[Hpn] Fwd: Come to Toronto for O16!

Graeme Bacque gbacque@netzero.net
Sat, 06 Oct 2001 13:40:08 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_gATZKWW+Gxs4RTM0+pJtdQ)

------------forwarded message------------
From: Lysander Zimmerman <LAMZ@sympatico.ca>
Subject: Come to Toronto for O16!
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 12:36:19 -0400

PLEASE FORWARD

As the fight against neo-liberal (neo-fascist) globalization continues,
activists from across Ontario and Canada will converge in Toronto on October
16th to shut down the financial district.  Although this might appear to be
a local fight against a Canadian provincial government, activists across
North America should recognize this struggle's global significance.

The Tory (Progressive Conservative) government, under the direction of
Premier Mike Harris and his corporate lobbyists, have been using Ontario as
a testing ground for the upcoming global economic tyranny. Their policies
are nothing more than a sustained attack on the poor and are growing more
and more vicious by the day. For more info on the Tory government's policies
and the united struggle against them, please visit www.ontario.indymedia.org
and www.ocap.ca.

Activists from all over North America should come to Toronto on O16 to show
the world that we will stand united in every country, region, city and town;
and that, since local politics represent the policies of a global corporate
elite, our local struggles will consequently represent the global resistance
to this corporate tyranny.

See you in Toronto on O16!!

In the struggle,
Lysander

O16 Update! Come to Toronto! (english)
by OCF activist 8:40am Sat Oct 6 '01

Economic Disruption will go ahead in Toronto on O16! Join us!

O16 - Major Actions in Toronto! Join us! Fight to Win!

The Ontario Common Front (OCF) is a newly formed coalition that responded to
a call put out by the Ontario Coalition Against Poverty to revive the
struggle against the Provincial Tory goverment.
The Common Front recognizes that the Tories are front men, akin to hired
thugs, implementing an agenda for the rich which benefits their interests
over the interests of the majority of those in Ontario. It is due to this
recognition that the OCF aims to take the fight against the Tory government
to the rich themselves. To this end the OCF will kick off a Fall Campaign of
Economic Disruption beginning in the heart of the financial district of
Toronto on October 16. This action will not only shut down and disrupt the
financial centre of Canada but it will also be the first in a series of
actions that are designed to create a political crisis for the ruling
Tories.

This e-mail will give you a sense of some of the things that are happening
and how you can plug in. For more information check out: http://www.ocap.ca
or http://ontario.indymedia.org

CONTENTS OF EMAIL

1. ASSEMBLY
2. FUNDRAISER PARTY - REBEL GIRL 2
3. WELCOMING ASSEMBLY
4. OCTOBER 16 SHUT DOWN BAY STREET
5. POST O16
6. SOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

1. ASSEMBLY

October 6th
Common Front Assembly
Location: Ontario Institute for Studies in Education
252 Bloor St. West (St.George Subway Station)
3 pm Assembly
Information sharing re: the Ontario Common Front and the October 16 action.
1. The Guerilla Rhythm Squad will provide funky beats as people take to
their
seats.
2. Local theatre activists will perform a series of short plays
3. There will be a speaker on the Fall Campaign
4. October 16 representatives from different working groups (logistics,
legal,
research, outreach, highschool, welcoming) will provide an overview of the
day.
5. Open discussion, Q&A, affinity group networking.
6. We will close with the super star stylings of the Radical Cheerleaders.

Please note that there will be workshops in the morning covering legal,
medical, and direct action. They start at 10am.

2. REBEL GIRL 2
(Fundraiser for the legal committee)

REBEL GIRL 2: ANOTHER NIGHT OF GIRLS WORDS POLITIKS
SATURDAY OCTOBER 13TH 360 CLUB (326 QUEEN W.)
FEATURING:SPOKEN WORD PERFORMANCES AND
MUSIC BY RANDOM ORDER.
PWYC SUGGESTED 6-10$
DOORS OPEN 9:30 19+ ALL GENDERS WELCOME
CONTACT rebelgirl2001@gurlmail.com 416-533-7592

3. WELCOMING ASSEMBLY
October 14th Welcoming Assembly
Location: CLUB 360 (326 Queen Street West, east of Spadina)
Time: From 1pm well into the night
Workshops, Billeting Information, Entertainment, Socializing, Information

4. SHUT DOWN BAY STREET

OCTOBER 16th
SHUT DOWN BAY STREET!!!!
Meet at Nathan Philips Square (Queen and Bay)

5 am
Breakfast
Nothing like a good pancake breakfast to start off a day of class struggle.
(The Common Front makes no guarantee that the breakfast will be pancakes as
was
previously stated) We ask as many people as possible attend as to increase
the
safety of us all. A little bird told me that there will be surprise musical
guests who are very cool indeed.

