[Hpn] Stand Down suggests new life to homeless veterans;Billings, Montana;9/30/01

blue unclescam@buskers.org
Mon, 01 Oct 2001 11:08:48 -0400

so if trained to kill, one gets preference. a wonderfull all american
story. i've run into this in boston, where there's a vets only shelter.
seems they had some crooks/despots runnin it and they got bailed out. as
a political face i have had many run ins with homeless vets, whom, tho
they fought for freedom, don't seem ready to allow freedom of speech or
thought on their stretch of the street.

"Morgan W. Brown" wrote:

> -------Forwarded article-------
>
> Sunday, September 30, 2001
> Billings Gazette <<http://www.billingsgazette.com>
> [Billings, Montana]
> Local/State News section
> Stand Down suggests new life to homeless veterans
> <http://www.billingsgazette.com/archive.php?section=local&display=rednews/2001/09/30/build/local/1stand.inc>
>
> By BECKY SHAY
> Of The Gazette Staff
>
> Carey-Free said when he left for his tour in Vietnam, “I was just a kid, I
> didn’t have no sense.” He was disappointed with the reception when came home
> from Vietnam in 1968.
>
> “People didn’t realize ... Maybe I felt I should be treated like a celebrity
> — at least acknowledged and respected,” Carey-Free said. “I was 20 and at
> home. I couldn’t go into a bar and drink. But I could go to Vietnam and lay
> my life on the line.”
>
> Chevalier CHEVALIER
> A few weeks later, after a sleepless night at the Montana Rescue Mission,
> Chevalier went to Goudelock. Within 72 hours Chevalier had a job and an
> apartment.
>
> “I’ve worked all my life,” Chevalier said. “I’m a master machinist
> Chevalier’s first words to Goudelock were “I want a job.”
>
> Goudelock called Dan Hutchison, a local veterans employment representative
> at the Montana Job Service. Hutchison said he “greased the skids” a little
> and helped Chevalier get hired at McDonalds.
> employers need to realize the unique qualities veterans bring to their
> industries. They are dependable, responsible and on time and like to work.
> They have lived in a structured environment (the military) a good portion of
> their careers.”
good slaves for minimum wage