[Hpn] Street people showing their true colors;Boston Globe;10/14/01

Morgan W. Brown norsehorse@hotmail.com
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 19:49:09 -0400

Note: Recipient list undisclosed

-------Forwarded article-------

Sunday, October 14, 2001
Boston Globe <http://www.boston.com/globe>
[Massachusetts]
City Weekly section
Cambridge
Street people showing their true colors
<http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/287/city/Street_people_showing_their_true_colors+.shtml>

By Ric Kahn, Globe Staff, 10/14/2001

They began with open palms.

Then, street people began using cups to catch the money they solicited. Next
came signs - HOMELESS AND HUNGRY.

Now, some street stemmers are adding red-white-and-blue items to their
repertoire.

One such patriotic panhandler is a 31-year-old homeless woman who prefers to
use one of her street names, Mary.

Mary started sporting an American flag sticker about a week after the Sept.
11 terrorist attacks. With the help of a taller man, she removed it from a
subway wall, and slapped it on her plastic cadging cup.

`'I'm proud to be an American,'' she said last week from her longtime
Harvard Square perch on Massachusetts Avenue near Holyoke Street.

Mary also believed her show of solidarity might translate into spare change.

''I figured everybody would notice,'' she said from beneath a black fleece
hood.

Mary said she has experienced a slight bump in donations since the sticker
showed up to go with her cardboard sign, which describes her state as
''Homeless and Sober,'' and blesses those who contribute.

However, she declined to reveal any of her economic indicators, including
how much she makes a day or how long she sits on her milk crates at her
spot.

''Too long,'' she said.

In Central Square, another homeless man, Everett Goss, 34, sat splayed on
the sidewalk: long blonde hair, gray tweed sport coat, green sweatpants, and
his symbolic socks - the white ones with red-and-blue Champion logo.

Goss said a guy from MIT gave them to him after Sept. 11, and he has worn
them every day since.

Goss said he noticed that while some people still harped on him to get a
job, others praised his sartorial display.

''People understand that I'm a patriot,'' he said, proudly tugging at his
socks, which he wears high.

He figures he's made an additional $20 a day since he donned them, up to
$150 for eight hours on the street, which he said he spends on cigarettes,
Burger King, beer, and other substances.

Goss said he's thinking of expanding his wardrobe.

''I should have a shirt with a flag,'' he said, smoking a Newport to its
nub. ''Maybe someone will give it to me.''

This story ran on page 6 of the Boston Globe's City Weekly section on
10/14/2001.

educational purposes only.**

-------End of forward-------

Morgan <norsehorse@hotmail.com>