[Hpn] Re: [under-the-bridge] plain text version of Civil Rights Abuse Reporting Form

Thomas Cagle nh-adapt@juno.com
Wed, 03 Oct 2001 14:29:19 -0400

On Mon, 1 Oct 2001 22:33:38 -0700 under_the_bridgeproject@juno.com
writes:
> Tom I take exception to the Under The Bridge po box being listed by
> you
> as a  Henniker address.
>

> Under The Bridge
> > PO Bx 744, Henniker NH 03242
> > P(603)428-7022 F (603)428-7945
> > E-mail nh-adapt@juno.com
OK, I am going to make this bluntly clear with some irritation I may add.
I am going to recount the chain of events that lead up to this form
apearing with the header it does.

First I asked Michael Stoops by email if he would access this URL

http://www.education-rights.org/

Because it outlined what ANY organizations obligation was to provide
alternate format access.

Michael Stoops then spoke to me on the phone regarding this issue which I
have to say in all fairness he did not understand the issues I raised but
allowed that I should A. Make up an example form, B. That there was an
issue to be resolved by alternate access for blind people or print
impairment.

Again in all fairness Michael Stoops did not grant me the right to use
NCH logo. In this matter I did what was expedient. Stoops said he would
get back to me if he had any problems with a test or example form.

The test form went out.

A week passed. I CCed all the observations of test readers to interested
parties.

I called you and updated you as to all the steps I had taken Cindy. I
asked you then which address you wanted a hard copy form to take. At that
time you were unsure if you would be able to keep your post office box,
and when I asked if you wanted me to use my PO Bx, you allowed then that
would work, you gave me explicit permission to do what I did as a relay
for handling this form.

Please note that I have given the required oath for client and patient
confidentiality for the state of New Hampshire. it is a workable and
reasonable requirement of anyone who does direct care for any PWD (person
with disability). Also please note that I wanted to create a web page
listing only certain portions of the form that was to be distributed in
NH on paper, and nationally by electronic format. It did list the
principal players. With instructions on the header for them to be
directed to me and NCH.

I have no desire to usurp NCH, or dilute their brand name.

I will delete any mention of NCH, or for that matter YOUR name and
address Cindy if you so instruct me to, totally with out prejudice or
rancor. However you may NOT tell me that any of this is news, or that you
were not fully apprised of what I was doing, when I did it. Nor for that
matter may National Coalition for the Homelessness make such claim.

I will cheerfully grant that you both (NCH and Cindy) have reconsidered
and prefer not to have your names appear on this form.

I must then point out to the National Coalition that you DO have some
obligations under Section 504 of the rehabilitation act of 1976, and the
Americans with disabilities act of 1990. I am now invoking my request to
receive copies of your implementation plans and I am specifically
requesting that this include your plans to provide alternate format
access. *If* in fact you are an agency of a federal department You should
also have such evaluations pursuant to section 508 that has just been
passed this year.

I would also like your minutes for the past year, and the names address'
and phone numbers of your board of directors--should you be listed as a
non-profit.

I must remind the reader that you may not charge me for any requested
copies, nor may you seek retribution for my asking for them. If for no
other reason than your office is in the District of Columbia and you may
not hide behind sovereign immunity. In short Mr Stoops independence is a
wonderful thing, your office has requested it, It is my pleasure to grant
you your right to it. I expect copies in my hand in no more than 30 days
from today.

Please note that you can reasonably expect an additional request for your
implementation plans to arrive shortly. It will be made by a blind person
and he will expect the same documents in plain text either by disk or
ASCII text by email.

The last bit remaining to sort this issue out is in your hands Cindy, you
possess all the copies extant of paper forms with this dual header on
them. Destroy them at your pleasure.

I remain
Tom Cagle
First NH-ADAPT