[Hpn] Homeless man becomes McDonald's millionaire

Tue, 04 Sep 2001 09:21:53 -0700

Homeless man becomes McDonald's millionaire

HOLLY HILL, Florida (AP) -- A former homeless day laborer had a very happy
meal at a McDonald's over the weekend when he was randomly picked to get a
$1 million prize.

McDonald's corporate managers awarded Patrick Collier with the prize they
said was randomly given out as part of the restaurant chain's effort to
restore consumer confidence in its sweepstakes promotions.

Managers approached Collier, 35, and his fiancee, 29-year-old Sandi Fabian,
as they sat down just after 10 a.m. on Saturday to have breakfast.

"I thought I had done something wrong, but I was confused when they handed
me this certificate telling me I had won a million dollars," Collier said.

Collier and Fabian had been frequenting the restaurant for about six weeks
and lived across the street in a hotel room they shared with Collier's
mother. Just months ago, they were homeless, sleeping on cardboard boxes and
earning $50 a day as laborers when they could find work.

McDonald's said the restaurant in Holly Hill, about five miles north of
Daytona Beach, was one of five selected at random to distribute five $1
million grand prizes. Fifty people will also be given $100,000 awards during
the giveaway.

McDonald's announced the promotion in the wake of an FBI investigation last
month, which found that an employee of a marketing company contracted to run
McDonald's Monopoly game allegedly stole more than $13 million in winnings.

Nancy Izquierdo, a McDonald's spokeswoman, said team members choose someone
to receive the prize without any criteria.

"It's just a matter of being in the right place at the right time," she said
Sunday.

Collier said he already has super-sized plans for the money.

Copyright 2001 The Associated Press

 Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/09/03/mcdonald.millionaire.ap/index.html

--