[Hpn] Officials split over videotape of homeless;Framingham, MA;10/30/01

Morgan W. Brown norsehorse@hotmail.com
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 12:17:04 -0500

-------Forwarded article-------

Tuesday, October 30, 2001
Boston Globe <http://www.boston.com/globe>
[Massachusetts]
Globe West section
Framingham
Page B2
Officials split over videotape of homeless
<http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/303/west/Officials_split_over_videotape_of_homeless+.shtml>

Board chairman allows viewing, but not at meeting

By Thanassis Cambanis, Globe Staff Correspondent, 10/30/2001

In a move they believe will galvanize opposition to a downtown homeless
shelter, neighborhood activists led by Selectwoman Ginger Esty won the right
yesterday to play at a public meeting police surveillance tapes that
apparently depict shelter residents drinking and urinating in public.

Esty said she wanted to show the videotapes during Thursday night's
Framingham Board of Selectmen meeting, when the South Middlesex Opportunity
Council will respond to neighborhood complaints that the overflow shelter it
operates on Columbia Street is poorly managed and has caused a nuisance in
the area.

''I want the public to see what is actually happening in the downtown, to
know the extent of the problems people are trying to live with,'' Esty said.

The overflow shelter has operated at its present location for more than a
year and is the only area facility that admits intoxicated people. Neighbors
have complained that homeless people gather outside the shelter and disturb
other residents, especially inhabitants of an apartment complex for the
elderly across the street.

John Kahn, chairman of the Board of Selectmen, who has a rocky relationship
with Esty, would not authorize the showing of police tapes during Thursday's
meeting. ''It's probably not appropriate for prime time,'' Kahn said.
''Everyone agrees there's a problem at the shelter. I don't know if we need
action shots.''

Instead, Kahn yesterday afternoon scheduled a public viewing of the tapes
for 4 p.m. Thursday in Town Hall.

The tape, according to people who have viewed it, was shot from a residence
near the shelter and shows people loitering outside the shelter, urinating
near a dumpster, and drinking what appear to be alcoholic beverages.

If the surveillance tapes contain unsavory scenes, Esty said, public access
television could censor its routine broadcast of the selectmen's meeting.

Jim Cuddy, executive director of the South Middlesex Opportunity Council,
acknowledged that neighbors had raised valid complaints about safety in the
vicinity of the shelter.

''We're seeing more homeless people than we've ever seen before, and we
really believe that we need to provide this community service,'' Cuddy said.

The agency has removed the dumpster on the Columbia Road property, Cuddy
said, and has told police that it will work to exclude from the shelter any
individual specifically identified as a public nuisance.

''I honestly don't know how showing the tape would enhance the dialogue
about how to meet a community crisis,'' he added.

Kahn's decision to set up a surveillance tape screening came after a series
of seven e-mails exchanged from Thursday to Sunday between Esty and Kahn,
copied to all four selectmen, about the homeless shelter hearing.

In a memorandum to all four members of the board dated Oct. 25, Kahn
proposed allowing critics and supporters of the shelter to speak during
Thursday's public hearing.

Esty accused Kahn of giving the South Middlesex Opportunity Council too wide
a scope to discuss its entire social services programming, rather than
respond to the specific safety complaints leveled against the shelter on
Columbia Road.

''This subject is on the agenda at my request and I do not approve of any
attempts to dilute the earnest requests for help from the taxpayers in that
neighborhood,'' Esty wrote in an Oct. 27 e-mail.

Finally, on Sunday in her third e-mail on subject, Esty said she was
''uneasy'' because the e-mails ''seem to be skirting close to open meeting
law violations.''

The next day Kahn put the entire e-mail correspondence in town files as a
public record. ''Anyone who wants to see them can see them,'' Kahn said.

According to open meetings guidelines issued by the Middlesex district
attorney, government officials may use e-mail to communicate about
housekeeping matters like scheduling meetings or placing matters on an
agenda. But the guidelines warn that e-mail conversations about public
business among a quorum of board members violate the Open Meeting Law.

E-mail use by government officials ''carries a high risk of violating the
law,'' the district attorney's guidelines say, ''and are best avoided except
for matters of a purely housekeeping or administrative nature.''

Thanassis Cambanis can be reached at 508-820-4233 or
tcambanis@globe.com.

This story ran on page B2 of the Boston Globe on 10/30/2001.

educational purposes only.**

-------End of forward-------

Morgan <norsehorse@hotmail.com>
Morgan W. Brown