[Hpn] CORPORATE MEDIA IS MISLEADING THE PUBLIC INTO WAR!!! -- FWD from Bay Area Activist list

Fri, 14 Sep 2001 12:59:47 -0700

Message: 15
   Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 04:42:09 EDT
   From: Kravitz4me@aol.com
Subject: CNN story-- THIS IS INCREDIBLE

Story from the www.indymedia.org:8081 newswire

>Article by: Marcio
>Wednesday 12 Sep 2001
>
>Reference at indymedia website:
>http://www.indymedia.org:8081//front.php3?article_id=63288
>
>Article:
>I\'d like to add some ideas from here, down south.
>
>There\'s an important point in the power of press, specifically the power
>of CNN.
>
>All around the world we are subjected to 3 or 4 huge news distributors,
>and one of them - as you well know - is CNN. Very well, I guess all of
>you have been seeing (just as I\'ve been) images from this company. In
>particular, one set of images called my attencion: the Palestinians
>celebrating the bombing, out on the streets, eating some cake and making
>funny faces for the camera.
>
>Well, THOSE IMAGES WERE SHOT BACK IN 1991!!! Those are images of
>Palestinians celebrating the invasion of Kuwait! It\'s simply
>unacceptable that a super-power of cumminications as CNN uses images
>which do not correspond to the reality in talking about so serious an
>issue.
>
>A teacher of mine, here in Brazil, has videotapes recorded in 1991, with
>the very same images; he\'s been sending emails to CNN, Globo (the major
>TV network in Brazil) and newspapers, denouncing what I myself classify
>as a crime against the public opinion. If anyone of you has access to
>this kind of files, serch for it. In the meanwhile, I\'ll try to \'put my
>hands\' on a copy of this tape.
>
>But now, think for a moment about the impact of such images. Your people
>is hurt, emotionally fragile, and this kind broadcast have very high
>possibility of causing waves of anger and rage against Palestinians.
>It\'s simply irresponsible to show images such as those.
>
>Finally, I\'d like to say that we all regret and condemn all that has
>happened in the last days; but Nikos has a point here. I really don\'t
>want to be misunderstood here, but the truth is that US government had
>shown no respect for other countries in the last decades. In the 60s and
>70s they had halped lots of military coups throughout the world
>(including Brazil in 64). Later, with Reagan and Bush Father, the
>Washington Consensus have been demolishing the bases of our economies,
>making us more and more dependant (and, many of us, prehocupied with
>this situation).
>
>Your current president quickly made things worse: Kioto Protocol, Star
>Wars, Colombia Plan, the exchange of rain forest for pieces of external
>debt, tha abandonment of the position of third party in negotiations
>between IRA and England, and between Palestinians and Israel. All those
>mistakes in US external politics made your country more hatred than
>before, and, of course, more vulnerable.
>
>Listen, I\'m NOT justifying the terrorist actions that took place in your
>country; but it seems to me that, if your leaders had come along another
> [...]

Message: 16
   Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 01:45:02 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Oliver Luby <oliverlear@yahoo.com>
Subject: Please Read and Forward

Friends,

An old friend told me earlier today that he narrowly
missed death in the WTC. I haven't heard from everyone
I care about and I'm so scared that someone close to
them (or to me) has been hurt.

Also, I am very afraid that our nation will soon
launch an incredible onslaught of violence, in which
thousands of innocents will die just as they did on
Tuesday.  The media is fanning the flames of war and I
urge critical reflection.

Please consider the following:

1. Evidence that the feds were previously aware of the
danger:

  A.
"Did Osama bin-Laden outwit US intelligence agencies
in a deadly game of decoy or double bluff?
CounterPunch has learned from two sources that a)
three weeks before the attack of September 11 security
at the World Trade Center was abruptly heightened and
that b) six weeks before the attack a US army base in
New Jersey was placed on top security alert.
As regards the heightened security at the Trade
Center, we are told that according to a businessman
working in World Trade Building number 7 (the 41-story
structure that collapsed after having been evacuated)
"security was heightened three weeks ago, including
the introduction for the first time of sniffer dogs
and the physical search of all trucks prior to their
being waved into the entrance from the street.
The US army base in New Jersey is the Arsenal at
Picatinny. Our informant says that at the start of
July the Arsenal was placed at a very state of alert,
with some staff locked in their offices for a period.
Set this information against the fact that Osama bin
Laden, now prime suspect, said in an interview three
weeks ago with Abdel-Bari Atwan, the editor of the
London-based al-Quds al-Arabi newspaper, that he
planned "very, very big attacks against American
interests.""

  B.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/09/12
/MN229389.DTL
  Mayor Brown of SanFran got low key warning about air
travel on Monday, 9/10/01!

2. Blind retaliation will only lead to greater
terrorism and war.
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world
blind." -Gandhi

A.
http://www.counterpunch.org/chomskybomb.html
or
http://www.zmag.org/chomnote.htm
Noam Chomsky on stopping the hate

B.
http://www.zmag.org/fiskawecalam.htm
The awesome cruelty of a doomed people

C.
A Message from the Global South

D.
http://www.michaelmoore.com/2001_0912.html

E.
http://www.zmag.org/brccalam.htm
Black Radical Congress Statements

F.
http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=11487
Understanding Osama bin Laden

Generally, see
http://www.commondreams.org.
http://www.zmag.org
http://www.thenation.com

3. Stand up to the reactionary racism against Arab
Americans (and those that even look like them).

A.
http://www.counterpunch.com/
[soon to be archived]
“Least credible news footage
CNN's videotape of Palestinians supposedly dancing in
the streets of a West Bank town. CounterPuncher Marcio
A.V. Carvalho at the state university of Campinas in
Brazil tells us that he and his colleagues had
compared this tape with one from 1991 showing
Palestinian cheering, and found them to be identical.”

Assuming that Palestinians were cheering, are we sure
that they are the only misguided people cheering about
this tragedy?; why not Columbians, Serbians, Grecians,
Japanese, (even U.S. citizens) etc. etc.

B.
Look at the large numbers of reports already coming in
of racist violence and animosity towards Arab
Americans: a mosque bombed on the east coast,
beatings, slurs, threats...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A20953-2001Sep12.html
http://www.cbsnews.com/now/story/0,1597,310989-412,00.shtml

Don’t forget: Arafat donated blood for the victims of
this tragedy (PR, yes, but a good gesture; we all
should); Arab governments are condemning the attacks;
Castro offered his airports to diverted traffic on
Tuesday the 11th. The list goes on and on.  When the
world reaches out to us, we must act with the world
(not unilaterally) in seeking justice and the justice
must be precise.

4. Be selective about your mainstream media intake.

The tv has a lot of garbage on it.  I saw a man on the
tv today SMILING and remarking about the awesome wave
of hate sweeping America. Is this Orson Wells’ '1984'?
 Howard Stern and many websites are calling for nukes
against various countries! Stop the hate. Process the
pain of this so that we do not act soley out of
passion.  Think with your brain. If you must go
mainstream, check out the BBC, the SF Chronicle, the
Oakland Tribune, etc. etc.
DON'T RELY ON THE TV!

There are already solidarity/sympathy demonstrations
all over the country and the world. Stay tuned for
mass demonstrations for peace.

peace, love, and safety to you all,
Oliver

Message: 17