[Hpn] Fwd: COMMON FRONT INFO! Please forward widely

Graeme Bacque gbacque@netzero.net
Fri, 05 Oct 2001 15:55:30 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_R9KsK0EXv3LXgKSk6PDeuA)

------------forwarded message------------
To: ocap-toronto@lists.tao.ca
Subject: COMMON FRONT INFO! Please forward widely
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 14:59:38 -0400 (EDT)

Please forward widely.

The Ontario Common Front is a newly formed coalition that responded to a call
put out by the Ontario Coalition Against Poverty for a renewal in struggle
against the Tory agenda.The Common Front recognizes that the Tories are front
men, akin to hired thugs, implementing an agenda for the rich which benefits
their interests over the interests of the majority of those in Ontario. It is
due to this recognition that the OCF aims to take the fight against the Tory
government to the rich themselves. To this end the OCF will kick off a fall
campaign beginning in the heart of the financial district of Toronto. This e-
mail will give you a sense of some of the things that are happening and how
you
can plug in. For more information check out: www.ocap.ca

CONTENTS OF EMAIL

1. ASSEMBLY
2. FUNDRAISER PARTY - REBEL GIRL 2
3. WELCOMING ASSEMBLY
4. OCTOBER 16 SHUT DOWN BAY STREET
5. POST O16
6. SOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

1. ASSEMBLY

October 6th
Common Front Assembly
Location: Ontario Institute for Studies in Education
252 Bloor St. West (St.George Subway Station)
3 pm Assembly
Information sharing re: the Ontario Common Front and the October 16 action.
1. The Guerilla Rhythm Squad will provide funky beats as people take to their
seats.
2. Local theatre activists will perform a series of short plays
3. There will be a speaker on the Fall Campaign
4. October 16  representatives from different working groups (logistics,
legal,
research, outreach, highschool, welcoming) will provide an overview of the day.
5. Open discussion, Q&A, affinity group networking.
6. We will close with the super star stylings of the Radical Cheerleaders.

Please note that there will be workshops in the morning covering legal,
medical, and direct action. They start at 10am.

2. REBEL GIRL 2
(Fundraiser for the legal committee)

REBEL GIRL 2: ANOTHER NIGHT OF GIRLS WORDS POLITIKS
SATURDAY OCTOBER 13TH 360 CLUB (326 QUEEN W.)
FEATURING:SPOKEN WORD PERFORMANCES AND
MUSIC BY RANDOM ORDER.
PWYC SUGGESTED 6-10$
DOORS OPEN 9:30 19+ ALL GENDERS WELCOME
CONTACT rebelgirl2001@gurlmail.com 416-533-7592

3. WELCOMING ASSEMBLY
October 14th  Welcoming Assembly
Location: CLUB 360 (326 Queen Street West, east of Spadina)
Time: From 1pm well into the night
Workshops, Billeting Information, Entertainment, Socializing, Information

4. SHUT DOWN BAY STREET

OCTOBER 16th
SHUT DOWN BAY STREET!!!!
Meet at Nathan Philips Square (Queen and Bay)

5 am
Breakfast
Nothing like a good pancake breakfast to start off a day of class struggle.
(The Common Front makes no guarantee that the breakfast will be pancakes as
was
previously stated) We ask as many people as possible attend as to increase the
safety of us all. A little bird told me that there will be  surprise musical
guests who are very cool indeed.

6 ish in the morning.
Rally to march on the financial district.
It is the Ontario Common Front's plan that this will be a disciplined and
effective action. We are well aware of the political context we are now
operating in. The goal is to shut down business as usual in the financial
district through the use of snake marches. The goal is not to force a
confrontation with the police.

9am - 5pm
Outdoor music and activism chill out space.
Ryerson University
Gould and Victoria
(a few blocks north east of the financial district. Near Young and Dundas)
Ryerson students are having an activist fair and CKLN 88.1 fm is doing an
outdoor broadcast. Listen to music and a live broadcast of the action in the
financial district courtesy of our friends at CKLN 88.1 fm and Ryerson student
activists. We ask that all people taking part in the action be sensitive to
the
surroundings and community on  and around the Ryerson Campus.

