[Hpn] Re: Joggers and Polo Ponies

Jane Imler zayante99@earthlink.net
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 06:55:00 -0600

--------------1EF585CAB5FA99419080888A

Thanks for the update. However the environmental issue is just an excuse
to coverup their own bigotry towards
the homeless. This is the way it has always been in Santa Cruz and will
continue to be until time the SHRUB
does us in. Good to see Paul Lee is still lending a hand......Jane Imler

Becky Johnson wrote:

> [...]
> considered as a potential site for the campers of Camp Paradise under
> the supervision of the SCSC. Longtime homeless advocate, Dr. Paul Lee
> was promoting the program, had enlisted 30 Camp Paradise people as
> workers, and could provide at least $50,000 in funding. But the
> environmentalists were apparently so opposed to homeless people using
> the parks and greenbelts that they rejected without examination a plan
> that is arguably good for the environment and can be utilized at a
> bargain. Councilmember Keith Sugar acting on their behalf led the
> council on October 23rd to vote to not even investigate that site or
> any other greenbelt site.
>
> It's been a classic case of environmentalists vs. homeless rights, but
> it need not be. There is no reason eco-camps can't be designed and
> operated as just one more use of the beautiful greenbelt areas that
> surround Santa Cruz. To do otherwise, when its clear no environmental
> threat has been demonstrated is to show that the flag of
> "Environmentalism" is being waved to cover up the real homeless
> bigotry behind the decision to exclude exploring the Pogonip as a
> potential site. Somehow the answer is always "no" when if comes to
> finding a place for homeless people to camp or sleep.
>
> Celia Scott needs to stop her whispering campaign against the "dirty"
> homeless. She needs to publicly explain why she sabotaged even talking
> about using the Pogonip as a future site for the 50 or 60 people
> currently living in Camp Paradise. The public needs to hear reasonable
> environmental explanations why one ecologically sensitive camp cannot
> temporarily occupy greenbelt areas while they are engaged in
> restoration work, while illegal camps, without the same ecological
> consciousness are a fact of life in those same areas.  Celia Scott did
> not return a phone call asking for her comment.
>
> If the Pogonip is unacceptable to Scott, Rigney, Matachek, and Sugar
> then they need to tell the rest of the community where the people of
> Camp Paradise are supposed to go. Certainly they can find 2 or 3 acres
> somewhere in the nearly 2000 acres of parkland for an
> ecologically-minded work camp for homeless people.
>
> *Pogonip -- An Ohlone word meaning either white fog or white death.
> The Pogonip Club which occupied the lower portions of the area in the
> '20's consisted of a golf course, a polo field, and a clubhouse
> serving alcohol, hence the word PO-GO-NIP for polo, golfing, and
> nipping. Experts disagree on which word the large, greenbelt area in
> the northern part of the City of Santa Cruz is named after.
>

> Becky Johnson can be reached by e-mail at becky_johnson@sbcglobal.net
>
> This article can be printed for free by non-profits or not-for-profits
>
>             who work for social and environmental justice.

--------------1EF585CAB5FA99419080888A

Thanks for the update. However the environmental issue is just an excuse
to coverup their own bigotry towards
will continue to be until time the SHRUB
Imler
&nbsp;

Party of Santa Cruz County </i>"And I have a blocking concern if this language
is included in the final version."&nbsp; Why would an environmentalist
oppose a plan to clean up the environment?
</i></b>the self-help encampment currently located along the eastside of
bridge, and behind a cemetery. The area had been neglected by both the
local environmentalists and the City for years as tons of trash accumulated,
and junkies and alcoholics frequented an area rarely visited by the police.&nbsp;
But now the environmentalists are insistent that the camp must go.
</b>had been to temporarily borrow 2 to 3 acres on its extreme eastern
camp.
the greenbelt areas, or to the Master Plan struck per <b>Rigney</b>'s concern
despite the efficacy of locating the camp in areas the campers would be
working.
by the City and running between the City and the <b><i>University of California
Santa Cruz</i></b>.
thousand acres of parks and greenbelt areas, it lacks the funding to&nbsp;
maintain these parks sufficiently. Litter removal, trail restoration, invasive
non-native species removal, poison oak removal, and the re-establishment
of native flora are all required. The <b>Santa Cruz Service Corps (SCSC)
</b>planned on establishing a series of temporary campsites in the parks
and greenbelt areas, and have the campers/service corps workers engage
in maintenance measures in exchange for a legal place to camp..
the environment. The taxpayers would benefit from it too.
Environmental attorney and <b>Councilmember Keith Sugar </b>and former
<b>Mayor Celia Scott </b>were adamant that the council should never consider
such a move. Despite all the environmental benefits the <b><i>Service Corps
</i></b>could offer, these few squeaky wheels prevented even a discussion
purpose.
and junkies and have removed an estimated 24 tons of trash, the environmentalists
are showing an interest in protecting this piece of the <b><i>San Lorenzo
River</i></b>'s riparian corridor.&nbsp;&nbsp; When it was covered with
years of accumulated trash, buzzed night and day with the industrial noises
smells of the freeway which crosses the river nearby, no environmentalist
voiced a hint of concern.
bag while in the Pogonip. Since joggers and polo ponies are allowed to
use the Pogonip, one has to wonder who is protecting what for whom.
had been considered as a potential site for the campers of <b><i>Camp Paradise
Paradise </i></b>people as workers, and could provide at least $50,000
in funding. But the environmentalists were apparently so opposed to homeless
people using the parks and greenbelts that they rejected without examination
a plan that is arguably good for the environment and can be utilized at
a bargain. <b>Councilmember Keith Sugar </b>acting on their behalf led
the council on October 23rd to vote to not even investigate that site or
any other greenbelt site.
it need not be. There is no reason eco-camps can't be designed and operated
as just one more use of the beautiful greenbelt areas that surround Santa
Cruz. To do otherwise, when its clear no environmental threat has been
demonstrated is to show that the flag of "Environmentalism" is being waved
to cover up the real homeless bigotry behind the decision to exclude exploring
"no" when if comes to finding a place for homeless people to camp or sleep.
"dirty" homeless. She needs to publicly explain why she sabotaged even
needs to hear reasonable environmental explanations why one ecologically
sensitive camp cannot temporarily occupy greenbelt areas while they are
engaged in restoration work, while illegal camps, without the same ecological
consciousness are a fact of life in those same areas.&nbsp; <b>Celia Scott
</b>did not return a phone call asking for her comment.
to go. Certainly they can find 2 or 3 acres somewhere in the nearly 2000
acres of parkland for an ecologically-minded work camp for homeless people.
The Pogonip Club which occupied the lower portions of the area in the '20's
consisted of a golf course, a polo field, and a clubhouse serving alcohol,
hence the word PO-GO-NIP for polo, golfing, and nipping. Experts disagree
on which word the large, greenbelt area in the northern part of the City
of Santa Cruz is named after.</i>
<center>

--------------1EF585CAB5FA99419080888A--