[Hpn] Operation Infinite Justice *** The War Begins

Harmony Kieding worldhome@thesociety.net
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 00:46:57 -0700

Hi Bill,

Last night I was trying to do a quick recap of the last two years. Just mulling
things over and trying to get perspective for myself.

First, a highly controversial election with roughly half the nation's heart
not in it as the result of a very questionable action by the Supreme Court.

Then the first days in office. Welcome to the universally unpopular US decision
on Kyoto. Welcome to the quick about-face on any easy promises made to work
together hand-in-hand with Democrats in the spirit of bipartisanship. Welcome
to the introduction of Church and State. Welcome to the prospective rape of
the Alaskan wilderness- again, half the nation's heart not in it.

Then, all of a sudden, out of nowhere, three planes fly into buildings and a
fourth one is crashed into the ground in an obscene, deplorably evil act of
terrorism. Bin L is quickly dragged out as the culprit. A nation is in grief,
vulnerable, and in need of leadership.

And now, all of a sudden, the president gets to go to war (against the wishes
of a considerable segment of the population, not to mention many allies in Europe),
screw over the environment and our civil liberties, and have a lot of grief-stricken
people behind him demanding vengeance.
How quickly things change. Kinda makes my head spin.

Who will pay for this war? Innocent people with their lives, no doubt.... on
all sides.  And, of course, the poor people, working and/or out on the streets,
because programs to help them will be screwed over even more as military spending
gets the priority.

As Arsenio Hall would say... all this is something to go "Hmmmmmmmm" about.

"It is seldom that any liberty is lost all at once."
~ David Hume

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
-George Orwell

I wonder where Oliver Stone would take a movie on this recap. "JFK" would turn
out to be a mild romp in the hay.

Harmony

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Agora/7076/causes.html