[Hpn] New advocacy group to pressure Portland on homeless;Portland, Maine;10/16/01

Morgan W. Brown norsehorse@hotmail.com
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 10:26:20 -0400

-------Forwarded article-------

Tuesday, October 16, 2001
Portland Press Herald <http://www.portland.com>
[Portland <http://www.ci.portland.me.us>, Maine]
Local News section
New advocacy group to pressure Portland on homeless
<http://www.portland.com/news/local/011016homeless.shtml>

Staff report

A new advocacy group for the poor and homeless in Portland plans to protest
Thursday on the steps of City Hall.

Portland Organization to Win Economic Rights, or POWER, hopes to pressure
the community and city leaders to provide access to housing, health care,
jobs and education, according to its organizers. The protest comes weeks
after the number of homeless exceeded the capacity of Portland's emergency
shelters for the first time in 12 years.

"This is just October and we're already turning people away. What is going
to happen in the dead of winter?" said Karen Evans, a longtime advocate for
the poor in Portland and an organizer of the new group. "We are our
brothers' keeper."

Along with adding more shelter space, organizers say it's time to declare a
housing emergency and freeze rents while building thousands of new
apartments.

POWER is likely to get a mixed reception at City Hall.

City officials said they are already focusing aggressively on homelessness
and other issues, although they welcome more public awareness. Case workers
moved more than 40 people out of the Oxford Street homeless shelter into
apartments and rooming houses in the past two weeks, and the city will have
overflow space ready by this weekend in case the shelters overflow again,
said Gerald R. Cayer, Portland's director of health and human services.

"It's sort of ironic that a protest will be held on the steps of City Hall
in the one community that's really made a legitimate effort to help with
homelessness," Cayer said. "If it's another opportunity to educate the
community and the state about the issues of homelessness, then I welcome
it."

POWER's debut coincides with the emergence of the Portland Tenants Union, a
mixed-income group that hopes to promote the rights of renters in a housing
market that gives individuals little clout. The tenants union's first public
event is Oct. 23: a panel discussion on rent control at 7 p.m. in King
Middle School.

POWER, which is largely made up of low-income Portland residents, clearly
hopes to draw attention to the needs of the poor with a more aggressive
approach.

A group of residents created POWER in the past few months after a visit to
Portland by members of the Kensington Welfare Rights Union. The anti-poverty
group from Philadelphia has fought for affordable housing with various
protests, including "tent city" sleep-ins at government buildings such as
the state capital.

Similar groups of activists for the poor have formed in cities around the
country in response to welfare reforms in the 1990s, the lack of affordable
housing, and the growing populations of poor and homeless.

POWER's planned protest is reminiscent of Portland's own tent city in 1987,
when homeless residents protested the lack of emergency shelters by camping
out on the steps of City Hall and in nearby Lincoln Park. That prolonged
protest led to the creation of the city's Oxford Street homeless shelter,
which expanded several times over the years until finally hitting its
capacity of 154 people several days last month.

"We're going back to where we went in 1987," said Evans, who helped organize
that protest, too. Evans is the founder of the Wayside Soup Kitchen and a
former shelter operator who also works to improve services for the mentally
ill.

Another organizer of the group is David Wagner, a professor of social work
and sociology at the University of Southern Maine and the author of
"Checkerboard Square," a book about homelessness in Portland.

"It really has been about a decade since there was really the presence of an
activist low-income organization," he said. "And my opinion is that's sorely
lacking."

Homelessness and poverty are still growing problems, once again testing the
community's resolve, Evans and Wagner said.

"We have a situation that most people would agree in Portland is
intolerable, particularly for the lower-income half of the population. We
need some sort of radical action," Wagner said. "We don't believe the city
or landlords or anyone has taken this very seriously."

Staff Writer John Richardson can be contacted at 791-6324 or at:
jrichardson@pressherald.com

educational purposes only.**

-------End of forward-------

Morgan <norsehorse@hotmail.com>