[Hpn] Joggers and Polo Ponies

Becky Johnson Becky_Johnson@sbcglobal.net
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 19:40:54 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_0138_01C16D44.46527FA0

GREENBELTS FOR COMMUNITY USE=20

OR JUST FOR JOGGERS AND POLO PONIES?=20

by Becky Johnson=20

November 11th, 2001

"The Pogonip* is sacrosanct" trumpeted Joe Rigney of the Green Party of =
Santa Cruz County "And I have a blocking concern if this language is =
included in the final version."  Why would an environmentalist oppose a =
plan to clean up the environment?

At issue was a letter written by Linda Lemaster to be sent to the Santa =
Cruz City Council in support of Camp Paradise the self-help encampment =
currently located along the eastside of the San Lorenzo River across =
from a tannery, under a freeway bridge, and behind a cemetery. The area =
had been neglected by both the local environmentalists and the City for =
years as tons of trash accumulated, and junkies and alcoholics =
frequented an area rarely visited by the police.  But now the =
environmentalists are insistent that the camp must go.

One proposal put forth at City Council by Councilmember Ed Porter had =
been to temporarily borrow 2 to 3 acres on its extreme eastern edge of =
the Pogonip to serve as a temporary campsite for Camp Paradise to move =
to. The newly formed Santa Cruz Service Corps (SCSC) would oversee the =
camp.  =20

The Lemaster letter to be presented to City Council was approved by the =
Green Assembly with all references to the Pogonip, the greenbelt areas, =
or to the Master Plan struck per Rigney's concern despite the efficacy =
of locating the camp in areas the campers would be working.

The Pogonip is the 640 acre parcel of greenbelt land purchased by the =
City and running between the City and the University of California Santa =
Cruz.=20

Santa Cruz has a lot of parks and greenbelt areas. Harvey West Park has =
50 acres. DeLaveaga Park has 565 acres.Arana Gulch has 63 acres. The =
Bombay Property has 250 acres. In addition to these, the City owns and =
controls Lighthouse Field, Nearly Lagoon, University Terrace Park, =
Arroyo Seco, Derby Park, Garfield Park, West Lake Park, Trescony Park, =
Lighthouse Point, Mission Plaza, San Lorenzo Park, Grant St. Park, Mike =
Fox Park, Central Park, Ocean View Park, Tyrell Park, the Eastside =
Triangle, Star of the Sea Park, Frederick St. Park, John Franks Park, =
The Town Clock, the Bethany Curve, the Beach Flats Park, and Laurel St. =
Park.

While the City of Santa Cruz is blessed with nearly two thousand acres =
of parks and greenbelt areas, it lacks the funding to  maintain these =
parks sufficiently. Litter removal, trail restoration, invasive =
non-native species removal, poison oak removal, and the re-establishment =
of native flora are all required. The Santa Cruz Service Corps (SCSC) =
planned on establishing a series of temporary campsites in the parks and =
greenbelt areas, and have the campers/service corps workers engage in =
maintenance measures in exchange for a legal place to camp..

The plan would be a win/win situation for the homeless campers and for =
the environment. The taxpayers would benefit from it too.

But hard-core environmentalists such as Joe Rigney, Patricia Matachek of =
the San Lorenzo River Urban River Project Task Force, Environmental =
attorney and Councilmember Keith Sugar and former Mayor Celia Scott were =
adamant that the council should never consider such a move. Despite all =
the environmental benefits the Service Corps could offer, these few =
squeaky wheels prevented even a discussion of temporarily using 2-3 =
acres of the Pogonip for such a purpose.=20

And they can't stay where they are now either.  Now that Larry Templeton =
and Camp Paradise have driven off the alcoholics and junkies and have =
removed an estimated 24 tons of trash, the environmentalists are showing =
an interest in protecting this piece of the San Lorenzo River's riparian =
corridor.   When it was covered with years of accumulated trash, buzzed =
night and day with the industrial noises of Salz Tannery across the =
river mixed with the sounds and smells of the freeway which crosses the =
river nearby, no environmentalist voiced a hint of concern.

