[Hpn] Homeless share own stories at Brown U. panel

homey homey@ids.net
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 23:24:38 -0500

Hi all,

I wanted to respond to the Brown University Article.  It's really great to
get the faces of homelessness panel out and about to let young people know
what it's like being homeless.  Of course Joe (the 17 year old young man)
got some flack about his comments from some of the local homeless agencies
about advocating for families to live under bridges and others to not use
the shelters.  It's interesting how people have this portrayal of shelters
being this wonderful place to live.  In our neck of the woods it's become
permanent housing.  I suppose it could have been a bit less negative on the
shelters.

Have others participated on these panels?  What did they learn most from
participating as a homeless speaker?

Cat