[Hpn] Homeless Protest Planned for Olympics [2/8/02]; Salt Lake Tribune; 11/18/01

Morgan W. Brown norsehorse@hotmail.com
Sun, 18 Nov 2001 23:52:02 -0500

Below is a forward of an article concerning a homeless protest being planned
to take place in Salt Lake City, Utah on the opening day of the 2002 Winter
Olympics, February 8, 2002.

But first, a few Web site addresses -- fyi:

March For Our Lives
Salt Lake City, Utah
February 8, 2002:

http://www.kwru.org/updates/utahlist.htm

-- Find out more about the upcoming March For Our Lives in Salt Lake City on
opening day of the 2002 Winter Olympics

The ACLU of Utah and the 2002 Winter Olympic Games:

http://www.acluutah.org/wintergames.htm

Info about Olympic demonstrations:

http://www.ci.slc.ut.us/mayor/protest.htm

-- Official Salt Lake City 2002 Olympic Demonstration Information

Following the below forwarded article are the same above Web site addresses
as well as several other additional related ones too.

Morgan <norsehorse@hotmail.com>
Morgan W. Brown
Montpelier Vermont

-------Forwarded article-------

Sunday, November 18, 2001
Salt Lake Tribune <http://www.sltrib.com>
[Salt Lake City, Utah]
Homeless Protest Planned for Olympics
<http://www.sltrib.com/11182001/utah/149945.htm>

BY STEPHEN HUNT
THE SALT LAKE TRIBUNE

Advocates for the poor plan to bring hundreds, if not thousands, of homeless
people to Salt Lake City for a massive march to Rice-Eccles Stadium on Feb.
8 -- the opening day of the Winter Olympics.

Organizers hope to have 20,000 homeless and poor people participate in their
protest of economic human rights violations.

Such a huge exhibition of indigence could provide stunning contrast to
up-scale Olympic enthusiasts who paid $885 per ticket to attend the Games'
Opening Ceremony.

"We will come by car, by buses, and by planes, " said Cheri Honkala, at a
Saturday news conference in downtown Salt Lake City.

Organizers said the Olympics, where millions of dollars have been spent for
"a good time," is the perfect place to point out that millions of Americans
live in poverty.

Honkala, a member of the Philadelphia-based Kensington Welfare Rights Union,
said none of the marchers will end up sleeping on the streets or in local
homeless shelters.

Organizers expect local churches and private citizens to open their doors to
the marchers. "Salt Lake is a very religious town and the people here have
big hearts," Honkala said.

Bonnie Macri, executive director of JEDI (Justice, Economic Dignity and
Independence) Women, which is co-sponsoring the march, said organizers plan
to bring homeless people into Las Vegas on cheap flights, then bus them to
Utah.

Macri said she is meeting with the American Civil Liberties Union on Monday
to enlist its help in obtaining a permit for the march.

At 4 p.m. on Feb. 8, the marchers plan to assemble at Reservoir Park, South
Temple and 1300 East, and then walk to nearby Rice-Eccles Stadium, where the
Opening Ceremony is set to begin at 6 p.m.

---End of forwarded article---

~~~Related Web sites for additional information:

March For Our Lives
Salt Lake City, Utah
February 8, 2002:

http://www.kwru.org/updates/utahlist.htm

-- Find out more about the upcoming March For Our Lives in Salt Lake City on
opening day of the 2002 Winter Olympics

Kensington Welfare Rights Union (KWRU):

http://www.kwru.org

-- Poor People's Economic Human Rights Campaign

JEDI (Justice, Economic Dignity and Independence) Women:

http://www.jedi4women.org

-- "Justice, Economic Dignity,and Independence for
Women (J.E.D.I.) is a grass roots membership organization made up primarily
of low-income women from
multi-racial, ethnic and religious backgrounds. Our
goal is to improve the lives of women in Utah by improving their economic
security through access to
affordable quality childcare, healthcare, housing,
and jobs that offer a living wage." :: "We believe the experts on low-income
issues are the people who live and work through poverty. We believe we
should attack the barriers  and not the people. The barriers are: education,
child care access, health care, transportation, affordable housing, and
living wage jobs."

The ACLU of Utah and the 2002 Winter Olympic Games:

http://www.acluutah.org/wintergames.htm

ACLU of Utah:

http://www.acluutah.org

American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU):

http://www.aclu.org

Info about Olympic demonstrations:

http://www.ci.slc.ut.us/mayor/protest.htm

-- Official Salt Lake City 2002 Olympic Demonstration Information

2002 Winter Olympic Games in Salt Lake City:

http://www.ci.slc.ut.us/olympics/default.htm

Salt Lake City Official Web site:

http://www.slcgov.com

Salt Lake 2002:

http://www.slc2002.org/

http://www.saltlake2002.com/

-- Official site of the 2002 Olympic Winter Games

International Olympic Committee:

http://www.olympic.org/

educational purposes only.**

-------End of forward-------