[Hpn] Winter harsh for homeless:Organizations stocking up ... as cold weather nears

Morgan W. Brown norsehorse@hotmail.com
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 15:55:10 -0400

-------Forwarded article-------

Monday, October 22, 2001
Lawrence Journal-World <http://www.ljworld.com>
[Lawrence, Kansas]
City/Local News
Winter harsh for homeless
<http://www.ljworld.com/section/citynews/story/70696>

Organizations stocking up on warm clothing, blankets as cold weather nears

By Joel Mathis
Monday, October 22, 2001

--[Photo caption]
Richard Gwin/Journal World Photo
Tami Clark, who serves as director of the community drop-in center at 214 W.
10th St., stocks the shelves for the upcoming winter months.
--[End of photo caption]

The bitter winter of 2000-2001 taught a lesson to those who run the
Community Drop-In Center.

"There's something," said board member Dan Gardner, "about clean, dry
socks."

Too many homeless people, he said, walk around Lawrence during the winter
miserable in cold, wet socks.

"It's one thing we don't get donations of very often," said Tami Clark, the
center's director. "When we get them, they're gone in minutes."

The organizations that serve Lawrence's homeless population are thinking
about socks  as well as blankets, gloves, coffee and other items  as the
weather turns cooler and winter lurks around the corner.

With overnight temperatures dropping regularly into the 30s, officials say,
a greater number of homeless people are trying to find ways to come in from
the cold.

"We're seeing people longer, staying in out of the cold," said Clark, whose
organization is open weekday mornings.

People who don't normally use services for the homeless change their minds
when the temperature drops.

"We have people who have been camping out for weeks that we're starting to
see again," Gardner said.

The Salvation Army, which runs a seasonal overnight shelter at 946 N.H., is
already seeing more than 40 people a night. Capt. Kirk Schuetz said that
started even before the temperature dropped.

"The shelter's been so full," Schuetz said. "People want to get out of the
weather anyway."

Billy Collette, who runs the Lawrence Interdenominational Nutritional
Kitchen, said LINK has been busier than ever, serving more than 110 people
at every meal. Cool weather is starting to make a difference.

"People come in earlier, and they leave later," he said. "And they drink
lots more coffee."

So officials are preparing for winter.

"We stock up on blankets during the summer and fall," Clark said. "Now that
it's getting cooler, people need blankets, sleeping bags, coats, gloves and
hats."

Schuetz said the shelter can use blankets, underwear (including children's
sizes) and sweats for people to wear while washing their clothes.

Collette said LINK can always use food donations.

"In the wintertime, appetites build," he said. "So we need more food."

--[Informational sidebar]
Lawrence organizations that help the needy
 Community Drop-In Center, 214 W. 10th St., 832-8864.
 Lawrence Interdenomination Nutritional Kitchen, 221 W. 10th St., 331-3663.
 The Salvation Army, 946 N.H., 843-4188.
--[End of sidebar]

educational purposes only.**

-------End of forward-------