a program which was developed concerning a
favorite subject of mine. Following the forwarded article is a link to the
Web page for the entity which hosts the program.

Following that, are links to a three part series which I wrote about the
Internet, computers, many needs which some members of any given community
may have and, the need for mentoring programs to teach basic computer and
Internet skills at various levels.

Morgan <norsehorse@hotmail.com>
Morgan W. Brown
Montpelier Vermont

-------Forwarded article-------

Friday, September 28, 2001
Burlington Free Press <http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com>
[Vermont]
Local News section
Mentors teach basic computer skills
<http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/bfpnews/local/5000h.htm>

By Lindsay O'Neil
Correspondent

Pat Lilienthal knew nothing about computers or surfing the Net until last
spring.

"I didn't know how to turn a computer on, literally," she said. "I wanted to
learn, but on a one-on-one basis in a way that wasn't going to be very
costly."

So, Lilienthal enrolled in the Computer Mentoring Program, at the South
Burlington Community Library, where she received free, one-on-one weekly
lessons with a highly skilled teacher: a teen-ager.

In the program, adults who want to learn basic computer and Internet skills
are paired with technology-savvy South Burlington High School student
volunteers, said Claire Buckley, high school librarian and program
coordinator.

"A lot of older people would like to use computers, but we're hesitant to
get started. And, everyone says that kids are great on computers because
they use them all the time," she said. "It seemed like a logical tie-in to
ask high school students if they would mentor adults in learning how to use
a computer."

Last year -- the program was started in April -- about 25 adults
participated. This year, about six adults have signed up. About a dozen
students mentors will teach.

People enroll in the program to learn a variety of things, including how to
use the Internet, e-mail and word processing, Buckley said.

"Sometimes, they just need a few questions answered and so they'll come in
for a session or two. Sometimes they'll choose to come once a week for the
duration of the school year," she said.

Last spring, Lilienthal learned how to sign up for an
e-mail account, how to copy documents and how to use an Internet search
engine. Now, she's hoping to find out about word processing and how to save
files to her hard drive.

"And I want to learn about CD-roms and floppy disks," said Lilienthal, 50, a
South Burlington resident.

Don Crofut, 70, enrolled in the program to become more knowledgeable about
general computer applications.

"Right now, I'm learning about making spread sheets," said Crofut, who lives
in South Burlington. "I keep track of some financial rec- ords for an
organization. If I can, I'd like to do it on a PC."

Adults make for enthusiastic students, said Mike Bailey, 17, a computer
mentor.

"At first, I was afraid that I'd be flooding them with information. But
they'd always come in with questions, wanting to learn. We'd go over stuff,
and then they'd go home and try it out for themselves. They were good about
doing their homework," he said. "They definitely made me feel like a
teacher."

The program illustrates the importance of lifetime learning, said Kim
Nielson, 16, a student mentor.

"The adults coming in are excited about learning and the expression on their
faces when they find out how to do something is priceless," she said. "One
woman was so thrilled when she was able to get into the Internet and see a
picture of her grandson. Other people are so excited to be able to e-mail
their friends and family."

The "mentors" get just as much out of the program as their "mentees,"
Buckley said.

"This activity is just as good for the students as it is for the adults,"
she said. "Usually, teen-agers are the ones being taught. Here, they get to
experience teaching someone something. This gives them a chance to connect
with adults on a new level."

---End of forwarded article---

~~~Related Web site -- FYI:

South Burlington Community Library:

http://sbcl.sburl.k12.vt.us/

-- "The South Burlington Community Library is a combined library which
serves as both the high school library and the public library for the city
of South Burlington.  It is located in the north wing of the high school
building [ ... ]."

~~~Published columns about the Internet, computers and mentoring programs --
FYI:

* Net-Working: Revolutionizing What it Means to be Connected:

http://www.vcil.org/Advocacy/morgan1.html

-- Column by Morgan W. Brown: The Independent: A Vermont publication for
elders and people with disabilities; Summer 2000 (Vol 9, no. 3); [Part one
of a three part series]

* Wandering the Internet: Turning Online Experiences Into Journeys of
Personal Discovery:

http://www.vcil.org/Advocacy/morgan2.html

-- Column by Morgan W. Brown: The Independent: A Vermont publication for
elders and people with disabilities; October 2000 (Vol 9, no. 4); [Part two
of a three part series]

* Tooling the Web: Using the Internet to get there from here:

-- Column by Morgan W. Brown; The Independent: A Vermont publication for
elders and people with disabilities; December 2000 (Vol. 9, No. 5), Winter
Edition; Pages 19 & 20; [Part three of a three part series]

educational purposes only.**

-------End of forward-------

Morgan <norsehorse@hotmail.com>
Morgan W. Brown