[Hpn] America under Attack. The Homeless (and others) speak out

JReynalds@aol.com JReynalds@aol.com
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 19:19:06 EDT

--part1_2d.1137351d.28d9306a_boundary

From:  Jeremy Reynalds, Joy Junction, Alb., NM

Quite appropriately after last week's nightmare attack on America, we've bee=
n=20
warned by the experts that over-exposure to news featuring disturbing visual=
=20
images that excel horror conceived formerly only in the minds of Hollywood=20
screenwriters, can be detrimental to children.=20
   =20
    This fact was really brought home to me when my 12-year-old son asked me=
=20
if I thought that maybe we were beginning World War III.
   =20
    Other parents faced different comments and questions from their children=
.=20
Writing on an America-on-Line bulletin board, one mother related some of wha=
t=20
her four-year-old has been telling her during the last few days. According t=
o=20
this mom, her son commented "Mommy, all the people that went to God left=20
their shoes on the floor." Then he asked her, "Why didn't the plane-man turn=
=20
the wheel?  Why did he make a fire in the buildings." And then most=20
tellingly, this youngster forced to confront realities with which he was not=
=20
yet ready to deal, said "Mommy, I made a (sic) airplane from the Play-Doh bu=
t=20
I'm not gonna crash the buildings, okay?"
   =20
    And as mom continued in the same post, "Just three of the sentences that=
=20
came out of my four-year-old's mouth this week. Sentences that should never=20
have been there...visions that we should never have seen...the smell of fire=
=20
in our living room - the smoke in our sky - the constant sound of emergency=20
vehicles.  Lock- down in our schools - fear in our hearts."
   =20
    But while the viewing of this tragedy affects children in a very special=
=20
way, it also produces emotional trauma and turmoil in adults. Calvary of=20
Albuquerque Pastor Skip Heitzig summarized his feelings when he told his=20
congregation that after viewing the wall-to-wall coverage for a number of=20
hours one day last week that he felt pummeled.   =20
   =20
    I also experienced the same effect as Pastor Skip and found it necessary=
=20
to take a news break; read the Bible, pray and watch an innocuous TV drama.=20=
=20
Don't feel bad about doing the same thing. You're not being unpatriotic,=20
just making a diligent attempt to maintain your emotional and spiritual=20
well-being so that you will still be able to pray effectively for our countr=
y=20
following this awful disaster.
   =20
    And ABC News is evidently realizing that certain images are just too=20
terrifying with which to keep bombarding the American public. Just a couple=20
of days ago, according to "Broadcasting and Cable" as quoted in "The Drudge=20
Report," ABC News President David Westin said that his network would no=20
longer air any more replays of the terrorist attack on the World Trade=20
Center. According to Drudge, "Westin noted that gratuitous use of the footag=
e=20
is inappropriate."=20
   =20
   =20

    While everyone is grieving, the terrible events of September 11th are=20
affecting different people in different ways. Clinical psychologist=20
Christopher M. Peterson, PhD, told WebMD. that "there is no normal way to=20
grieve; there is unbelievable variation. Some get over it very quickly; some=
=20
never get over it. Some are very emotional; some are quiet. The advice is=20
this: there is no blueprint for getting back to normal. People should find=20
what is comfortable for them and let others find what makes them comfortable=
.=20
There is no need to chastise others for enjoying themselves."=20
   =20
    With the tragedy impacting everyone differently, how are the homeless=20
coping, many of whom have lost everything except their lives? How do they=20
feel when what is regarded as the very epitome of American success gets blow=
n=20
up before their eyes? Some residents of Joy Junction=E2=80=93New Mexico's la=
rgest=20
emergency homeless shelter-- bared their hearts.
   =20
    One shelter resident who wished to remain anonymous, said, "I have a=20
vulnerable state of mind when I remember the morning of September 11th. I=20
wonder if a bomb will explode during a major event in the future?" =20
   =20
    Another guest said, "I think the bombings of New York and the Pentagon i=
s=20
a violation  (sic) of everything America stands for. I was born in New Jerse=
y=20
and the World Trade Center was an object of fascination. I would like to see=
=20
us annihilate all of Afghanistan; all countries harboring terrorists. I thin=
k=20
this was the most cruel act in peace time, something that will never be=20
forgotten. (It reminds Americans) just how things can happen in the blink of=
=20
an eye."
   =20
    Another resident commented, "I think that the thing that happen (sic) in=
=20
New York is just a part of Bible prophecy. We can look for more things to=20
happen; like earthquakes. We cannot stop Bible prophecy."
   =20
    And despite having lost all of her physical belongings one lady=20
commented, "My heart really goes out to all the people who has (sic) lost=20
loved ones in New York. I watched the news one day and saw a lady looking fo=
r=20
her fianc=C3=A9 and I put myself in her shoes and the pain it had on me. God=
=20
Bless."
   =20
    Men were hit just as hard. One man said, "(The New York Tragedy) was a=20
shock to me and my wife. We felt the pain in our hearts. Me and my wife pray=
=20
for New York! This was a tragedy that was too close to home. We pray these=20
families find justice in their hearts and that nothing like this happens=20
again."
   =20
    So what's the answer? I am unable to say it any better than the mother o=
f=20
that little four-year-old I quoted above. She wrote that even after Septembe=
r=20
11th, " ... America is still the land of the free and the home of the brave.=
 =20
ONE nation....under GOD...INDIVISIBLE...with LIBERTY and JUSTICE for ALL."