Homeless people can be cited for illegal camping just for using a =
sleeping bag while in the Pogonip. Since joggers and polo ponies are =
allowed to use the Pogonip, one has to wonder who is protecting what for =
whom.=20

The Pogonip, where an estimated 600 campers already live, had been =
considered as a potential site for the campers of Camp Paradise under =
the supervision of the SCSC. Longtime homeless advocate, Dr. Paul Lee =
was promoting the program, had enlisted 30 Camp Paradise people as =
workers, and could provide at least $50,000 in funding. But the =
environmentalists were apparently so opposed to homeless people using =
the parks and greenbelts that they rejected without examination a plan =
that is arguably good for the environment and can be utilized at a =
bargain. Councilmember Keith Sugar acting on their behalf led the =
council on October 23rd to vote to not even investigate that site or any =
other greenbelt site.

It's been a classic case of environmentalists vs. homeless rights, but =
it need not be. There is no reason eco-camps can't be designed and =
operated as just one more use of the beautiful greenbelt areas that =
surround Santa Cruz. To do otherwise, when its clear no environmental =
threat has been demonstrated is to show that the flag of =
"Environmentalism" is being waved to cover up the real homeless bigotry =
behind the decision to exclude exploring the Pogonip as a potential =
site. Somehow the answer is always "no" when if comes to finding a place =
for homeless people to camp or sleep.

Celia Scott needs to stop her whispering campaign against the "dirty" =
homeless. She needs to publicly explain why she sabotaged even talking =
about using the Pogonip as a future site for the 50 or 60 people =
currently living in Camp Paradise. The public needs to hear reasonable =
environmental explanations why one ecologically sensitive camp cannot =
temporarily occupy greenbelt areas while they are engaged in restoration =
work, while illegal camps, without the same ecological consciousness are =
a fact of life in those same areas.  Celia Scott did not return a phone =
call asking for her comment.

If the Pogonip is unacceptable to Scott, Rigney, Matachek, and Sugar =
then they need to tell the rest of the community where the people of =
Camp Paradise are supposed to go. Certainly they can find 2 or 3 acres =
somewhere in the nearly 2000 acres of parkland for an =
ecologically-minded work camp for homeless people.

*Pogonip -- An Ohlone word meaning either white fog or white death. The =
Pogonip Club which occupied the lower portions of the area in the '20's =
consisted of a golf course, a polo field, and a clubhouse serving =
alcohol, hence the word PO-GO-NIP for polo, golfing, and nipping. =
Experts disagree on which word the large, greenbelt area in the northern =
part of the City of Santa Cruz is named after.=20

Becky Johnson can be reached by e-mail at becky_johnson@sbcglobal.net=20

This article can be printed for free by non-profits or not-for-profits

who work for social and environmental justice.

