[Hpn] HOUSING THE HOMELESS IN ANCIENT GREECE. (fwd)

Joseph Reynolds reynolds@webmail.pe.net
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 16:13:58 1

 Hi, just in case anybody thought anything is new I'm sending this out. I'd like to research this somemore maybe do a short paper on this. Know of any references or classical data mines online or off? The reference to "hetairai" makes me wonder. It isn't just a reference to sacred (or propane) prostitutes. The poet -arrgh I just forgot her name! (my stupid trick brain knew it a second ago!) - of the Island of Lesbos sometimes called Bilitis (What the heck was her name!) was one. "Hetairai" not only were holy prostitutes but could also be teachers. "Pornography" literally meant the writings of prostitutes - which could be political in nature.
 Different world than ours, I guess!
 That all this has some relevance to homelessness is a bit of a surprise, that the ancients didn't handle it any better than us is food for thought.
 Somewhere along the line I will have to get a copy of this article.
     Zen hugs, Joe
-=-=-= Forwarded message follows -=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Date: 12-SEP-2001 18:49:44
From: Mailer-Daemon@epub.med.iacnet.com
To: reynolds@webmail.pe.net
Subject: HOUSING THE HOMELESS IN ANCIENT GREECE.

InfoTrac Web: InfoTrac OneFile.

   Source:  American Journal of Archaeology, April 2001 v105 i2 p278.

    Title:  HOUSING THE HOMELESS IN ANCIENT GREECE.
   Author:  Bradley A. Ault

 Author's Abstract: COPYRIGHT 2001 Archaeological Institute of America

In the recently more prominent but not exactly burgeoning field of Greek
domestic studies, most of the households considered have belonged to those of
the relatively prosperous "middling" class. Still, the less advantaged have
always occupied the margins of civilization, contributing to a significant
feature of the social landscape. Who were the potentially homeless in the
Greek polis? That is the first question I take up. They could comprise the
"dependent" poor, slaves, for example, as well as the "independent" poor.
Their ranks could even include the not so poor, hetairai, for example. They
could be foreign as well as native and free born, but whose economic
circumstances rendered them lacking the means for house or land ownership.
Where did they live, then, and can traces of their habitations be identified
in the archaeological record? These are the second and third issues I address
by looking at comparative evidence for the poor in other societies (including
our own), and making an examination of architectural evidence from several
polls sites in order to identify potential residences of their nonpropertied
inhabitants. These include multiple, or rental, dwellings (sunoikia), hostels
(katagogia), brothels (porneia), and small domestic structures generally,
which may well have been the residences of those who stood outside the sphere
of the traditional citizen family. While many of these individuals were
disenfranchised from the benefits conferred by citizenship, at the same time
they played important roles at all levels of ancient society.

 Subjects:  Greece - History
            Homelessness - Greece
            Civilization, Ancient - Greece
            Dwellings - Greece