6 ish in the morning.
Rally to march on the financial district.
It is the Ontario Common Front's plan that this will be a disciplined and
effective action. We are well aware of the political context we are now
operating in. The goal is to shut down business as usual in the financial
district through the use of snake marches. The goal is not to force a
confrontation with the police.

9am - 5pm
Outdoor music and activism chill out space.
Ryerson University
Gould and Victoria
(a few blocks north east of the financial district. Near Young and Dundas)
Ryerson students are having an activist fair and CKLN 88.1 fm is doing an
outdoor broadcast. Listen to music and a live broadcast of the action in the
financial district courtesy of our friends at CKLN 88.1 fm and Ryerson
student
activists. We ask that all people taking part in the action be sensitive to
the
surroundings and community on and around the Ryerson Campus.

12pm
Mob4Glob Rally
Meet at Simcoe Park at noon (near the CBC building on Front Street) for a
rally
and march.

5:30pm
Labour Rally
Meet at the Ministry of Labour (Dundas and University)

5. POST 016

Common Front Activities Do Not End On The 16TH!
Actions will continue throughout the province.

Here are just a few:

SUDBURY
Oct. 18th
The Ontario Common Front-Sudbury kicks off its activities in Sudbury with an
event to remember Dudley George and Kimberly Rogers. There will be a rally
at
the Provincial Court House on Elm Street at 12 noon with a number of
speakers
including Sam George, and a member of the Committee to Remember Kimberly
Rogers. This will be followed by a march downtown.

October 23.
A series of events including high school walkouts will focus on Stopping the
War on the Poor and the War on Young People. A rally will start at 10am at
Memorial Park in downtown Sudbury and will include mass panhandling and a
squeegee-in in the bank district to challenge the "Safe Streets Act." It is
hoped that a Carnival Against the Tories can be held. Other actions are also
planned. For more information or to arrange billeting in Sudbury contact
Gary
Kinsman at 705-670-1420 or GKinsman@Nickel.laurentian.ca

HAMILTON
Oct. 19th
Demo Against the Tories Meet at 11:00am at Gore Park (King and James) For
more
info: 905-522-7353 Ext. 412 HamiltonFBC@hotmail.com

LONDON
Oct. 26-28th
Shut Down The Tory Convention. Activities planned all weekend. Friday,
October
26th will start with a Native Sunrise Ceremony at the crack of dawn in
Victoria
Park. Contact: at jmcnaught@tao.ca

OTTAWA
Check out http://www.members.home.net/struggle-starts

6. Q&A

Q -What about the events of September 11th?

A- Please visit the following site:
www.ocap.ca/dispatch.cgi/ocf/Ontario_Common_Front_After_September_11

Q- Where can I find a place to stay?

A -
http://www.ocap.ca/dispatch.cgi/ocf/October_16th_-_Information_for_requestin
g_or_providing_billeting

Q- 6am is pretty damn early, why not start it later?

A. Yes getting up early is a drag. Get used to it. The Tories have
introduced
the 60 hour work week through changes to the Employment Standards Act. This
being said the decision to start the rally at this early hour was due to the
fact that we wanted to shut the financial district down, not merely engage
in a
symbolic action, but to stop it from actually starting up for the day. We
realize that this poses some logistical problems but it is nothing that a
little bit of planning can't fix. Here are some problems that have been
brought
up and some possible solutions.

Q- How do I get there when transit is not even running at that hour?

A - You use the overnight bus service. You can find a route at the following
site:
www.city.toronto.on.ca/ttc/schedules/index.htm

Q - I am afraid that the cops will pick me off in the dark in the early
morning.

A- This is quite a valid concern. The answer is solidarity, solidarity,
solidarity. We are trying to get as many people as possible to show up as
early as they can in order to increase the safety of everyone. Try to arrive
in groups and if you have to arrive alone immediately go to where the crowd
is.

Q- I was forwarded an e-mail/spoke to someone/ have a feeling that 016 will
be
an unorganized bloodbath.

A - There have been countless organizing meetings for the last several
months. We have taken precautions for a whole series of contingencies. We
have medics, legal teams, video recorders, communication teams and event
marshals. The OCF is not looking for a confrontation with the police and
those participating through the OCF have committed themselves to act in a
disciplined yet effective way. We cannot guarantee that the police won't
over react however we must not let the threat of police aggression stop us
from the important task of collective action aimed at creating a better
society.

This email was sent to: gbacque@netzero.net

--Boundary_(ID_gATZKWW+Gxs4RTM0+pJtdQ)

---