12pm
Mob4Glob Rally
Meet at Simcoe Park at noon (near the CBC building on Front Street) for a
rally
and march.

5:30pm
Labour Rally
Meet at the Ministry of Labour (Dundas and University)

5. POST 016

Common Front Activities Do Not End On The 16TH!
Actions will continue throughout the province.

Here are just a few:

SUDBURY
Oct. 18th
The Ontario Common Front-Sudbury kicks off its activities in Sudbury with an
event to remember Dudley George and Kimberly Rogers. There will be a rally at
the Provincial Court House on Elm Street at 12 noon with a number of speakers
including Sam George, and a member of the Committee to Remember Kimberly
Rogers. This will be followed by a march downtown.

October 23.
A series of events including high school walkouts will focus on Stopping the
War on the Poor and the War on Young People. A rally will start at 10am at
Memorial Park in downtown Sudbury and will include mass panhandling and a
squeegee-in in the bank district to challenge the "Safe Streets Act." It is
hoped that a Carnival Against the Tories can be held. Other actions are also
planned. For more information or to arrange billeting in Sudbury contact Gary
Kinsman at 705-670-1420 or GKinsman@Nickel.laurentian.ca

HAMILTON
Oct. 19th
Demo Against the Tories Meet at 11:00am at Gore Park (King and James) For more
info: 905-522-7353 Ext. 412 HamiltonFBC@hotmail.com

LONDON
Oct. 26-28th
Shut Down The Tory Convention. Activities planned all weekend. Friday, October
26th will start with a Native Sunrise Ceremony at the crack of dawn in
Victoria
Park. Contact: at jmcnaught@tao.ca

OTTAWA
Check out http:www.members.home.net/struggle-starts

6. Q&A

Q -What about the events of September 11th?
A- Please visit the following site:
http://www.ocap.ca/dispatch.cgi/ocf/Ontario_Common_Front_After_September_11
Q- Where can I find a place to stay?
A - http://www.ocap.ca/dispatch.cgi/ocf/October_16th_-
_Information_for_requesting_or_providing_billeting
Q- 6am is pretty damn early, why not start it later?
A. Yes getting up early is a drag. Get used to it. The Tories have introduced
the 60 hour work week through changes to the Employment Standards Act. This
being said the decision to start the rally at this early hour was due to the
fact that we wanted to shut the financial district down, not merely engage
in a
symbolic action, but to stop it from actually starting up for the day. We
realize that this poses some logistical problems but it is nothing that a
little bit of planning can't fix. Here are some problems that have been
brought
up and some possible solutions.
Q- How do I get there when transit is not even running at that hour?
A - You use the overnight bus service. You can find a route at the following
site:
http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/ttc/schedules/index.htm
Q - I am afraid that the cops will pick me off in the dark in the early
morning.
A- This is quite a valid concern. The answer is solidarity, solidarity,
solidarity. We are trying to get as many people as possible to show up as
early
as they can in order to increase the safety of everyone. Try to arrive in
groups and if you have to arrive alone immediately go to where the crowd is.
Q- I was forwarded an e-mail/spoke to someone/ have a feeling that 016 will be
an unorganized bloodbath.
A - There have been countless organizing meetings for the last several months.
We have taken precautions for a whole series of contingencies. We have medics,
legal teams, video recorders, communication teams and event marshals. The OCF
is not looking for a confrontation with the police and those participating
through the OCF have committed themselves to act in a disciplined yet
effective
way.  We cannot guarantee that the police won't over react however we must not
let the threat of police aggression stop us from the important task of
collective action aimed at creating a better society.
the words "unsubcribe ocap-toronto" in the body of the message.

--Boundary_(ID_R9KsK0EXv3LXgKSk6PDeuA)

---