[Hpn] Re: whu~* HUFF protest Today Against the Sleeping Ban at Pacific Ave. & Church S

Blazing Star sananda@hotmail.com
Fri, 23 Nov 2001 14:40:10 -0800

As if we can just rush to the airport, to get to Santa Cruz, on a moment's
or even longer notice.

To extent our just knowing that a protest is taking place -- in Santa Cruz,
today -- is productive, it is in fact productive, but I think that, as
Internet activists, we can be a lot more productive by letting each other
know what we can do online, to help.

Even if I could afford to fly or otherwise get, to Santa Cruz -- today,
tomorrow or whenever -- do you really think I would? Hell, if I was that
rich, I probably wouldn't even care about this cause!

So, who can reasonably be expected, to show up, to the below demonstration
other than the few activists already there who give a hoot? It would be
great, if we all or even a few of us could show up, at a moment's notice --
or even after weeks and months of planning -- but that just ain't the way
things happen, in the homelessworld I know.

I do think, however, that if posts instructed us over the Internet, to
e-mail timely and relevant letters of support -- to local powers-that-be, in
conjunction with local street protests -- that we could actually help that
particular cause, in a real and measurable way. Some activists can even
afford, to fax or call in their support for the protesters, but how many of
us can really be expected to show up, even if we could afford to?

I'm glad to know HUFF is protesting for homeless rights, in Santa Cruz,
today, but I really do wish I could do more, to help the homeless cause
there, than just know.

This applies, to all homeless movements, protests and struggles around the
world. Let us know exactly who, to share our concerns over the Internet
with, and some of us really will.

If someone can actually show up, to an announced protest, that is of course
better, but the vast majority of us just can't or won't. At least some of us
will write letters of support, however.

Just let us know, to whom about what, why, when, where and how we should be
expressing our concerns, other than by showing up, physically. Various
"homeless activists" have lost credibility fast after acting like all they
had to do was 'say the word', and hundreds or thousands of homeless would
show up, to protest for a particular cause, in a particular city, at a
particular date, time and place.

With all the odds, obstacles and barriers in our way, we have to be far more
realistic and pragmatic, to help the homeless, the most oppressed and needy
people on earth. Protest is great, and people protesting over the Internet
is great, too.

Coordinating street with online protests, and directing all this
pro-homeless energy and concern, at anti-homeless policies and practices, in
places like Santa Cruz, is much more likely, to produce positive local
results. Otherwise, it's just the same ole' "longtime homeless activist"
protesters local media loves, to defame, discredit, deride and derail, every
chance it gets, in deference to the powers-that-be.

Street protesters should give online supporters about a week's notice, to
start e-mailing our letters of support from all around the World Wide Web.
Think orchestra: orchestrate us, on and off the Net, so all our horns, drums
and other instruments can be heard, as we act in concert, even from our
computers, for homeless rights, in your locality, state, nation or
internationally. paz, ruben