--part1_2d.1137351d.28d9306a_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3D2>From: &nbsp;Jeremy Reynal=
ds, Joy Junction, Alb., NM
<BR>
<BR>Quite appropriately after last week's nightmare attack on America, we've=
 been warned by the experts that over-exposure to news featuring disturbing=20=
visual images that excel horror conceived formerly only in the minds of Holl=
ywood screenwriters, can be detrimental to children.=20
<BR>   =20
<BR>    This fact was really brought home to me when my 12-year-old son aske=
d me if I thought that maybe we were beginning World War III.
<BR>   =20
<BR>    Other parents faced different comments and questions from their chil=
dren. Writing on an America-on-Line bulletin board, one mother related some=20=
of what her four-year-old has been telling her during the last few days. Acc=
ording to this mom, her son commented "Mommy, all the people that went to Go=
d left their shoes on the floor." Then he asked her, "Why didn't the plane-m=
an turn the wheel? &nbsp;Why did he make a fire in the buildings." And then=20=
most tellingly, this youngster forced to confront realities with which he wa=
s not yet ready to deal, said "Mommy, I made a (sic) airplane from the Play-=
Doh but I'm not gonna crash the buildings, okay?"
<BR>   =20
<BR>    And as mom continued in the same post, "Just three of the sentences=20=
that came out of my four-year-old's mouth this week. Sentences that should n=
ever have been there...visions that we should never have seen...the smell of=
 fire in our living room - the smoke in our sky - the constant sound of emer=
gency vehicles. &nbsp;Lock- down in our schools - fear in our hearts."
<BR>   =20
<BR>    But while the viewing of this tragedy affects children in a very spe=
cial way, it also produces emotional trauma and turmoil in adults. Calvary o=
f Albuquerque Pastor Skip Heitzig summarized his feelings when he told his c=
ongregation that after viewing the wall-to-wall coverage for a number of hou=
rs one day last week that he felt pummeled. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<BR>   =20
<BR>    I also experienced the same effect as Pastor Skip and found it neces=
sary to take a news break; read the Bible, pray and watch an innocuous TV dr=
ama. &nbsp;Don't feel bad about doing the same thing. You're not being unpat=
riotic, just making a diligent attempt to maintain your emotional and spirit=
ual well-being so that you will still be able to pray effectively for our co=
untry following this awful disaster.
<BR>   =20
<BR>    And ABC News is evidently realizing that certain images are just too=
 terrifying with which to keep bombarding the American public. Just a couple=
 of days ago, according to "Broadcasting and Cable" as quoted in "The Drudge=
 Report," ABC News President David Westin said that his network would no lon=
ger air any more replays of the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center.=20=
According to Drudge, "Westin noted that gratuitous use of the footage is ina=
ppropriate."=20
<BR>   =20
<BR>   =20
<BR>
<BR>    While everyone is grieving, the terrible events of September 11th ar=
e affecting different people in different ways. Clinical psychologist Christ=
opher M. Peterson, PhD, told WebMD. that "there is no normal way to grieve;=20=
there is unbelievable variation. Some get over it very quickly; some never g=
et over it. Some are very emotional; some are quiet. The advice is this: the=
re is no blueprint for getting back to normal. People should find what is co=
mfortable for them and let others find what makes them comfortable. There is=
 no need to chastise others for enjoying themselves."=20
<BR>   =20
<BR>    With the tragedy impacting everyone differently, how are the homeles=
s coping, many of whom have lost everything except their lives? How do they=20=
feel when what is regarded as the very epitome of American success gets blow=
n up before their eyes? Some residents of Joy Junction=E2=80=93New Mexico's=20=
largest emergency homeless shelter-- bared their hearts.
<BR>   =20
<BR>    One shelter resident who wished to remain anonymous, said, "I have a=
 vulnerable state of mind when I remember the morning of September 11th. I w=
onder if a bomb will explode during a major event in the future?" =20
<BR>   =20
<BR>    Another guest said, "I think the bombings of New York and the Pentag=
on is a violation &nbsp;(sic) of everything America stands for. I was born i=
n New Jersey and the World Trade Center was an object of fascination. I woul=
d like to see us annihilate all of Afghanistan; all countries harboring terr=
orists. I think this was the most cruel act in peace time, something that wi=
ll never be forgotten. (It reminds Americans) just how things can happen in=20=
the blink of an eye."
<BR>   =20
<BR>    Another resident commented, "I think that the thing that happen (sic=
) in New York is just a part of Bible prophecy. We can look for more things=20=
to happen; like earthquakes. We cannot stop Bible prophecy."
<BR>   =20
<BR>    And despite having lost all of her physical belongings one lady comm=
ented, "My heart really goes out to all the people who has (sic) lost loved=20=
ones in New York. I watched the news one day and saw a lady looking for her=20=
fianc=C3=A9 and I put myself in her shoes and the pain it had on me. God Ble=
ss."
<BR>   =20
<BR>    Men were hit just as hard. One man said, "(The New York Tragedy) was=
 a shock to me and my wife. We felt the pain in our hearts. Me and my wife p=
ray for New York! This was a tragedy that was too close to home. We pray the=
se families find justice in their hearts and that nothing like this happens=20=
again."
<BR>   =20
<BR>    So what's the answer? I am unable to say it any better than the moth=
er of that little four-year-old I quoted above. She wrote that even after Se=
ptember 11th, " ... America is still the land of the free and the home of th=
e brave. &nbsp;ONE nation....under GOD...INDIVISIBLE...with LIBERTY and JUST=
ICE for ALL."</FONT></HTML>

--part1_2d.1137351d.28d9306a_boundary--