------=_NextPart_000_0138_01C16D44.46527FA0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><FONT size=3D2><B>
<P align=3Dcenter><FONT size=3D4>GREENBELTS FOR COMMUNITY&nbsp;USE =
</FONT></P>
<P align=3Dcenter></FONT><FONT size=3D4>OR JUST FOR JOGGERS AND POLO =
PONIES?<FONT=20
size=3D4> </FONT></P>
<P align=3Dcenter></P></B></FONT><FONT size=3D2>
<P align=3Dcenter>by Becky Johnson</FONT> </P><FONT size=3D2>
<P align=3Dcenter>November 11th, 2001</P>
<P align=3Dcenter></P></FONT>
<P align=3Dcenter></P>
<P>"The Pogonip* is sacrosanct" trumpeted <B>Joe Rigney </B>of the =
<I>Green=20
Party of Santa Cruz County </I>"And I have a blocking concern if this =
language=20
is included in the final version."&nbsp; Why would an environmentalist =
oppose a=20
plan to clean up the environment?</P>
<P>At issue was a letter written by <B>Linda Lemaster </B>to be sent to =
the=20
<B><I>Santa Cruz City Council </B></I>in support of <B><I>Camp Paradise=20
</B></I>the self-help encampment currently located along the eastside of =
the=20
<B><I>San Lorenzo River </B></I>across from a tannery, under a freeway =
bridge,=20
and behind a cemetery. The area had been neglected by both the local=20
environmentalists and the City for years as tons of trash =
accumulated,&nbsp;and=20
junkies and alcoholics frequented an area rarely visited by the =
police.&nbsp;=20
But now the environmentalists are insistent that the camp must go.</P>
<P>One proposal put forth at&nbsp;City Council by <STRONG>Councilmember =
Ed=20
Porter </STRONG>had been to temporarily borrow 2 to 3 acres on its =
extreme=20
eastern edge of the <STRONG><EM>Pogonip </EM></STRONG>to serve as a =
temporary=20
campsite for <STRONG><EM>Camp Paradise </EM></STRONG>to move =
to<STRONG><EM>.=20
</EM></STRONG>The newly formed <EM><STRONG>Santa Cruz Service Corps=20
</STRONG></EM>(<STRONG>SCSC</STRONG>) would oversee the =
camp.&nbsp;&nbsp; </P>
<P>The <STRONG>Lemaster </STRONG>letter to be presented to City Council =
was=20
approved by the <B><I>Green Assembly </B></I>with all references to the=20
<EM><STRONG>Pogonip</STRONG></EM>, the greenbelt areas, or to the Master =
Plan=20
struck per <B>Rigney</B>'s concern despite the efficacy of locating the =
camp in=20
areas the campers would be working.</P>
<P>The <EM><STRONG>Pogonip </STRONG></EM>is the 640 acre parcel of =
greenbelt=20
land purchased by the City and running between the City and the =
<B><I>University=20
of California Santa Cruz</B></I>. </P>
<P>Santa Cruz has a lot of parks and greenbelt areas. <B><I>Harvey West =
Park=20
</B></I>has 50 acres. <B><I>DeLaveaga Park </B></I>has 565 =
acres.<B><I>Arana=20
Gulch </B></I>has 63 acres. The <EM><STRONG>Bombay Property =
</STRONG></EM>has=20
250 acres. In addition to these, the City owns and controls =
<B><I>Lighthouse=20
Field</B></I>, <B><I>Nearly Lagoon</B></I>, <B><I>University Terrace=20
Park</B></I>, <EM><STRONG>Arroyo Seco</STRONG></EM>, <B><I>Derby =
Park</B></I>,=20
<B><I>Garfield Park</B></I>, <B><I>West Lake Park</B></I>, =
<B><I>Trescony=20
Park</B></I>, <B><I>Lighthouse Point</B></I>, <B><I>Mission =
Plaza</B></I>,=20
<B><I>San Lorenzo Park</B></I>, <B><I>Grant St. Park</B></I>, <B><I>Mike =
Fox=20
Park</B></I>, <B><I>Central Park</B></I>, <B><I>Ocean View Park</B></I>, =

<B><I>Tyrell Park</B></I>, the <B><I>Eastside Triangle</B></I>, =
<B><I>Star of=20
the Sea Park</B></I>, <B><I>Frederick St. Park</B></I>, <B><I>John =
Franks=20
Park</B></I>, The <B><I>Town Clock</B></I>, the <B><I>Bethany =
Curve</B></I>, the=20
<B><I>Beach Flats Park</B></I>, and <B><I>Laurel St. Park</B></I>.</P>
<P>While the <B><I>City of Santa Cruz </B></I>is blessed with nearly two =

