[Hpn] Fw: for peace, against war fever

under_the_bridgeproject@juno.com under_the_bridgeproject@juno.com
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 20:06:10 -0700

"Under the bridge isn't a place, It's a way of life some have to face.
Cold and alone outside the fortunate-cant live life, cause they can't
afford it."
- Kupchun 2001
www.geocities.com/nhutbp2001/UnderTheBridgeStreetNews.html
www.egroups.com/group/under-the-bridge

--------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Arnie Alpert <AAlpert@afsc.org>
To: aalpert@afsc.org
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 16:46:04 -0400
Subject: for peace, against war fever

TO:                  AFSC's friends in New Hampshire
SUBJECT:        Responses to the events of Sept. 11
DATE:         14 Sept. 2001

No More Victims Anywhere

Friends:

Adding to the distress we feel for the senseless killings which took
place
Tuesday is the distress we feel from the war fever at large in the land.
While many religious and community leaders are encouraging Americans to
turn
away from vengeance and toward healing, many political leaders are
calling
for war, retaliation, and curtailment of democratic norms.

The NH Office of AFSC has several recommendations at this time:

1.  Please contact NH's Congressional delegation IMMEDIATELY to urge them
NOT to grant broad war powers to President Bush.  Please refer to the
excellent alert, which follows, from the Friends Committee on National
Legislation.

2.  Please organize or join in vigils, interfaith services, and other
events
which emphasize peace-making.

3.  Be vigilant for expressions of hatred and violence toward Arabs, Arab
Americans, Muslims, and others who appear to be "foreign."  The hatred
represented by Tuesday's violence must not be allowed to spread in our
own
communities.

4.  The mass media can be a force for good or ill at a time like this.
Use
the letters-to-the-editor section of your local newspaper, and radio
call-in
shows to spread the message, "No More Victims Anywhere."

5.  AFSC has started a "No More Victims" Fund, to support victims and
survivors of Tuesday's tragedies.  Earmarked donations can be sent to any
AFSC office.  Visit AFSC's web site, http://www.afsc.org, for more
information on AFSC's response.

6.  While we condemn Tuesday's attacks without reservation, we must also
turn attention to the legitimate grievances that people have with the
policies of the U.S. government.  Only by bringing our own nation into
conformity with the needs of justice and the rule of law can we help to
establish security, peace, and justice for all.

7.  AFSC will be meeting with like-minded groups early next week.  We'll
let
you know what additional ideas we have.

For justice, peace, and healing,
Arnie Alpert
American Friends Service Committee
NH Office
(603) 224-2407
aalpert@afsc.org

FRIENDS COMMITTEE ON NATIONAL LEGISLATION

Legislative Advisory on S.J. Res. 23, "Authorization for Use of Military
Force" September 14, 2001, 2:45 p.m. EDT

The House is now considering a resolution (S.J. Res. 23) to authorize the
use of U.S. armed forces to retaliate for the attacks on the U.S. earlier
this week.  It contains the following very troubling provision:

"Section 2. (A) That the President is authorized to use all necessary and
appropriate force against nations, organizations, or persons he
determines
planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that
occurred
on September 11, 2001, or harbored such organizations or persons, in
order
to prevent any future acts of international terrorism against the United
States by such nations, organizations or persons."

We at the Friends Committee on National Legislation (FCNL) believe that
this provision would give far too broad an authority to the President and
future presidents.  We raise the following concerns:

*  Should not Congress retain the authority to determine where and with
whom
the United States military forces shall go to war?

*  Would this permit the President to send U.S. military forces into any
sovereign country where the President has identified co-conspirators?
For
example, if an organization was found to be harbored in Toronto, Canada,
and
Canada did not accede to demands to take specific actions demanded by the
U.S., is the President authorized to send in U.S. troops anyway?  How
will
other countries--U.S. allies and foes alike--respond to this
extra-territorial extension of U.S. law and war powers?

*  How will the President determine who poses a future risk of attack?
Will
the search for potential enemies include monitoring the activities of all
who dissent?  What are the safeguards to protect the rights of assembly
and
free speech of individuals and organizations that may oppose the policies
of
the present or future administrations?

*  Congress is extending this authority to the President permanently.
What
checks on Presidential authority should Congress retain?

We at FCNL believe that war and vengeance are not the answer to the
horror
and violence of these attacks.  War, destruction, and hatred between
peoples
are what the perpetrators of these heinous crimes apparently seek. The
U.S.
should not give them what they want.  If the U.S. declares war, the
hijackers and their supporters will have won.

This is not a time for precipitous military action.  Rather, it is a time
for quick action by U.S. law enforcement agencies and close cooperation
with
governments around the world to identify and capture those who aided and
abetted in the commission of these atrocities, and to bring them to
justice
before a court of law.  The United States must not stoop to the level of
violence, vengeance, and hatred exhibited by those who carried out this
week's heinous attacks against innocent civilians.

Friends Committee on National Legislation (Quakers) 245 Second Street,
N.E.
Washington, D.C.  20002-5795 Tel: (202) 547-6000 Fax: (202) 547-6019 Web
site: www.fcnl.org

NH Congressional Offices:

Senator Judd Gregg
tel - 202.224.3324        fax - 202.224.4952         e-mail
<mailbox@gregg.senate.gov>

Senator Bob Smith
tel - 202.224.2841        fax - 202.224.1353        e-mail
<opinion@smith.senate.gov>

Representative Charles Bass
tel - 202.225.5206        fax - 202.225.2946        e-mail
<cbass@mail.house.gov>

Representative John Sununu
tel - 202.225.5456        fax - 202.225.5822        e-mail
<rep.sununu@mail.house.gov>