[Hpn] <FW:>to help our friends

旅浪人JILL 旅浪人JILL"
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 22:45:02 +0900

----Original Message Follows----

Dear friends,

Warm greeting from LOCOA !
Thank you for your concern and support for India
people that you were participate signature campaign to
stop eviction by local government in the India.
We estimate around 400 organization sent email to
local government. And local government changed their
email address and tries to dialog with NGO.
Your concerning can to make change our situation as
like that.

Recently we received very bad news from Indonesia. And
LOCOA had meeting on last Friday and decided to do our
best support for our friends and people whom suffering
by Jakarta local government.

We need your concern and support on it.

Na, Hyo-Woo

P.s : I'm very sorry to send you by Cc, because I have
to sent this letter around 800 organization which are
link with LOCOA network.

News from Whardah
Dear friends,
Thank you for your concern and support for our
struggle here. Our great appreciations to Ted Anana,
Hosaka san, Fides Bagasao, and others who have done a
lot of things to help.

The violent eviction and confiscation of the means of
production of the urban poor continues to happen until
today. Yesterday, August 5, 2001, at 05.00 a.m. a
becak driver was gang attacked by the municipality
police because he alerted others of their coming and
defended his becak. He got severe concussion with a
deep 10 cm cut on his head and the back of his neck.
Before he was unconscious he was dragged to the car,
was kicked and beaten. He got his consciousness back
after 10 hours and is now hospitalized. The following
is an update of data up to today, August 6, 2001.

A notice has been circulated by the municipalities of
west, east, south, north and central Jakarta about
plans of demolition and eviction of the urban poor
economic activities and settlements. The deadline
given for Jakarta to be clean from urban poor
settlements and economic activities is the end of this
month, November at the latest.

The upc is organising a public kitchen, both for
humanity and political reasons, starting Monday,
September 12. We mobilize donations from any sources
(institutions, restaurants and individuals), and women
from the poor communities will cook the food while
becak drivers and the others will distribute it. We
plan to distribute 1000 lunch boxes everyday. We put
up a 20x20 m banner in the main road of Jakarta this
morning calling for solidarity of the Jakarta
inhabitants and reporting the casulaties as well. We
also continue to lobby ministers, although their
reactions were more disheartening than give hope ahile
attempts to get access to the president has not shown
any success so far. There is hope, though, that this
calamity will unite the urban poor together, and that
it is a good a momentum for them to be more organized.

Just a little correction: the name of the Jakarta
Governor is Sutyoso, not Piet Tallo.

In solidarity
wardah hafidz

Update of State Violence against the urban poor of
Jakarta, 1 - 6 September 2001

- Becak (pedicab)
Number of becak confiscated by area up to 6 Sept
- Central Jakarta        311
- North Jakarta          321
- West Jakarta           553
- East Jakarta           752
   Total                  1.937 becaks

- Insidence of violence
Wednesday, 5 Sept. 2001, a confiscation operation was
underway in Teluk Gong, North Jakarta at 05.30 a.m. A
becak driver, Agus Samsudin who alerted his friends by
beating the lamp post was being gang attacked by
around 20 municipality police armed with knife, stick,
and sword. He got severe concussion, was unconscious
for around 10 hours, and the back of his head was
deeply cut for around 10 cm long.He is now
hospitalized.

- Other casualties: demolation and confiscation
604 sidestreet food stalls
253 street vendors
25 car wash services

- Arrest
435 street sex workers
465 beggers and homeless
  27 difabled
  93 street children
318 informal "traffic policemen"
247 street musicians
386 other street workers

- Demolition of poor communities
716 sacks/houses

Sources: urban poor consortium (primary data: reports
from casualties and field data collection; clippings)

Chronology of events of state violence, year 2001

27 November 2000 - 16 January 2001:
51 operation days (evictions,
demolitions,confiscations, arrest)

victim (vendors, street children, pedicab, etc):
west jakarta: 1503 people
central jkt : 1237 people
south jkt   : 9297 people
east jkt    : 8813 people
Total         20.850 people

Isidents of retaliation by the people: 4

April 2001

- 20 operation days; personnel deployed: 2800
- Victims: 17.305 people (categories as above:
     central jakarta:    2.172 people
     north jakarta  :    3.369 people
     west jakarta   :    4.720 people
     south jakarta  :    4.954 people
     east jakarta   :    2.090 people

Isidents of retaliation by the people: 3

8 - 29 August 2001

Operation: every day, not only during day time but
also midnight to dawn

8 August2001:
- Eviction and demolition happened in East Jakarta
from 11.00 - 04.00 p.m..
- personnel deployed: 1000, armed with tear gas,
buldozer, trucks, vans
- Victims: 200 food stalls, 30 car wash, and tire
repair stall

13 August 2001, 11.00 p.m.:
- Pedicab confiscation in Central Jakarta
- personnel deployed: 300; 50 vans, 5 trucks,
- Victims: 203 pedicabs confiscated; 1 driver was
arrested and tortured

13 August, 10.00 p.m. - 04 p.m.
- Eviction, demolition and confiscation in East
Jakarta
- personnel deployed: 500 with 20 pick-ups, 10 trucks,
1 buldozer
- victims: 30 garbage collectors workshops; 200
pedicabs

August 14, 09.00 a.m. - 2.00 p.m.

Roxy Insident: a retaliation by the urban poor
(pedicab drivers, street
vendors, childern and others). One municipality guard
died, 1 badly injured,
some cars and trucks burnt.

Six students from Bonn University,  who were guests of
the UPC and were
visiting a poor community in Central Jakarta,1 upc
activist and 1 community
leader were arrested by the police. They were accused
of being involved in the
Roxy incident. They were being detained and questioned
for 20 hours, were
released the next day.

19-29 August 2001
Operations continues to happen in all parts of
Jakarta, confiscating almost one
thousand pedicabs. Some small incidents happened here
and there.

Now thousands of people do not have job to earn money
from and are terrorized.

--
Urban Poor Consortium - Konsorsium Kemiskinan Kota
Billy Moon Blok H-I/7 Jakarta 13450, Phone/Fax:

=====
LOCOA
  Leaders and Organizers of Community Organization in Asia
  80-A, Malakas Street, Brgy Pinyahan, 1100 Quezon City,
  Philippines
  Tel: (632) 925-8432,426-4118      Fax :(632) 426-4132
  E-mail: locoa2000@yahoo.com       http://www.locoa.net
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

 @ Association of Poor people in Nagai-Park                 _/
    (Nagai-Kouen-Nakama-no-Kai)

   1 Nagai-kouen, higashi sumiyoshi-ku, osaka-shi    _/
     NAGAI-KOUEN Tent Village                          _/
                                                                  _/
/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

      Vi venkos!! Ni venkos!!
 We're NOT DUST, we shall NOT BE MOVED !!
 Instead of THEIR VIOLENCE,
  we must try to GET OUR MUTUAL-AID SOCIETIES
   all over the world.
    No thanks to olympic, no thanks to monopolization.
     Food! Work!
      Free-humanities & Human-dignities for ALL !!

 E-mail*) nojuku_nagai@geocities.co.jp
 E-mail ') nagai_nojuku@nakamanokai.freeservers.com

  *CAUTION!!* Our Address changed.

 URL*) http://www.geocities.co.jp/WallStreet-Bull/8932/