thousand acres of parks and greenbelt areas, it lacks the funding =
to&nbsp;=20
maintain these parks sufficiently. Litter removal, trail restoration, =
invasive=20
non-native species removal, poison oak removal, and the re-establishment =
of=20
native flora are all required. The <STRONG>Santa Cruz Service Corps =
(SCSC)=20
</STRONG>planned on establishing a series of temporary campsites in the =
parks=20
and greenbelt areas, and have the campers/service corps workers engage =
in=20
maintenance measures in exchange for a legal place to camp..</P>
<P>The plan would be a win/win situation for the homeless campers and =
for the=20
environment. The taxpayers would benefit from it too.</P>
<P>But hard-core environmentalists such as <B>Joe Rigney</B>, =
<B>Patricia=20
Matachek </B>of the <B><I>San Lorenzo River Urban River Project Task=20
Force</B></I>, <B></B>Environmental attorney and <B>Councilmember Keith =
Sugar=20
</B>and former <B>Mayor Celia Scott </B>were adamant that the council =
should=20
never consider such a move. Despite all the environmental benefits the=20
<B><I>Service Corps </B></I>could offer, these few squeaky wheels =
prevented even=20
a discussion of temporarily using 2-3 acres of the <EM><STRONG>Pogonip=20
</STRONG></EM>for such a purpose. </P>
<P>And they can't stay where they are now either.&nbsp; Now that =
<STRONG>Larry=20
Templeton </STRONG>and <EM><STRONG>Camp Paradise </STRONG></EM>have =
driven off=20
the alcoholics and junkies and have removed an estimated 24 tons of =
trash, the=20
environmentalists are showing an interest in protecting this piece of =
the=20
<B><I>San Lorenzo River</B></I>'s riparian corridor.&nbsp;&nbsp; When it =
was=20
covered with years of accumulated trash, buzzed night and day&nbsp;with =
the=20
industrial noises&nbsp;of <EM><STRONG>Salz Tannery </STRONG></EM>across =
the=20
river&nbsp;mixed with the sounds and smells of the freeway which crosses =
the=20
river nearby, no environmentalist voiced a hint of concern.</P>
<P>Homeless people can be cited for illegal camping just for using a =
sleeping=20
bag while in the Pogonip. Since joggers and polo ponies are allowed to =
use the=20
Pogonip, one has to wonder who is protecting what for whom. </P>
<P></P>
<P>The <EM><STRONG>Pogonip</STRONG></EM>, where an estimated 600 campers =
already=20
live, had been considered as a potential site for the campers of =
<B><I>Camp=20
Paradise </B></I>under the supervision of the <STRONG>SCSC</STRONG>. =
Longtime=20
homeless advocate, <B>Dr. Paul Lee </B>was promoting the program, had =
enlisted=20
30 <B><I>Camp Paradise </B></I>people as workers, and could provide at =
least=20
$50,000 in funding. But the environmentalists were apparently so opposed =
to=20
homeless people using the parks and greenbelts that they rejected =
without=20
examination a plan that is arguably good for the environment and can be =
utilized=20
at a bargain. <B>Councilmember Keith Sugar </B>acting on their =
behalf&nbsp;led=20
the council on October 23rd to vote to not even investigate that site or =
any=20
other greenbelt site.</P>
<P>It's been a classic case of environmentalists vs. homeless rights, =
but it=20
need not be. There is no reason eco-camps can't be designed and operated =
as just=20
one more use of the beautiful greenbelt areas that surround Santa Cruz. =
To do=20
otherwise, when its clear no environmental threat has been demonstrated =
is to=20
show that the flag of "Environmentalism" is being waved to cover up the =
real=20
homeless bigotry behind the decision to exclude exploring the=20
<EM><STRONG>Pogonip </STRONG></EM>as a potential site. Somehow the =
answer is=20
always "no" when if comes to finding a place for homeless people to camp =
or=20
sleep.</P><B>
<P>Celia Scott </B>needs to stop her whispering campaign against the =
"dirty"=20
homeless. She needs to publicly explain why she sabotaged even talking =
about=20
using the <EM><STRONG>Pogonip </STRONG></EM>as a future site for the 50 =
or 60=20
people currently living in <B><I>Camp Paradise</B></I>. The public needs =
to hear=20
reasonable environmental explanations why one ecologically sensitive =
camp cannot=20
temporarily occupy greenbelt areas while they are engaged in restoration =
work,=20
while illegal camps, without the same ecological consciousness are a =
fact of=20
life in those same areas.&nbsp; <STRONG>Celia Scott </STRONG>did not =
return a=20
phone call asking for her comment.</P>
<P>If the <EM><STRONG>Pogonip </STRONG></EM>is unacceptable to =
<B>Scott</B>,=20
<B>Rigney</B>, <B>Matachek</B>, and <B>Sugar</B> then they need to tell =
the rest=20
of the community where the people of <B><I>Camp Paradise </B></I>are =
supposed to=20
go. Certainly they can find 2 or 3 acres somewhere in the nearly 2000 =
acres of=20
parkland for an ecologically-minded work camp for homeless =
people.</P><I>
<P>*Pogonip -- An Ohlone word meaning either white fog or white death. =
The=20
Pogonip Club which occupied the lower portions&nbsp;of the&nbsp;area in =
the=20
'20's consisted of a golf course, a polo field, and a clubhouse serving =
alcohol,=20
hence the word PO-GO-NIP for polo, golfing, and nipping. Experts =
disagree on=20
which word&nbsp;the large, greenbelt area in the northern part of the =
City of=20
Santa Cruz is named after. </P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P align=3Dcenter>Becky Johnson can be reached by e-mail at <A=20
href=3D"mailto:becky_johnson@sbcglobal.net">becky_johnson@sbcglobal.net</=
A> </P>
<P align=3Dcenter>This article can be printed for free&nbsp;by =
non-profits or=20
not-for-profits</P>
<P align=3Dcenter>who work for social and environmental=20
justice.</P></I></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0138_01C16D44.46527FA0--